Which eBike?

The 3 of us all have Cubes very pleased with them. We all have hard tails as full sus adds about 1500 to the cost!
Loz Jr has a Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro with 625 battery in the frame.
64D6DCB0-5BC8-4617-B27A-2CEEA49A07EA.jpeg

OK, next question then is why do you need wide knobbly tyres for that sort of work? The drag and weight are making the hills harder, therefore necessitating the motor to help overcome this.

If you want to ride further, the distance that you can ride improves naturally. Lets say you set a goal of a 100 mile ride. No one will be able to do that on day one, but start at say 20 miles and work up to higher miles from there. Surely there is a higher sense of achievement in doing that?

For what it's worth, and for the type of terrain you would like to ride, have you thought about a 'drop bar' option? I hate to use the word 'gravel bike' but you may find something like this more versatile? It requires a different position to be adopted, but a flat bar full-susser may negate some of the benefits you are looking for?
The Merida eSILEX and the Orbea Gain ebikes are really good options, and there are a loads more options out there - which is where this thread could transform into a lengthy one (but isnt that why forums can be good!?)! Do take a look - the wheel and tyre capacity on these bikes should be seen as a suspension system in their own right!! They are super plush to ride. I used to race in Europe and the coaching staff would use road e-bikes to join in training sessions and would use them for everything - trails and road, training rides and shop trips. A different set of wheels can be added to suit all needs.

Just another opinion to throw into the mix!!

For what it's worth, and for the type of terrain you would like to ride, have you thought about a 'drop bar' option? I hate to use the word 'gravel bike' but you may find something like this more versatile? It requires a different position to be adopted, but a flat bar full-susser may negate some of the benefits you are looking for?
The Merida eSILEX and the Orbea Gain ebikes are really good options, and there are a loads more options out there - which is where this thread could transform into a lengthy one (but isnt that why forums can be good!?)! Do take a look - the wheel and tyre capacity on these bikes should be seen as a suspension system in their own right!! They are super plush to ride. I used to race in Europe and the coaching staff would use road e-bikes to join in training sessions and would use them for everything - trails and road, training rides and shop trips. A different set of wheels can be added to suit all needs.

Just another opinion to throw into the mix!!
Never ridden on a drop bar bike - look like racer handle bars... hmmm. Not sure how I’d like those. Bikes look good though.

OK, next question then is why do you need wide knobbly tyres for that sort of work? The drag and weight are making the hills harder, therefore necessitating the motor to help overcome this.

If you want to ride further, the distance that you can ride improves naturally. Lets say you set a goal of a 100 mile ride. No one will be able to do that on day one, but start at say 20 miles and work up to higher miles from there. Surely there is a higher sense of achievement in doing that?
I agree, but I have never cycled as much since getting these, we ride a lot of bridleways and these are very muddy and slippery so the tyres suit this terrain.
I am sure you could easily do 100 miles on a road bike with thin hard slick tyres but that's boring to me, each to their own etc. this is more for enjoyment rather than pure exercise.

Last edited:
Never ridden on a drop bar bike - look like racer handle bars... hmmm. Not sure how I’d like those. Bikes look good though.
Yes, it does feel different to a wide, flat bar MTB, but can provide various hand positions that can help over different terrain. Try not to think of these as 'racing bars' too much, as the geometry of the bike is not really a 'race design' but more of a long day in the saddle. These bikes are slightly lighter too. Good luck!

Just to add, the first e-bike we purchased was for Mrs Loz after she had mainly recovered from her operation and subsequent heart attack @54. I had my old faithful LTS GT full mtb we used to go out for a few miles once every couple months, then after she got the e-bike she was just powering past me on the hills whilst I was simulating a coronary, this was no fun and was putting me off. So 6 months later I bought one and suddenly we were doing 20 miles every weekend up and down the tow paths and around the lanes, it became so enjoyable, we tend to go between 20-30 miles but have done 50+ in the Elan Valley..
We also purchased a couple of Sena R1 helmets with built-in intercoms so we can chat to each other whilst riding.

Last edited:
Just to add, the first e-bike we purchased was for Mrs Loz after she had mainly recovered from her operation and subsequent heart attack @54. I had my old faithful LTS GT full mtb we used to go out for a few miles once every couple months, then after she got the e-bike she was just powering past me on the hills whilst I was simulating a coronary, this was no fun and was putting me off. So 6 months later I bought one and suddenly we were doing 20 miles every weekend up and down the tow paths and around the lanes, it became so enjoyable, we tend to go between 20-30 miles but have done 50+ in the Elan Valley..
We also purchased a couple of Sena R1 helmets with built-in intercoms so we can chat to each other whilst riding.
Wow, inspiring! I’d like to do a mix of ebiking and normal biking but I want the ebike to bring the enjoyment back and make life a little easier while pushing distance and climb limitationS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve got a Focus Jam2e (as well as a stable of others non electric bikes of various types). Originally bought for Mrs Mike23864 however whilst great on the ups, it has its limitations on the downs as its heavy to manoeuvre. We end up swapping bikes at the top and there’s no way she’d lift it over gates etc. It’s a lot harder on chain, sprockets and cassette too. What I’ve found though is it helps with motivation, particularly if you have lost some fitness and you are worried you might get dropped by ur mates. It still requires effort though .

I’ve got a Focus Jam2e (as well as a stable of others non electric bikes of various types). Originally bought for Mrs Mike23864 however whilst great on the ups, it has its limitations on the downs as its heavy to manoeuvre. We end up swapping bikes at the top and there’s no way she’d lift it over gates etc. It’s a lot harder on chain, sprockets and cassette too. What I’ve found though is it helps with motivation, particularly if you have lost some fitness and you are worried you might get dropped by ur mates. It still requires effort though .
don’t mind the effort as that’s the point, just hate getting a quarter way up a hill and losing puff or the knees going!

New here so "Hi".
Saw this thread and thought I should chip in.
I have a 2020 Cube 160 HSL Stereo like this one..
337112_light.jpg
I went down the emtb route because my knackered knees mean that riding any sort of decent off road track is painful without assistance on the hills. I love it! It's fantastic BUT..
They're expensive at £4000.
I needed a new rear cassette and chain after 300 miles! I ride in proper Yorkshire muck, rivers, bogs, etc and one particular ride through what seemed to be grinding paste almost wore it away.
The outer bearings became a bit graunchy after 350 miles when go up steep hills and (after a bit of a fight) Bosch have replaced the motor - they don't just replace bearings. Apparently water can get into the motor via control cables, the motor itself is well sealed. Be careful washing them.

I am picking it up from York tomorrow, it went in on the 15th November!!!

Don't let this put you off Cube, the bike itself is very impressive (go for full suspension, at least 140) the Bosch motor is very strong (I'm a big lad at 6ft and 16 stone) and it's helped me get up some seriously steep mucky climbs. It's brilliant exercise, my heart rate gets to the 160's on most off road rides and I come back knackered.

The single best piece of advice I can give you is to buy from a reputable shop - an actual shop, not an online shop. One that is close enough for you to be able to get to easily should you have any issues. That is problematic because when I bought mine nobody had any and I bought from an online shop, so when I had to have a replacement motor I've had to pay for it to be fitted as my warranty is with an online entity and the local shop needs to be paid. Bosch provide the new motor, it still has to be fitted.

Hope this helps.

Hi and welcome to T6F. All good to know - just need to make a decision and then source where I can. A shop would be better for sure.

The cubes do seem really good value compared with others just now , although from looking recently it largely comes down to what's available.
They are fantastic fun !
I'd avoid anything with shocks on as they just soak up energy. Totally pointless unless you're doing hardcore mountain biking. Also, if you get anything with knobbly tyres get them changed to slicks for the same reason as before.

Depends very much on your riding. I only ride off road and need suspension front and rear. If I do find myself on tarmac for any distance I lock out the suspension but, even without doing that, the motor will get you to 15mph without any increase in energy from me.

Back