Which eBike?

At the moment, I'm cycling about 250 miles per week on the road, so am out and about seeing what other people are riding. This year has seen so many more people taking up cycling, but I can't help wondering what made them chose the bikes they did. There are lots of Carrera and Boardman MTBs riding around on the road. They obviously just went into Halfords and asked for "one of those please."

This is why I initially asked where the bike would be ridden. Ebike or not, it's unnecessary hard work lugging around a big, heavy MTB, when a road, gravel or hybrid bike is what would suit the needs better. Or is it they like the look of the thing?
Many smaller bike shops couldn’t get stock as the demand was so high. Bigger stores no doubt had first pickings and cashed in.

Bought an E bike last October due to having problems with my knees ( hadn't ridden a bike in about 15 years ) best thing I've bought in a long time. I went for a Cube Reaction Hybrid 625 after trying a few different bikes in our local bike shop, don't know where you're from but Evolution Bikes in Bangor N. Wales have a selection of bikes you can try before you buy, highly recommend them
I bought the 2020 model the link is for the 2021 version

Going back to the bee in my particular bonnet, those Suntour forks probably help explain how it gets to the 24.5 Kg detailed in the spec. There might even be some mopeds out there that weigh less than that:).

Hi All,

I am currently looking at eBikes and am coming to it with a limited knowledge and would welcome some advice as i know there are some keen cyclists on here.

Brands that I have looked at are Cube and Haibike. The drive system I am looking at is Bosch Performance CX GEN4, 85Nm, 25km/h with 625wh battery.

The type of use will be road, park, woodland, occasional cross country, occasional foothills/mountain trails - nothing too extreme.

I understand there is the potential for the Govt to introduce a 1/3 subsidy in the Spring and have been waiting to hear more on that. Additionally, there is the cycle2work scheme which allows upto a 42% saving - the only downside is having to purchase through Halfords or Tredz.com. The search option on the cycle2work website does not bring up other independent options at the moment. Does anyone have any experience of the cycle2work scheme?

many thanks in advance.

CZ.

Do you think you want a hybrid or a mountain bike ?

Pete

Not that it's overly relevant but Tredz is owned by Halfords, although it's not quite is the same bracket, but anyway, they certainly aren't the only places you can get bikes through C2W. There are a huge number of places that do C2W, so many in fact that you can pretty much get most bikes through the scheme.

Need to think about what kind of bike you want, as Pete says, Hybrid or mountain, but also bear in mind that availability is exceptionally low at the moment, with some manufacturers having apparently already sold out of 2021 bikes already, some quoting 12 month lead times, and some refusing to sell into the UK cos of the joys of Brexit. So your choice will be limited by availability, and if you want one "now", you'll probably have to compromise, and choose from what you can get your hands on. My bet is that the second hand market will surely be flooded shortly with barely used pandemic buys....

Why do you have to purchase through Halfords or Tredz on the C2W scheme?
Sorry, should have been more specific - my cycle2work scheme is run via halfords (unfortunately) so I have to go through them... even if it’s indirectly to an independent... they appear to be administrating the scheme for the company... :(

Not that it's overly relevant but Tredz is owned by Halfords, although it's not quite is the same bracket, but anyway, they certainly aren't the only places you can get bikes through C2W. There are a huge number of places that do C2W, so many in fact that you can pretty much get most bikes through the scheme.

Need to think about what kind of bike you want, as Pete says, Hybrid or mountain, but also bear in mind that availability is exceptionally low at the moment, with some manufacturers having apparently already sold out of 2021 bikes already, some quoting 12 month lead times, and some refusing to sell into the UK cos of the joys of Brexit. So your choice will be limited by availability, and if you want one "now", you'll probably have to compromise, and choose from what you can get your hands on. My bet is that the second hand market will surely be flooded shortly with barely used pandemic buys....
All valid points, I’d be happy to just narrow it down to what I want and then go from there. I would like an all-rounder... I like the look of this, Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPC Race 625 2021 Electric Full Sus MTB Grey, but is probably OTT for what I want...

1612478998491.jpeg

also like the look of this, Haibike | Trekking 9 2021 | Powerful Trekking eBike

If you haven’t ridden one I would suggest you do try it first - I have a haibike hard 7, it’s great and I love it but they are seriously heavy in comparison to my normal mtb - can still chuck them about but over a few gates you will start to notice it

If you haven’t ridden one I would suggest you do try it first - I have a haibike hard 7, it’s great and I love it but they are seriously heavy in comparison to my normal mtb - can still chuck them about but over a few gates you will start to notice it
I have had a quick go on @moomin-j Cube, it was really nice and I have done a quick 12k off some mountain tracks on a haibike sduro hardnine. out of the too I preferred the haibike but, in fairness, it’s an unfair comparison as two very different bikes...

The type of use will be road, park, woodland, occasional cross country, occasional foothills/mountain trails - nothing too extreme.

many thanks in advance.

CZ.

Exactly what I use mine for.
Go for it @czmate1999 - you wont regret it, it just puts a smile on my face every time I ride and means no hills are a problem.

The cubes do seem really good value compared with others just now , although from looking recently it largely comes down to what's available.
They are fantastic fun !

Back