Which Came First, The Carpet Or The Windows?

Goldy - how many meters did you go for in the end and was it too much/ just about right?
I need to order as my seat has been delayed 4 weeks, so going to get the carpeting done:)
Hi Ollie
I carpeted the pop top metalwork along with the sides so ordered 10 metres of the wider width, I've got about 3 metres left on the roll plus the trimmed bits from door to do the panels etc.

Me again.

I fitted my windows on the weekend. And in the next week or so intended to carpet line.

How do I carpet line around the windows? And on the sliding door? I can't see a trim anywhere to edge the window. Or sliding door. Or back doors for that matter.

What does everyone do?

Thank you

@slidepods did a really good write up on here, search his threads and have a look at the coombe valley camper video on you tube and you should get the answers you need

Looking at a few Kombis with the intention of converting to campers. Only problem is many of the ones that crop up have been carpeted. Has anyone got experience of either cutting through carpet to fit a window and can you still get a decent finish. Alternatively can you remove a carpet completely and re-apply after fitting windows?

Short of having a workshop to do it all in one go, I think that this scenario is actually preferable.

- Carpet the side of the van
- Cut out the majority of the carpet in the panel to be windowed (leaving at least 10mm overlap).
- Peel back the carpet away from the window
- Cut the hole
- Wrap carpet around newly formed aperture
- Fit the windows.

If you carpet after the windows are in, you'll have to spend ages tucking it all into the window reveals and you risk it looking a bit shite.

Edit: Oops, didn't realise this was an old thread!

Hi all,

I've just got a vanilla T6.1 that I intend to pimp out over time. First mod: side windows.

Question - Is it reasonable to have side windows fitted before doing a carpet lining?

Cost dictates that the lining of the van won't be for a while yet. I'm opting for windows first for safety, so I can see over my left shoulder. I've had a T5 before and found this to be an absolute must.
South Manchester / Macclesfield area if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks

Side windows before carpet lining.

Speak to Jason at Jaibow.

However it can be done the other way round but makes it more difficult for the window fitter.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've just got a vanilla T6.1 that I intend to pimp out over time. First mod: side windows.

Question - Is it reasonable to have side windows fitted before doing a carpet lining?

Cost dictates that the lining of the van won't be for a while yet. I'm opting for windows first for safety, so I can see over my left shoulder. I've had a T5 before and found this to be an absolute must.
South Manchester / Macclesfield area if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks
Depending on order we do the window cutting first and then the carpeting, fit the window and then push carpet into the gap while glue is wet, careful not to get glue on carpet. The doors will need a trim, unless you use a surround etc. You can of course use trim on all windows if you wish. Don’t carpet doors over seals, not good and wont seal properly. You can carpet once the windows are fitted but it is trickier and not as good a robust finish. If the customer is having the carpet done by us later, we typically fit doors windows as stage 1 and then the other windows with carpet as stage 2

All the best,
Ian

Back