EHU + Inverter Through Same Sockets

Yeh. But it depends on your power source running the inverter.

Have you got enough power to run the inverter for the time needed?

We run a Roamer 230ah lithium battery, on a Renogy 1000w inverter, and recharge from a 50A Renogy dc-dc charger, and have 400w mobile solar during summer.
300W inverter, 110ah AGM, 160W solar and only running light loads like a laptop charger or hair straighteners on occasion.

out of interest @Qnapper do you leave your inverter switched on i.e. on the physical unit? or do you turn it on when you set off on a trip knowing the box of magic will kick in? Id expect an inverter would still draw a moderate amount even without being used, if nothing else just by dissipating heat. maybe @Dellmassive could provide some wisdom here.

Otherwise thanks gents, i now know what i need to do!
Here you go:
This is a 1200W inverter drawing 18W at idle:
8764469C-1BDA-4147-84A6-92A23260C522.jpeg

1D1E8784-0FD2-4A55-A274-D3F5F6192DD2.jpeg

Last edited:
out of interest @Qnapper do you leave your inverter switched on i.e. on the physical unit? or do you turn it on when you set off on a trip knowing the box of magic will kick in? Id expect an inverter would still draw a moderate amount even without being used, if nothing else just by dissipating heat. maybe @Dellmassive could provide some wisdom here.

Otherwise thanks gents, i now know what i need to do!
Sorry for the late reply, was off grid for a few days and no internet access.

I only switch on the inverter (it will draw around 1/3amps, which is wasted sitting in standby) when I need to use it, as Dellmassive has also answered. I also have a 180amp lithium battery, 1800w inverter, and recharge from a 30A dc-dc charger, and have 200watt solar on the roof and 100watt folding panel during summer. I have not paid EHU now for 16 months (saving around 3/5 quid a night on some sites here in EU) if we need to go on sites, but having said that, if it's free in fees then why not.........

We use when on the road:

Air Fryer 1000watt
Coffee maker 900watt
Toaster 700watt
Induction hub 1800 watts (no more than 1200 watts in settings)
Fan 70 watts when needed for cat (gets warm here in Spain) 12 volts ones are crap.
Charger computer, phones etc via 12 volts where possible
We move around every 1/2/3 days depending on where we are, so the battery gets charged well.

Last edited:
As you say, I never used the EHU in my caddy. never had an inverter but managed fine so am not expecting to need to use it all that often but best to include it for future purposes.
My thinking really is that if i have to turn the switch on for the inverter anyway, its not exactly a hardship to have a manual switch for the few times i will use it. saving me a bit of cash plus a little more important the space personally.

As you say, I never used the EHU in my caddy. never had an inverter but managed fine so am not expecting to need to use it all that often but best to include it for future purposes.
My thinking really is that if i have to turn the switch on for the inverter anyway, its not exactly a hardship to have a manual switch for the few times i will use it. saving me a bit of cash plus a little more important the space personally.
When space is so important, anything that makes life simpler and stream lined works for me. Enjoy

For a single socket fed from an inverter I have solved the problem of switching the inverter on & off by fitting a microswitch in the socket which operates whenever a plug is inserted, this switches the inverter on and off as required.
I see no reason why multiple similar sockets with microswitches in parallel would not work in a similar manner. To eliminate the inverter switching on when 240v was available from EHU an additional relay contact (a relay energised by the incoming 240v) could break the inverter activation circuit.
Yes a proper 240v changeover would still be required but the above would make inverter activation automatic when the required conditions were met.

The above may sound complex to some but my trade makes it simple to me.

For a single socket fed from an inverter I have solved the problem of switching the inverter on & off by fitting a microswitch in the socket which operates whenever a plug is inserted, this switches the inverter on and off as required.
I see no reason why multiple similar sockets with microswitches in parallel would not work in a similar manner. To eliminate the inverter switching on when 240v was available from EHU an additional relay contact (a relay energised by the incoming 240v) could break the inverter activation circuit.
Yes a proper 240v changeover would still be required but the above would make inverter activation automatic when the required conditions were met.

The above may sound complex to some but my trade makes it simple to me.
Can you give more details on the microswitch setup?
I have a renogy inverter which has built in ehu switchover. And it has a remote on/off switch.
I was thinking it would be good to have a single gang switched socket and have a way to use the switch to switch on/off the inverter.

Can you give more details on the microswitch setup?
I have a renogy inverter which has built in ehu switchover. And it has a remote on/off switch.
I was thinking it would be good to have a single gang switched socket and have a way to use the switch to switch on/off the inverter.
Here are the best photos that I have kept, the socket and switches (for lights) are standard CBE items.
1673180218482.png
1673180231046.png

The microswitch was similar to these but actually an ex BT telephone item.

Here are the best photos that I have kept, the socket and switches (for lights) are standard CBE items.
View attachment 184430
View attachment 184431

The microswitch was similar to these but actually an ex BT telephone item.

Very clever.

I have brought the Renogy 1000w inverter, with built in change over switch. I’m hoping to mount the inverter under drivers seat, and use this to power up the 240v socket/s when not on EHU.
Inverter power use will be 6 minutes at 400-500w ( hot choc velvetiser ) Two cups worth!
Our 160ah Lithium Leisure battery will be under passenger seat, so the cable run length from batttery to inverter will be around 1meter max.
The inverter remote on/off switch will be mounted near 240v sockets.
Does all the above sound feasible?
Cheers
( we like hot chocolate!)

Back