Which Inverter/Generator ?

The kettle will draw huge amounts of current, so inverter will be massive, and have to be hard wired in, and will kill a starter battery quickly.
Much easier and way cheaper to boil water on a cheap portable gas stove.

Pete

I'd agree with Pete C, even a low power caravan kettle is going to be 1kw.

If you can use gas for a kettle, everything else should be fine on 12v.

As for coolers, 12v is possiblebbut they are reportedly quite power hungry. Have a look here :

Similar discussion here: 240v Inverter
Wanting an inverter for a kettle and phone charging is like walking into a tool-shop and asking
for a hammer. "Whats it for?" "oh just demolition and panel pins"... ;)

Read through some of Dells threads and others, when your using 12v batteries its totally different from mains 240v. It's not a simple plug and play situation.

In calculating the loads for my new van install, I am a bit perplexed by how inverters are rated. I think I know the correct answer but would appreciate some validation from some more experienced minds.

The inverter I am considering the Victron Phoenix 12/375, a 300W inverter. It is my understanding that a 4mm2 cable with a 30A fuse should be sufficient, however, the peak power of the inverter is 700W...

I am assuming however that a 70A fuse (& cable) is not required, as the internal (non-replaceable) fuse in this inverter is only rated to 40A. I expect this is due to using 'slow' fuses which can handle a brief surge to a higher current.

As you can see, I am making a number of assumptions here. I have scoured the Victron wiring documentation, but the only diagram I found with the 12/375 inverter does not list the rating of the fuse or cable.

You are correct in your first assumption. Also the length of the cable has a bearing on its current carrying capacity. You can also use a 30A resettable fuse and this allows you have a safer lower rating.
Circuit breakers are often better than fuses in these circumstances as the “slowness” can be chosen.

You are correct in your first assumption. Also the length of the cable has a bearing on its current carrying capacity. You can also use a 30A resettable fuse and this allows you have a safer lower rating.
Circuit breakers are often better than fuses in these circumstances as the “slowness” can be chosen.

Thanks Loz. Cable length will always be as short as possible, and I only expect to use the inverter for laptops and battery chargers etc so I will start with a conventional 30A blade fuse.

I got a nice mini Nespresso Essenza coffee maker and a milk frother from Santa this year for the van....just wondering about the feasibility of using them when i'm not on a 240v hook up....the coffee machine is 240v 1200-1310w and the frother 240v 500w. I have a 105ah Lifpo leisure battery.....could I use either from the LB or from a 12v-240v inverter in the cig lighter adapter from the starter battery with the engine running?
Cheers Guys...happy Sunday!View attachment 96408
Dont know if you may be able to help please @Dellmassive or @Deaky with this scenario....I know its probably in the wrong forum thread soz, Cheers.

I run a 1200W Tassimo from a 3000W inverter connected to my leisure battery and it works fine. The only issue is if used with an AGM (as I was) it really thumps the battery and you won't get more than 2 cups without giving it a good charge. You also need meaty cables, I used 25mm2, and plugging into the cig lighter, or using it from your starter battery is a no-no. I've got lithium now so expect to get coffee at will :)

Apologies for appearing 'Dim' on this.:unsure:
I run a 1200W Tassimo from a 3000W inverter connected to my leisure battery and it works fine. The only issue is if used with an AGM (as I was) it really thumps the battery and you won't get more than 2 cups without giving it a good charge. You also need meaty cables, I used 25mm2, and plugging into the cig lighter, or using it from your starter battery is a no-no. I've got lithium now so expect to get coffee at will :)
Hi @andys.....so been thinking.....what kind of job would it be to connect a 3000w inverter to my lithium leisure battery in order to get 'coffee at will'?
What make of inverter did you use and what other bits would I need please...soz but a bit dim on this subject matter. Thank you....all in the name of decent coffee though!

Bestek do some nice cheaper ones. 100-300w

500w up mark you have some nice pro options.

Victron
Cotek
Redatc
Renogy
Sterling

I need an inverter to charge my EBike. 500 w should be plenty. Any suggestions ?
Hi
Riese & Muller Tinker Vario Bosch motor/500w battery
I had the Victron 350w installed, works fine. Takes very little out of my Li-ion Leisure batteries , charges as fast as it does at home, with very little draw on the batteries.

First try and see if there is a 12v car charger for your brand of e-bike, it will be way more efficient and use less power.

Definitely check this, way nicer solution than converting through mains voltage and back down again.

Back