simonnwt6

T6 Pro
Hi all,
About to buy a cordless combo drill and want to make the right choice as can see me soon getting a jigsaw and circular saw and want the batteries to match.

I don’t do loads of diy but want reliability and for them to last and can see me doing more.

Will Ryobi kit do or should I just stump up for the Makita kit?

thanks

s

Ryobi I'd put in the light use bracket, a friend got invested in it and has a selection of tools...most have worn badly (his drill head has a lot of play in it now) or can't stand up to heavy use (cordless grinder trips out with over temp everytime I use it!) and he burned his own SDS drill out after using it for a few holes in concrete.

I personally went down the DeWalt route about the same time and my stuff has stood up to similar use much better. I Find DeWalt prices are reasonable and I've not managed to brake anything yet with fairly robust use. Often good deals can be found at screwfix, toolstation and ebay

Last edited:
I use Makita 18V range for work ( Pro )

i use Milwaukee 12v for mechanics stuf (semi pro)

i use Ryobi 18V for Home DIY (DIY)

so it depends on ur budget and what you like.

+1 for Makita or Ryobi or Milwalkee.

Had Bosch, Dewalt, Hitachi in the past.

I like my Ryobi kit, like you I just want a couple of batteries that power everything, Ryobi have a huge range of tools that use the 18V batteries. I only use the bigger batteries, 5Ah.
There may well be better brands but Ryobi is more than good enough for my needs and I don't need to pay more, I'm not using the stuff for a living. That said, I helped some builder mates on a job and they tried my Ryobi tools and were surprised how good they were.
Last year my impact driver started to play up intermittently when it was 10 months old, Ryobi just sent me a new one straight away, no question, they didn't want the old one back. That type of customer service is reassuring.
As with everything, I think it depends what you want from it.

I have a Dewalt 18v drill for home DIY work and it’s 6 years old and absolutely faultless. I’ve got an 18v Ryobi impact 1/2“ driver which complements my air tools for the car/van and it’s pretty good value.

I’ve got the full 18v Mikita set,well worth it even after 6 years of use.

Got 18v dewalt set also (only because I was gifted 7 batteries &3 chargers)!,although dewalt originated from ‘Black & Decker’

The best drill/driver for working in the VW taking panels off and torx screws and the dashboard apart. etc is the Bosch 12v GSR hex driver,small and compact I use hex drill bits for drilling purposes .when you are site with 400 double socket outlets to second fix,this is one.(Bosch blue = trade industrial......Bosch green = domestic)

But the best kit I’ve owned by far is Hilti.....will beat any sds drill.

Hi S
I have worked in construction new build/refurb works all my life.
We have bought all of the makes over the years, we still have some Makita tools left but as they reach the end of there life we replace with Milwaukee.
I now only buy Milwaukee tools they are a little bit more expensive but are well worth the extra.

I also have a friend who repairs tools for a living and you can not imagine the amount of Ryobi tools they have waiting repair at the moment.
Saying that Makita still make a really good tool.

good luck.

I used dewalt for home, but all my work tools are bosch professional. Just to confuse you a little more:):) :) :)

I would highly recommend going brushless (BL on the side), which I don’t think those are
Thats interesting.

I've got both BL and brushed.

apparently the BL kit was developed for the GAS industry . . . . ?

how true that is i dont know,

have used both for a few years now i have found myself going back to brushed now, as one of the BL tools dies (more likley gets smashed to bits) i replace it with brushed.

just my personal preference.

Thats interesting.

I've got both BL and brushed.

apparently the BL kit was developed for the GAS industry . . . . ?

how true that is i dont know,

have used both for a few years now i have found myself going back to brushed now, as one of the BL tools dies (more likley gets smashed to bits) i replace it with brushed.

just my personal preference.

I went with reviews and recommendations, that leaned towards the increased power and longevity of brushless. But to be fair, you no doubt have far more experience than me!

Back