Which Jump Starter?

Another example of 'trick specs' - not a jump starter but as a portable 12v source for camping etc you might at first think this was very handy, a 52 amp hour LiFePo4 in a neat package:
At least if you look carefully they do state in the small print that the 52Ah figure is at the 3.2v cell level, but its well hidden.
Theoretical Ah at 12v should be 10-12, but bear in mind that cell capacities too are always exaggerated. Whilst it is still a useful gadget, to me its a form of advertising deception:
Cheers
Phil

beaudens.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Noco GB70 and have kept it in the van on longer trips. We got back from a 2 1/2 week trip around Europe on Thursday, to find that my wife's Ford Fiesta battery was flat. She thought we were going to have to manually manoeuvre her car around the drive to get it close enough to another car to use jump leads, but yours truly hauled out the GB70, and 30 seconds later her car started immediately. She thinks it's a magic box, as "there can't be enough power in there to start my car".

Very impressed.

Pete

I bought a Noco GB70 and have kept it in the van on longer trips. We got back from a 2 1/2 week trip around Europe on Thursday, to find that my wife's Ford Fiesta battery was flat. She thought we were going to have to manually manoeuvre her car around the drive to get it close enough to another car to use jump leads, but yours truly hauled out the GB70, and 30 seconds later her car started immediately. She thinks it's a magic box, as "there can't be enough power in there to start my car".

Very impressed.

Pete
its good to hear "real life" test situations. NOCO for the win =]

With the jump leads on the Noco GB70 and above not being able to detach, as the GB50 and below can, do the jump leads get in the way at all when being used as a powerbank?

They clamp on the side of the package like in the picture below, so they don't move around.

Pete

721906.jpeg

Been away in the van for 7 weeks. Passat left on drive all that time. Got out my Noco GB50, all excited and ready to use it on the Passat and blow me the Passat started first time without the need for the Noco. So it’s gone back in its case waiting for another day. Not sure if I was happy it started or unhappy I didn’t get to test the Noco.

In reply to Pete C.
It was more of if it is cumbersome and how much the leads themselves get in the way and if you were using it as a USB powerbank when camping.
I don't think I need more than power the GB50, but we always want bigger
I may wait to see if there are any deals on Black Friday.

upload_2019-11-11_10-13-37.png

just an update on the NOCO range of boost packs . . .

I've added the GB70 to the collection.

I would only recommend the GB70, GB150 and above for the T6, or similar. if jump-starting is your goal. (They are awesome and very powerful)

The GB40 and Suaoki will only be used as USB power banks now. - they are both under powered and failed to start a 1.9D Vuax Astra this morning.

So if you want NOCO, go with a GB70 or GB150..

here s the new GB70:

20191112_174808.jpg

the case was from Amazon . . .

20191112_174811.jpg

here a size comparison next to the GB150 . . .

20191112_174842.jpg

and here are all three together . . . . .

20191112_174911.jpg

Seems you have almost every Noco jump starter:>)
I found this on Youtube,
The other jump starters are compared to the Noco GB40 only for the reason that they are in a similar price bracket, most are cheaper and are supplied with hard cases.
There are some seriously impressive real world results, the build quality seems inferior to the Nocos and may not last, but for the money maybe worth a go.
I also learnt that Ablemail have a Bluetooth Battery monitor in development that allows editing of the charging profiles.
Ablemail battery monitor.JPG

Seems you have almost every Noco jump starter:>)
I found this on Youtube,
The other jump starters are compared to the Noco GB40 only for the reason that they are in a similar price bracket, most are cheaper and are supplied with hard cases.
There are some seriously impressive real world results, the build quality seems inferior to the Nocos and may not last, but for the money maybe worth a go.
I also learnt that Ablemail have a Bluetooth Battery monitor in development that allows editing of the charging profiles.
View attachment 54309
yep i saw that video today . . . . its a shame he didnt have a GB70 to test......

the GB40 just isnt good enough for a 1.9/2.0 diesel with a dead/very flat battery.

Ill keep an eye-out for the Ablemail - it looks like the same as the Victron Bluetooth unit.

Last edited:
The GB40 test showed it to be seriously lacking in power.
The PF comparison criteria seems to be sub $100, I assume that's why the GB70 wasn't included. Are there any other jump starters that are in the Noco GB70, and up, price bracket?
According to Jonathan at Ablemail, he is having some issues getting the Battery Monitor released, I don't if this is internal, or regulatory.

about to order one, probably the GB70 - have been looking at it since midnight when it began... you guys just made up my mind!!...

GB150 is only £181.60

if anyone fancies the BIGBOY

upload_2019-11-22_11-45-23.png

Back