Which eBike?

We ‘need‘ E bikes because the pedal bike market is saturated, there’s a lot of people with a pedal bike sat in the garage doing nothing. We’re about a decade behind the USA on the obesity front, if you’ve been to the USA recently it’s an scary eye opener. That is going to create a huge market for E bikes and the manufacturers will coin it in along with Tate & Lyle and Coca Cola.

We ‘need‘ E bikes because the pedal bike market is saturated, there’s a lot of people with a pedal bike sat in the garage doing nothing. We’re about a decade behind the USA on the obesity front, if you’ve been to the USA recently it’s an scary eye opener. That is going to create a huge market for E bikes and the manufacturers will coin it in along with Tate & Lyle and Coca Cola.

You're right but I need an e-bike because I want to ride hard off road routes but a lifetime of playing competitive sports has left me with the knees of an 80 year old man (I'm 53).
I can do it with the help of a motor and spend 3 hours on a weekend riding the hills and forests of Yorkshire with an average heart rate of 145bpm or I could sit on my backside in the garage and look at a pedal bike.

I 'need' an e-bike because next time I've hammered down from the top of Bel Tor and Aish Tor on my hardtail trying to keep up with my mates on their full-sus bikes, thinking I'm going to die as we're flying over rocks I never thought it possible to clear, I want to be able to breathe AND drink a pint at the Tavistock Inn, half way up Newbridge Hill as we go up to do it again! Newbridge Hill is a long, steep climb - admittedly on tarmac, and which the young, fit road racers probably wouldn't blink at - which had my lungs out on my handlebars, and it took me until the bottom of my second pint before I could talk! I'm 60 this year, and am eagerly awaiting delivery of my Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 - the one shown in @czmate1999 's post above. More beer!! (When the pubs reopen!!) :slow rofl:

I 'need' an e-bike because next time I've hammered down from the top of Bel Tor and Aish Tor on my hardtail trying to keep up with my mates on their full-sus bikes, thinking I'm going to die as we're flying over rocks I never thought it possible to clear, I want to be able to breathe AND drink a pint at the Tavistock Inn, half way up Newbridge Hill as we go up to do it again! Newbridge Hill is a long, steep climb - admittedly on tarmac, and which the young, fit road racers probably wouldn't blink at - which had my lungs out on my handlebars, and it took me until the bottom of my second pint before I could talk! I'm 60 this year, and am eagerly awaiting delivery of my Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 - the one shown in @czmate1999 's post above. More beer!! (When the pubs reopen!!) :slow rofl:
Gotta agree, pedalling and beer is impossible so a motor will make the difference.

An ebikes also useful for exploring those trails that may be a dead end and you wouldn’t have the energy to do so otherwise (also handy for giving mates a ‘helping hand’ on long draggy climbs)

:) No, it's my current Amarok. I've only just ordered my T6.1 earlier this week.

I have the Purion controller too. I did hear tell of some issues with other controllers with people swapping to a Purion - nice and simple.
I have my phone as gps held in the Ram mount. No problems at all.

You should just about have it by the end of the year then - if you're lucky!! o_O

I hope it's not that long, I've been told April or May but I'm expecting it to be at least summer. Not too fussed to be honest, as long as it gets here.

Do Boardman do an e bike yet, you get Boardman thro Halfords. I bought a Halfords Boardman road bike back in 2009, still have it , has had a few new parts , but its a tremendous bike, has done thousands of miles including Lands End to John O Groats. Jeff

I think it's designed for e-bikes used on the road only. I used OS mapping on my iphone on the bike to show bridleways etc.
I think it's a lot more versatile @Magnus - you can import routes from Komoot (and possibly other apps too) onto the Nyon which include all sorts of off-road bike routes and trails. You can also do this on the Kiox but this has to be linked by bluetooth to your phone and only gives turn by turn guidance rather than full maps, whereas the Nyon has inbuilt GPS and map displays.

I've got an app on my phone which gives bridleways etc (Visorando) which is free but seems to be aimed more towards walking routes. It offers search options for lots of activities (mountain bike/skiing/horse/snowshoes/canoe & kayak/hybrid bike and road bike) but choose anything other than walk and it doesn't offer anything. How much does the OS service cost - and does it offer route planning like Komoot?

Maybe a silly question but. If you are not using the electric assist, is it harder to peddle?
In other words, does the electric motor cause a resistance on the pedals when not in use?

Yes , although I think the more recent motors less so.
Weight adds to the increased effort too.

Maybe a silly question but. If you are not using the electric assist, is it harder to peddle?
In other words, does the electric motor cause a resistance on the pedals when not in use?
Apparently this used to be the case, but the newest motors don't drag. You could cycle ok on the flat without motorised assistance, but due to the extra weight of the bike, you wouldn't want to take on an incline.

Back