I've been using makita for 25 years in the trade, my tools get absolutely hammered, day in day out. I do take care of them, keep them dry and clean, dust free etc, they last and last. Makita also has a really good spares back up too so even the old stuff is still repairable. Having said that the newer stuff is better so I am gradually retiring tools as they become more and more worn. Makita make many different grades of the same type of tool so watch out for that. Screwfix tend to stock the lighter end of the spectrum.
Buying bare tools without, batterys or chargers is the way to go, buy the bare tools you want and a couple of batteries etc individually. Have a look at power tool world, they are really on it price wise and provide a great service.

Yeah am on PTW now. This seems a good price all in to start . And the 5amp should be good for the saws.

Its mainly to drill holes all over for rivnuts to start. Fitting airline track to the side while I wait for place to open up to get ply.

Last edited:
Milwaukee for work but for cheap and cheerful home tools with interchangeable 4 amp hour li- ion batteries I've got an assortment of Einhell tools from Toolstation.

Angle grinder, jig saw, drill, rattle gun and multi tool, the whole lot was £300ish and still working over a year later

No one has mentioned the workzone or parkside options from lidl/aldi yet? I have picked up a few corded tools (glue gun and an oscillating multitool come to mind). As always, went in for something completely different then get sucked in to the middle isle and couldn't resist)! Granted its not the best quality stuff in the world and wouldn't be suitable for trademan use, but i believe they are German (poss the same Einhell brand?) are always are bargain prices with spare batteries cheep also for cordless tools and seem to do OK.

I have makita that work supply but I have all DeWalt for my own stuff the flexvolt circular saw is awesome 54fv 6ah battery

No one has mentioned the workzone or parkside options from lidl/aldi yet? I have picked up a few corded tools (glue gun and an oscillating multitool come to mind). As always, went in for something completely different then get sucked in to the middle isle and couldn't resist)! Granted its not the best quality stuff in the world and wouldn't be suitable for trademan use, but i believe they are German (poss the same Einhell brand?) are always are bargain prices with spare batteries cheep also for cordless tools and seem to do OK.
i bought a workzone drill/screwdriver from aldi 3 years guarantee for a few odd jobs around the house only ever charged it twice so cant complain

Can highly recommend milwaukee, just had a drill with only 3 weeks left of it's 3 year warranty repaired and they replaced all of it's internal parts, not the cheapest stuff but the warranty has for me always been fantastic

I would quite like to get some of the milwauke tools. I've not got any of my own yet as I use a lot of work tools. Will be good to build up some of my own.

I’m not trade ..but makita awesome......get ur self two 4amp batteries ,fast charger and defo go brushless, then you can buy bare Units and swop em around........spent most of my early years buying under powered tools....then eureka...found DIY so much easier;)

As a poster said on the previous page, this is a topic that can descend into a big argument. Milwaukee user here. Started off with a combi and impact driver. Gateway cordless tools. Bought an angle grinder for a project, turned out very to be a very useful time saving tool. Getting hooked now.

After using a colleague's (Makita) cordless SDS, I bought a Milwaukee one, as batteries the same as I had, and was good value, albeit still £350, with two new 5Ah batteries and second charger. Should have bought one long before. Such a timesaver, and capable for all masonry drilling except core drilling.

Most of the tools are used most days, all have been faultless and have a quality feel and build. Battery life is good. I have had these cordless tools longer than any others. All previous ones have failed or broken in some way or another.

tools.jpg

I have lost time, and therefore money, too many times in the past due to poor or unsuitable tools, so now buy quality tools. I even had the Snap On man coming to me for a few years, but I weaned myself off that....

. I even had the Snap On man coming to me for a few years, but I weaned myself off that....

Snap On tools.... that’s a whole other thread right there :) . I am an aircraft engineer to trade and old enough to remember when Snap On were ‘the’ tools to have in your box. The Combination of quality and weekly credit made a visit to the van a regular religious observance, secret of course. God forbid the better half ever found out how much money I spent on the Snap On van. 38 years later and I have more tools than I need but from my office window I can still watch the young lads keeping the faith on a Thursday morning.
it’s not quite the same as it was though. Higher relative wages and the internet have made lots of other brands accessible and Snap On don’t have the strangle hold they used to.
I even bought one of the first Snap On battery power screw drivers, it was pretty shit though.
Gold plated ratchet screw driver anyone??

As a poster said on the previous page, this is a topic that can descend into a big argument. Milwaukee user here. Started off with a combi and impact driver. Gateway cordless tools. Bought an angle grinder for a project, turned out very to be a very useful time saving tool. Getting hooked now.

After using a colleague's (Makita) cordless SDS, I bought a Milwaukee one, as batteries the same as I had, and was good value, albeit still £350, with two new 5Ah batteries and second charger. Should have bought one long before. Such a timesaver, and capable for all masonry drilling except core drilling.

Most of the tools are used most days, all have been faultless and have a quality feel and build. Battery life is good. I have had these cordless tools longer than any others. All previous ones have failed or broken in some way or another.

View attachment 68950

I have lost time, and therefore money, too many times in the past due to poor or unsuitable tools, so now buy quality tools. I even had the Snap On man coming to me for a few years, but I weaned myself off that....

This is what I plan to do. Buy quality from the start. Costs more initially but will last and perform great.

It was like having my own Snap On personal shopper when he used to come round with the van to my house...
20200508_141302_resized.jpg

I may have been given the odd 'limited edition' screwdriver, which does the same as any other screwdriver, but is limited edition don't you know !
20200508_141455_resized.jpg

This thread has just prompted me... I was given a Snap On lunch box with something a few years ago... It's new in the box around here somewhere... Looked on the 'Bay, they're making £80 !!!

Ffx tools are always cheap and reliable delivery times and they have offers through eBay sometimes with 15% off

Back