Which Inverter/Generator ?

Can anyone tell me what size inverter would be recommended for a 600w coffee machine for my camper.
I’m a coffee addict and would really like a machine in my van, I am currently using the aeropress.

Also would my 100ah battery be able to cope ?

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me what size inverter would be recommended for a 600w coffee machine for my camper.

We use a small Nespresso machine which I am sure without being able to check at the moment is over 1kW, so yours sounds very small. We use a 1.5kW inverter which is sufficient and the battery drops perhaps 2% per session.

1000w. You'll need to run engine if you're pulling 600w as 100ah won't last long until bolts drop to an unusable level.

I was hoping that the battery would cope without starting the engine, that’s why I picked the coffee machine with a low(ish) watts useage.

That’s a shame, back to the drawing board.

Depends on your battery type.

From our experience a conventional battery may not be sufficient, but a 100Ah lithium battery should be more than adequate for a 1kW inverter. This would give both higher current output and larger usable capacity. How long it lasts depends of course on many other factors. It probably comes down to cost; how much do you value your coffee?

Depends on your battery type.

From our experience a conventional battery may not be sufficient, but a 100Ah lithium battery should be more than adequate for a 1kW inverter. This would give both higher current output and larger usable capacity. How long it lasts depends of course on many other factors. It probably comes down to cost; how much do you value your coffee?

Hmm, how much do I value my coffee.

Let’s say it’s an absolute must :D

Would a 1kw inverter be enough for the coffee maker ? Or is it better to go slightly larger ?

always best to go larger with inverters . . . .at least 25%

i prefer 50% margin. . . . it stresses out the inverter and electrics a lot less. (and will last a longer longer)

so if your machine is 600W then look at 800W or 1000W

id go straight for the 1000W

id also go for pure sine wave (more expensive but work with everything) and not bother with the modified sinewave (cheaper but dont work well with laptop chargers and the like)

Victron make some great inverters: You searched for 'inverter' | Energy Solutions | Energy Solutions

i run pure sine Victron & Cotek larger inverters and Bestek small plug in inverters.

always best to go larger with inverters . . . .at least 25%

i prefer 50% margin. . . . it stresses out the inverter and electrics a lot less. (and will last a longer longer)

so if your machine is 600W then look at 800W or 1000W

id go straight for the 1000W

id also go for pure sine wave (more expensive but work with everything) and not bother with the modified sinewave (cheaper but dont work well with laptop chargers and the like)

Victron make some great inverters: You searched for 'inverter' | Energy Solutions | Energy Solutions

i run pure sine Victron & Cotek larger inverters and Bestek small plug in inverters.

Thanks @Dellmassive, I have a Victron controller ( which is great) so I’ll look for a Victron inverter as well.

In your opinion do you think my 100ah leisure battery will be ok for the short period of time that the coffee machine is making my morning fix :geek:?

Yes.... for a short while.

But it will take a big chunk out of the battery.... so make sure you have a good way of recharging it.

So good solar or Dc-dc etc etc.

W=v*a

600w=12v*50a

So your machine will be drawing 50amps when running.....

100ah battery has 50ah usable power. 50% DOD.

50A /50ah I'd say it would be able to run for 15/20mins before the volt sag becomes too much.

So yes you can use it on the morning for a few times etc . . . . But it will need a boost charge that day.

If you realy like your coffee..... look at a lithium lifepo4 drop in replacement battery.

But it will take a big chunk out of the battery.... so make sure you have a good way of recharging it.

W=v*a

600w=12v*50a

50A /50ah I'd say it would be able to run for 15/20mins before the volt sag becomes too much.

So yes you can use it on the morning for a few times etc . . . . But it will need a boost charge that day.

If you realy like your coffee..... look at a lithium lifepo4 drop in replacement battery.

Thank you @Dellmassive, yes I’ve got a 250w Photonic solar panel which charges my leisure battery pretty good.

I’ll also look at the lithium battery :thumbsup:

Many thanks.

Haven't seen those running before. Seems a bit cheap compared to the main players, but that's not to say it's not suitable.

I'd personally recommend Victron, Cotek, samlex,

I think with inverters you get what you pay for....

Let's see what inverters other people are using......?

I grabbed a Voltronic pure sine inverter, as I already had the rest of their gear, it got a remote panel and it ties in with the voltronic switch and display panels

I have the SMI 1200 version, as it’s only use is for the induction cooker. It does 1200 watt continuously and 2000watt peak.

It is hard wired into my 230 volt via a RCD and I use the remote to switch it on when needed. I never leave the inverter on, as they waste power when in stand by mode

You do get what pay for when it comes to inverters.

There is a lot off cheap crap out there, do your research, as You are dealing with 230 volts and the cheaper crap aren’t always isolated and aren’t pure wave inverters.

I would agree with getting a pure sine wave model. You may not need it for what you want to power now, but you will probably hit problems later. Been there, wasted money the first time.

Pete

W=v*a

600w=12v*50a

Or get an Aeropress. More than acceptable coffee whilst camping, easy to clean and no invertor required :D

AeroPress | On The Go Coffee Maker | Outdoor Coffee Machine | AeroPres

Remote on/off switch.

Or master power switch.

Inverters use power on standby so best shut down when not in use.

Back