When will prices come back down?

My bus just went in for a cambelt/water pump replacement a few weeks back. On going into my local garage to pick it up, the desk chap gave me a name/number on a piece of paper and said it belonged to a guy who was interested in offering me £7k more than what I paid for it because it was the right colour, the right ‘blank canvas’ (we’re not converting it) and his wife liked it too. Crazy.

Hi there! I’m brand new here and have been reading lots of your posts today. We are coming up to the end of my husbands company car lease and are thinking we might take the car allowance this time. Our number one choice for our next vehicle would be a transporter. However, we are learning that prices seem to have sky rocketed! From what we can work out, the price of a 2/3 year old van is not far off a new one - and the same price as some of the new estate cars we’ve looked at. Is this a Covid thing?? Has supply of new ones decreased or something? We don’t need one until the winter and actually we could probably just use my little car over the winter months. So we could even wait until next spring. I’m guessing nobody has a crystal ball to see into the future, but what are everyones thoughts on the current high prices? Should we wait?

WeI’d love any opinions on this!

I’ve recently sold my Kombi. I’d intended to keep forever but resale values are so high it makes a new van very cost effective. I’d say if there’s no rush go talk to a few dealerships about a new factory order.

If COVID “goes away” or gets under control, and overseas travel is allowed, then prices will fall.
What you are seeing is a consequence of a rush to convert vans to campers, combined with a shortage of new vehicles due to various component shortages.

I don’t think anyone knows when things will return fully to normal.

Pete

These are strange times- we bought a brand new van (pre registered) from a vw van centre for a better price than some of the second hand year old vans we looked at!

Reactions: Ozi
You are in the absolute same boat as me, I’ve managed to now negotiate a car allowance and had planned on buying a second hand van like you suggested but with prices being crazy high have bit the bullet and ordered a brand new T6.1 Kombi and will be straight into Exploria for electrics, lining, pop top etc. My thoughts being as long as it’s a Kombi it’s a fully useable for company business, my company car lease runs out in May next years and have ordered the van for March, fingers crossed the current build delays have passed by then.

If you do opt for a factory ordered van be prepared for a massive wait. I'm currently at 7 months since ordering with no sign of my van, and there are many others who are waiting even longer.

Thanks all. It makes sense that Covid / lockdown has pushed the prices up. I’ll keep an eye out and see if anything comes up at the right price but as we are in no rush I don’t want to over pay (more than we are already overpaying for a van!). We will also go and speak to the dealers.

that’s crazy that people are waiting so long for new ones!

If you can wait a year, could will probably save 3-4k on a nearly new if not more. You won't get much of a deal on a new one, and a very long wait, but you will get exactly what you require.

Interesting to see what all your vans would be worth now, it doesn't look like the market has slowed down any.
Unfortunately for me I'm trying to buy my first t6 at the moment.
I'm torn weather to wait a year or not now, seems the cost of living and interest rate hikes might temper the market somewhat... but who knows, I might be kicking myself next year wishing I got in cheap

Then I've been looking in the wrong places!
Thanks for the tip.
Supposed to be going to look at a 2019 highline 150 soon but it's over £28k after vat

I'm one of those odd people that want a reimo high roof so there isn't much on the market that suits me pre converted.
Tha js for the link though, I'll have a brows and keep my ears pinned.

It's affecting all vans. I've got a transit going back in July. I can buy it for 9k plus VAT. Put it into WBAV and was offered 17k plus VAT. Needless to say will buy it and move it on. At that price it will have cost me only 9k for 4 years from new. Madness.
Brothers got a 2 year old Leighton and could sell it for same as he bought it for.
Just gave up on my Kombi order with VW, 8 months and not a word, so ordering a stock van from a converter, will be with me July once they have weaved their magic .

I missed out on van on here a few months back being sold for £34'250 it's now on a dealers website for £42'995 go figure!

Hi all. New member here, beginner when it comes to T6s.

Family of six currently running an old Touran. Been looking at a used Caravelle as main (and only) family car for months now. Been hanging on to see if prices would come down - I understand used prices on Caravelles especially are well up. Some people I heard saying they would drop once international travel opened up again. But everything is still so expensive, at least it seems to me. Looking to spend up to say £15,000. A friend tells me that just a few years ago that would have bought a decent example. Less so now.

Anyway, wondering whether we just go for it on the basis that we need a new vehicle anyway, and perhaps we should just get on with it and have use of one this summer.

But we could hold on another year.

So - what do we think? Prices not going anywhere?

Back