Insurance Pay Out Valuation

Interesting read…. As I type, I’m waiting for the insurance company to decide what they are going to do with my motor and the advice given on this tread has given me some excellent pointers to dealing with them if they decide to right mine off.

If you buy back and repair, the vehicle will still be on the write-off register and, as a consequence, will lose around 25% of its market value. That's not necessarily a problem - just something you need to be aware of.
Oh of course. You've got to want to keep the car and be happy with it. My brother was lucky it was only panel damage which he was able to source and fit and no structal damage as it was a low impact crash after a truck drove into him. He likes the car and intends to keep hold of it, so it wasn't really an issue to him.

Reactions: Bav
Oh of course. You've got to want to keep the car and be happy with it. My brother was lucky it was only panel damage which he was able to source and fit and no structal damage as it was a low impact crash after a truck drove into him. He likes the car and intends to keep hold of it, so it wasn't really an issue to him.
Sorry - not trying to teach anyone how to suck eggs!

A key point that no one is recognising is that( according to your post) you were not at fault.

As it was not your fault, you have the right to demand to be no worse off than before the accident. So if it costs £X to replace the van with the same spec, they have to agree to it. Do not settle for less.

This is not strictly the case if it was your fault, or a portion is being blamed on you.

A key point that no one is recognising is that( according to your post) you were not at fault.

As it was not your fault, you have the right to demand to be no worse off than before the accident. So if it costs £X to replace the van with the same spec, they have to agree to it. Do not settle for less.

This is not strictly the case if it was your fault, or a portion is being blamed on you.
As the OP suggested, the fact that he and the third party have the same insurer won't be helping the situation - the insurer will be trying to minimise their losses from both ends.

I'm sure that the basis of a policy is that you can turn down a financial settlement and ask for a like4like replacement ?

I'm sure that the basis of a policy is that you can turn down a financial settlement and ask for a like4like replacement ?
Just read back through emails I had with Brentacre.... Who I know a lot of T6 forum members are with. Pasted info below:

The vehicle value is based on modified market value in the event of a claim, however the insurer will not pay out more than what the vehicle is insured for which is why this is important to keep us up to date with the value when and as you’ve added modifications.

We don’t currently offer agreed valuations on vans.

As such I have notified all modifications and made sure the value has been updated accordingly. Keeps cropping up but agreed valuations with Brentacre don't appear possible... Would depend though on the strength of modified van market!

I had a dash cam running and the vehicle travelling behind the one that hit me had a dashcam too. The Police confiscated my dashcam at the scene and that alone was enough for them to confirm the other party was to blame. Several weeks later the 3rd Party insurance admitted fault too.

This whole experience of dealing with the Total Loss company has had me feeling like I'm a criminal. Even when I went to get stuff out of the van yesterday I had to get prior permission from the insurance company sent to the recovery yard before they would even let me in. I keep pointing out to them that I still own it but it really doesn't feel like it.

The Police confiscated my dashcam at the scene
They can do that?
I‘ve often wondered about that - can the police demand to see/copy the footage, but to “confiscate” the whole dash cam seems a bit extreme. I would certainly want to download any footage first.

They can do that?
I‘ve often wondered about that - can the police demand to see/copy the footage, but to “confiscate” the whole dash cam seems a bit extreme. I would certainly want to download any footage first.
Seems a bit odd... unless the RTA involved personal injury ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had a dash cam running and the vehicle travelling behind the one that hit me had a dashcam too. The Police confiscated my dashcam at the scene and that alone was enough for them to confirm the other party was to blame. Several weeks later the 3rd Party insurance admitted fault too.

This whole experience of dealing with the Total Loss company has had me feeling like I'm a criminal. Even when I went to get stuff out of the van yesterday I had to get prior permission from the insurance company sent to the recovery yard before they would even let me in. I keep pointing out to them that I still own it but it really doesn't feel like it.
Vehicle recovery compounds are very security conscious and rightly so. Don't take it personally that you had to jump through hoops to get in and get your stuff.

They can do that?
Yes they can. The device is part of the evidence. Once they seize it you can't do anything such as download as you suggest.

They can do that?
I was drink and drug tested and they also took my mobile phones (personal and company) to make sure I'd not been using them too. I'm not going into the details but there was a very good reason for this and it was specifically to protect me from any possible future repercussions.

The emergency services did an amazing job.

VAT is not recognised or included in an Insurance payout total loss

My 6.1 highline Kombi camper spec ( heater/swivels/etc) 2021 had 4K miles when total loss , and best I could get was £38k

Back