Makita Track saw cordless or 240v

Green Giant

T6 Guru
Hi
After some advice on whether to buy a cordless or 240 v track saw?
Iv got loads of Makita tools and 5ah batteries,I can’t justify the lovely festool saw, but I do have one of their dust extractors.
As I’d prefer to use the dust extractor when possible, should I just buy the 240v saw?
My main gripe would be the saw cord getting caught up on work piece, like my plane...
The 240v is £50 cheaper, but would I regret not going cordless?
My first job is to trim down some 20mm thick oak doors (Ledge&brace)
I don’t fancy using my 18v circular saw on these doors
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi
Iv got loads of Makita tools and 5ah batteries,I can’t justify the lovely festoon saw, but I do have one of their dust extractors.
As I’d prefer to use the dust extractor when possible, should I just buy the 240v saw?
My main gripe would be the saw cord getting caught up on work piece, like my plane...
Cheers
Just depends if you want the hassle of having cables or not to deal with.
I’ve got both 240v and the cordless version. But both mine are Dewalt and the cordless is 54v and just as powerful as the 240v.
I prefer the dewalt even to the festool. The 54v tools kick arse.
I use it all the time. Mainly for fitting wet wall and cutting doors down.
I don’t even carry my table saw in the van anymore.
Any sheet material gets cut with the plunge saw.
Great bit of kit.

Just depends if you want the hassle of having cables or not to deal with.
I’ve got both 240v and the cordless version. But both mine are Dewalt and the cordless is 54v and just as powerful as the 240v.
I prefer the dewalt even to the festool. The 54v tools kick arse.
I use it all the time. Mainly for fitting wet wall and cutting doors down.
I don’t even carry my table saw in the van anymore.
Any sheet material gets cut with the plunge saw.
Great bit of kit.
Cheers, the Makita is 36v, it’s probably not a tool I’ll use much, already finished most of the house renovations and the van furniture with the old circular saw...finding someone to hang my doors has been a struggle (Cumbria) so I’d rather just buy the right tool and do it myself, hmm, still not decided

Could you get the bluetooth module for the Festool extractor that wraps around the end of the hose & use the battery Makita?

Reactions: .50
check out evolution, they do a rail saw it is alot a cheaper than the makita, I've have thier circular saw and chop saw and am really happy with both. I've been eyeing up thier track saw when my homemade one dies!

I have the Makita 240V track saw, great bit of kit, Much prefer corded tools to battery powered, (apart from my drill, also Makita, just for ease of use in awkward locations),
You're not going to be using a tracksaw up a ladder so it's not a consideration for me.

Hi
Iv got loads of Makita tools and 5ah batteries,I can’t justify the lovely festool saw, but I do have one of their dust extractors.
Cheers
Peter Millard has done a load of reviews on track saws, like @The Flying Scotsman its his go-to for cutting. I’m fairly sure he had a look at the Evolution saw on an episode.

As for corded or not, I’d say it depends on your extraction. I have a fair few Makita batteries and will cut out in the garden, using a blower (pukka addition) to clear the dust.
Cutting indoors means the vacuum gets connected, which can get in the way depending on your setup. You can clip a cord to the vacuum hose alright, but sometimes the hose itself can be a hindrance.
I see it that if you’re always going to connect it up to a vacuum, unless that too is cordless, then you may as well get corded as it’s cheaper I just checked the prices of the Makita and, unless you’re short of batteries, the price difference between 36v and 240v is so narrow, you may as well go battery.

On another note, my mate had (he’s gone Milwaukee now) the DeWalt 54v and was able to trim the bottom of doors in situ, the side profile being so shallow that you didn’t need to take it off. I’d not be able to trim as little with the Makita, so if doors will be a thing, consider that.

Also, if you end up buying the track separate, it might be worth considering the Festool track if you think you’ll be doing any kitchen/bedroom storage stuff. It’s got holes spaced along its length that allow you to run your router along and bore out shelf pin holes.

I’ll have a look into this, I think there is a Makita Bluetooth model
There is.

Peter Millard has done a load of reviews on track saws, like @The Flying Scotsman its his go-to for cutting. I’m fairly sure he had a look at the Evolution saw on an episode.

As for corded or not, I’d say it depends on your extraction. I have a fair few Makita batteries and will cut out in the garden, using a blower (pukka addition) to clear the dust.
Cutting indoors means the vacuum gets connected, which can get in the way depending on your setup. You can clip a cord to the vacuum hose alright, but sometimes the hose itself can be a hindrance.
I see it that if you’re always going to connect it up to a vacuum, unless that too is cordless, then you may as well get corded as it’s cheaper I just checked the prices of the Makita and, unless you’re short of batteries, the price difference between 36v and 240v is so narrow, you may as well go battery.

On another note, my mate had (he’s gone Milwaukee now) the DeWalt 54v and was able to trim the bottom of doors in situ, the side profile being so shallow that you didn’t need to take it off. I’d not be able to trim as little with the Makita, so if doors will be a thing, consider that.
Difference is about £50, will be buying the rails/clamps too

I’ll have a look into this, I think there is a Makita Bluetooth model
Depending on the model of your Festool extractor, it may already have the functionality. And you’d only need the remote. If not, you can get a module that fixes to the extractor along with the remote for around £80.

With the length of the hose & cable on a Festool, I find it good to keep it away from the work area & the remote allows me to turn it on & off as required without walking back & forth.

Also dead handy if you’re doing anything from a step ladder for the same reason too.

I am on the 18v makita platform. I looked at the plunge saw but my view was that unless you are regularly cutting sheet material I wasn't sure I could justify it. I ended buying track and you can get a jig to attach to the Makita Circular Saw which IMO is an accurate saw free hand anyway. This allows you to use the circular saw as a track saw albeit no plunge.

regularly use circ saw for trimming doors in lieu of a plane. For the odd super accurate cut I just clamp a straight edge

Got a 2 x18V DLS110Z sliding mitre saw for sale as new if anyone interested

Also, if you end up buying the track separate, it might be worth considering the Festool track if you think you’ll be doing any kitchen/bedroom storage stuff. It’s got holes spaced along its length that allow you to run your router along and bore out shelf pin holes.
Do you mean this type of shelf support. If so that could be handy as I do need to make an MDF bookcase9AF622A4-E1F1-48B4-8FB8-D0F91C5029A9.jpeg

I ended buying track and you can get a jig to attach to the Makita Circular Saw which IMO is an accurate saw free hand anyway. This allows you to use the circular saw as a track saw albeit no plunge.
Makita do sell a circular saw that uses the same track as the plunge saw. I probably use that more than the plunge.

Thanks for the helpful advice, Ok, think iv decided to go cordless, so I have one less cord to get in the way, I’ll justify the cost of the tool as I’m no longer budgeting the labour costs for fitting our doors.
As a side note, I’m sure a dedicated “What Tool” thread could be useful, especially for those that are self converting their vans etc
I also want/need a pillar drill..

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful advice, Ok, think iv decide to go cordless, so I have one less cord to get in the way, I’ll justify the cost of the tool as I’m no longer budgeting the labour costs for fitting our doors.
As a side note, I’m sure a dedicated “What Tool” thread could be useful, especially for those that are self converting their vans etc
There is this thread, but it’s more about brands than tools for the job..

If not that, then just start one mate.
It’s amazing what non-van knowledge you get from this forum!

Thanks for the helpful advice, Ok, think iv decide to go cordless, so I have one less cord to get in the way, I’ll justify the cost of the tool as I’m no longer budgeting the labour costs for fitting our doors.
Totally agree mate. I could spend time talking about power tools as much as I can Plumbing & more recently…Transporters

All my tools are Festool.
I have a 240v plunge saw and the 18v cordless version.
I prefer the cordless as no leads to get in the way.
It’s not about the tool though in my opinion it’s about using the right blade.
Last week i bought a new ripping blade and cut loads of 3” strips of English oak.
Knife through butter!
Go cordless and you won’t regret it.

Back