Which Came First, The Carpet Or The Windows?

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
My van is now the proud owner of a pop-top.
Is it Windows or carpeting next? I think windows, but then how to you make sure you get a nice carpet seal up to the window trim? It's probably simple for those of you that've completed this task on many occasions, but without the experience I can't picture it??
Screenshot 2019-11-26 at 17.27.23.png

The best way is:

Windows and carpeting on the same day.
Holes cut for windows, carpet and fold carpet over to outside of van for about 0.5 to 1cm.
Stick on glass.

However I carpeted first, left it unfinished so the window fitter could finish it properly when the hole was cut.

Depends what windows you are having. Side door and rear doors are very difficult to carpet right up to the window, due to the door seals and it’s easiest to leave some bare metal, so order is not important. Side window behind the driver is the difficult one, as you will want to carpet right around that.

Pete

So;
Sliding door = adding window seals and therefore not carpeting around that window anyway. (I'm only going to carpet the panel of the sliding door).

Barn and other doors - cut out holes for windows, leave enough material, (2-3cm) and fold over exposed lip. Don't add window trim and stick window over the top of carpet?

Ok if it’s done correctly it is easy to carpet up to the side window.

Cut hole for window.
Carpet, fold carpet onto outside of van (not too much).
Stick window onto van.
E7788A10-83D8-46E9-A890-778FAE182B8D.jpeg

This is a ply frame, carpeted then carpet folded onto outside of van and then window stuck in place.

9A61B828-A6E6-4CD0-B0E8-D960193737C3.jpeg

I’m led to believe that the best and neatest way to carpet is to first cut the holes for all the windows. Carpet up and over the lip, then add the windows for an ultra neat finish. The challenge is of course the great British weather.

I have a window supplier, just need your thoughts on 4 way stretch carpet options? Who’s the best and why? I’m erring towards the side of quality over price right now.

I believe someone on the forum recommended these guys
Trunkliner 4 way Stretch Carpet : AS Trim, Vehicle Textile Suppliers - Buy Upholstery, & Adhesives Online UK Ipswich

Can I ask which window supplier you’re using ?
I’m looking to fit and carpet too
thanks
Bob

I’m led to believe that the best and neatest way to carpet is to first cut the holes for all the windows. Carpet up and over the lip, then add the windows for an ultra neat finish. The challenge is of course the great British weather.

I have a window supplier, just need your thoughts on 4 way stretch carpet options? Who’s the best and why? I’m erring towards the side of quality over price right now.

I believe someone on the forum recommended these guys
Trunkliner 4 way Stretch Carpet : AS Trim, Vehicle Textile Suppliers - Buy Upholstery, & Adhesives Online UK Ipswich
I've just got some of this delivered today, it's brilliant stuff well worth it.

Not yet Ollie
Might pluck up the courage to attempt it next week weather dependant.
Goldy- did you manage to get the carpet fitted? I’m close to ordering so interested to see how you faired?

Goldy- did you manage to get the carpet fitted? I’m close to ordering so interested to see how you faired?
Hi Ollie
Made a start I've done one side and hopefully doing the other side today. I found it very good to work with and feels quite good to touch, the wheel arch was easier than I thought.
The photo is not brilliant and taken prior to trimming.
You'll need plenty of Stanley blades it soon blunts them.
You can order a sample from them before ordering

20200122_153032.jpg

Hi Ollie
Made a start I've done one side and hopefully doing the other side today. I found it very good to work with and feels quite good to touch, the wheel arch was easier than I thought.
The photo is not brilliant and taken prior to trimming.
You'll need plenty of Stanley blades it soon blunts them.
You can order a sample from them before ordering

View attachment 59991
Which colour is that, Silver Fleck?
Any reason you didn't go for Grey fleck?

Hi
Went for the silver fleck, purely to try and lighten the interior up, think they look a bit dingy in darker colours.
Goldy - how many meters did you go for in the end and was it too much/ just about right?
I need to order as my seat has been delayed 4 weeks, so going to get the carpeting done:)

Back