Which Jump Starter?

Wow just ordered the gb170 I’m glad I didn’t order it last week when they were £160
Bargain :thumbsup:

Gota love a NOCO Boost pack + Chargers . . . .

here we see a NOCO GB70 powering the MAXISYS Diag Scanner . . .

20191206_141641.jpg

heres the scanner . . .

20191206_141711.jpg

which is being used on our BMW E61 as the Air suspension had collapsed . . . . .

20191206_141731.jpg

were using all the kit to replace the air-spring . . . . (new one fitted , below)

20191206_141739.jpg

and finally, the NOCO GB1500 charger running as a Power supply and charger to keep the cars electrical system alive (Air ride on this BMW is 12v air pump etc )

20191206_141806.jpg

Sorry Victron . . . . . . . . . Today NOCO gets the Prize. . . . . =]

and FYI - Car and driver happy . . .

Air Ride system bled down,
old leaking airspring removed,
new airspring installed.
system pressurized,
level control system tested.
Car put back together . . . .
Charger left on for a few extra hours . . .
Road test complete - Car and driver happy and doing well.

Well I can officially say the gb40 is a piece of crap, had a transit fail today so hooked up a gb40 to get it going and home back to a garage and nothing, nada just flashed lots of lights and refused to crank it !!! Turned over twice and that’s it no start no crank just gave up, had to drive miles and jump it off my van to get it going !

Well I can officially say the gb40 is a piece of crap, had a transit fail today so hooked up a gb40 to get it going and home back to a garage and nothing, nada just flashed lots of lights and refused to crank it !!! Turned over twice and that’s it no start no crank just gave up, had to drive miles and jump it off my van to get it going !

Mine failed to start my t6 last week. No spark, few turnovers and then it was dead (from full!).

Lucky I bought it principally as a 12v supply.

Well I have to agree, you need a gb70 or up for the T6.... I've now sold the GB40 and soulikai boostpacks..........

I'm running the GB70 and GB150 for booster packs.

Mine failed to start my t6 last week. No spark, few turnovers and then it was dead (from full!).

Lucky I bought it principally as a 12v supply.
I'm a bit curious... any idea at what temperature GB40 was held before start attempt, and also when it was charged last time (weeks/months ago)?

I'm a bit curious... any idea at what temperature GB40 was held before start attempt, and also when it was charged last time (weeks/months ago)?
Mine was room temp. Was being stored inside.

Reactions: mmi
The GB40 just doesn't have enough stored energy, look at the size difference . . . . . .

I had a similar outcome as the above (@Pauly & @Ann3x ) when trying to start a flat Vaux Astra 1.7l Derv, no dice the battery pack just drained itself into the cars battery and glow plug pre-heat stage, failing to turn the car over . . . . . went back to the van, got out the GB70 - Boom ! fire right up no worries.

The GB70 is over twice the power of the GB40

GB40 - A lithium battery jump starter rated at 1,000 Amps (7,000 Joules3S).
GB70 - A lithium battery jump starter rated at 2,000 Amps (15,700 Joules3S).
GB150 - A lithium battery jump starter rated at 4,000 Amps (22,500 Joules3S).

NOCO - Lithium Jump Starters

20191112_174911-jpg.54305

Last edited:
The GB40 just doesn't have enough stored energy, look at the size difference . . . . . .

I had a similar outcome as the above (@Pauly & @Ann3x ) when trying to start a flat Vaux Astra 1.7l Derv, no dice the battery pack just drained itself into the cars battery and glow plug pre-heat stage, failing to turn the car over . . . . . went back to the van, got out the GB70 - Boom ! fire right up no worries.

The GB70 is over twice the power of the GB40

GB40 - A lithium battery jump starter rated at 1,000 Amps (7,000 Joules3S).
GB70 - A lithium battery jump starter rated at 2,000 Amps (15,700 Joules3S).
GB150 - A lithium battery jump starter rated at 4,000 Amps (22,500 Joules3S).

NOCO - Lithium Jump Starters

20191112_174911-jpg.54305

infact i got it on film . . . . . . . .

watch the GB40 fail miserably . . . . . i was surprised myself that it didnt start this 1.7L Derv.....

video here >>> https://photos.app.goo.gl/3hbuuAVUAoTuoEXQ9

upload_2019-12-7_10-30-48.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
Mine was room temp. Was being stored inside.
Thanks.
had a similar outcome as the above (@Pauly & @Ann3x ) when trying to start a flat Vaux Astra 1.7l Derv, no dice the battery pack just drained itself into the cars battery and glow plug pre-heat stage, failing to turn the car over . . .
Probably so. Makes me wonder if it would have worked better if starter battery was disconnected to prevent the drain and Noco fed only +cable o_O. Not necessarily feasible though...

I actually had two of them, both brand new and both fully charged within the last couple days before use
They had been stored in vehicle and temps were down first thing in the morning I would guess they were at >5C
The first one got a few cranks the second one got nothing, turned out to be a suspect battery and I replaced it but the vehicle started fine when jumped from another vehicle and would restart fine but would go flat if not used everyday
Pretty disappointed in the gb40 as I bought 2 of them recently to leave in work vans just in case, also bought a gb70 for out transporter so I have 1 that should be ok

Should also mention it was a mk7 transit 2.2 diesel

@Pauly sell those GB40s on ebay, your almost get your money back, mine sold within 48hrs.

Stick with the GB70 or if you want to go LARGE get a GB150.

The unit sensed it was connected and powered up, just didnt have enough energy to get it going
The battery wasnt totally flat it did just about crank before connecting the noco, i just think the 40 is a tad too small for this application

Back