When will prices come back down?

russ_e

IT Developer
T6 Guru
Was just reading some of the posts on the T6 Facebook page and noticed a couple of campers for sale. To say I was shocked at the prices would be an understatement.

Thinking that the conversion companies are just cashing in I headed off to the VW Used website and had a quick look how much a secondhand Highline panel van is going for. I paid just over 17k plus VAT for my Highline about 2.5 years ago. The exact same van from VW is now 20k plus VAT, so about a 10% increase.

One of the vans listed was 56k and when purchased on finance came in at 75k - £600 a month for 10 years, I'm guessing more than most peoples mortgages. That is a big commitment, especially with the threat of diesel vans becoming obsolete.

I'm just about to get mine back from the converters and I'm seriously thinking of selling and buying a proper motorhome or maybe a nice 911.

Supply and demand, Covid has caused some to loose their livelihoods and others to save more money. Those who have saved will most likely pay more for what they want to avoid waiting the normal 6 months for a conversion slot.

its not so much Conversion Companies cashing in. there's a high demand right now for camper vans. it can be calculated what they are charging per job after materials purchased but with their property overheads, and heating , wages for 2 men for at least a weeks work then the secretary in the office wages doing the admin then their pension funds before any parts are purchased then the dreaded V A T on top of it all ... there's 20% added straight away. not many people can just claim it back... and who ever checks receipts and VAT number to see if they are really V A T registered .. then that would be cashing in . and now every person involved with providing a van has upped their prices blaming Brexit what a scam that is .. but don't get me started on that...

Van cost 40.000 materials 4.000 - 5 + labor about 2 - 3 weeks 2 men 5 - 6 .000 = 50.000 vat 10.000 it soon mounts up

VAT should be capped going up in stages to amount spent

no diesel or petrol there will be .... they are trying to go green by then come nearer the time it will change again battery cars doing 300 miles with a 3 hour charge is not going to work

less they all have 100 KW chargers charging in 1/2 hour how much copper cable will that be in every street every parking bay every block of flats leads running everywhere plugging cars in

Nick

100% agree Mud Digger - Just couldn't believe that the base cost of the van had gone up so much. 20k plus VAT for a 3 year old Highline with 30k

Couldn't agree more. Was looking for a van for a friend and was shocked at prices. I bought mine in 2019. Paid 17.5k for a 16 plate 140 highline with 30k mileage. I even thought it was a good deal at the time, now I feel it was the bargain of a century

As I've got to wait another 6-8 months for the delivery of my new T6.1, I'm hoping SH prices keep going up and up, as it will benefit me when I come to sell my current Kombi which will have an extra 10K on.

Thinking that the conversion companies are just cashing in I headed off to the VW Used website and had a quick look how much a secondhand Highline panel van is going for. I paid just over 17k plus VAT for my Highline about 2.5 years ago. The exact same van from VW is now 20k plus VAT, so about a 10% increase.

In two and a half years, the new list price would have had 3 or 4 increases, probably equating to around 10%. It's all relative really.

Welcome to economics! As @DXX said: it is simple “Supply and Demand” and what the market will bear.

Q: How much is my van worth?

A: As much as someone is prepared to give me for it!

mine a 2016 Trendline blue-motion £18 000 i brought 4 years ago with 3, 600 Vat on top That i couldn't claim back if prices keep going up i ll break even...getting a bit back but its priceless to me now..... couldn't put a value on it to sell The Mud-Digger lol

So its worth a small investment of profits in better Security guys...

Seriously thinking about selling mine to fund a new MAN/Crafter. I reckon I might be able to get more for it than I paid this time last year.

Yeah the prices are mad I know a guy who bought a very nice VW T4 with 35,000miles on it for 6000pounds then he got it converted to a camper and a great job he said. Then sold it for nearly 16,500 grand.i wasn't to shocked . And he got it sold in about a week.
I was in my local VW garage on Monday and got speaking to a guy there very helpful .he said they can't get them in quick enough.
And a nice coloued kombi too. My personal choice .

IMG_20210315_072810_1.jpg

IMG_20210315_072727_9.jpg

IMG_20210315_073333_8.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Interesting thread. Supply, demand and more people staycationing for the foreseeable.

I bought a 12 month old, 1 owner, 8K miles, 204 DSG LWB PV in Feb 18. Used ever since as a works van, but kept immaculate. I got collared by a local converter a couple of weeks ago who offered me a £3750 profit on what I paid for it. He said they can't get tidy nice spec T6s for conversions, and he's paying more than he ever has. I very briefly looked at how much to change for a 6.1 P.V. Far too much!

As an aside he lowballed the original owner of mine back in 2018.... As another aside I was going to buy a then new Vivaro Bi-Turbo 140, but then heard about the 204 VW. Paid more for a 1 year old T6 than a new Vivaro PV. Bet that Vivaro would be worth well less than 50% of new by now.......

All van prices are up, have you seen how many couriers are about. A local converter where a friend works before all this would put a £10k mark up !! they still expect this mark up and pass the charges to the punters. Was looking at their prices and campers, but with inflated prices they are still selling !!!

I had a phone call from VW yesterday offering to buy my T6 back and put me into a new T6.1.

I had a phone call from VW yesterday offering to buy my T6 back and put me into a new T6.1.

My Velle is on PCP. I'd only had it 6 weeks before getting a call from the dealers offering me a 6 month newer identical van for £50 a month less and nothing else to put in. I would have been a fool not to have taken that deal. They were taking advantage of a very low rate finance offer, so by taking mine back in, they were able to do two deals and get two lots of commission.

When it was in for some work after about a year, I got talking to the sales lads. They had a high spec 6.1 Exec that they would have done the same deal on. Nothing down and the same monthlies, albeit extending the deal by another year. Given the 6.1 was 14 months newer than mine, that seemed like a too good to miss deal too. However, I'm not completely sold on the 6.1 yet. Especially the lack of comfort dash.

My Velle is on PCP. I'd only had it 6 weeks before getting a call from the dealers offering me a 6 month newer identical van for £50 a month less and nothing else to put in. I would have been a fool not to have taken that deal. They were taking advantage of a very low rate finance offer, so by taking mine back in, they were able to do two deals and get two lots of commission.

When it was in for some work after about a year, I got talking to the sales lads. They had a high spec 6.1 Exec that they would have done the same deal on. Nothing down and the same monthlies, albeit extending the deal by another year. Given the 6.1 was 14 months newer than mine, that seemed like a too good to miss deal too. However, I'm not completely sold on the 6.1 yet. Especially the lack of comfort dash.

Mine's T28 102 Highline, the one I've been offered is a 150 DSG Highline with higher spec than my current one.
Not too worried about the comfort dash.

Hi all,
New member here.
I can attest to this.
I am about to become an owner of my first T6, and selling my 2002 T4 California to do so.
I purchased it 7 years ago for 25k (euro), and when i look to see what the current value is in the German market, with a little clean up I should be able to get pretty close to this value again (20k+). I see many older examples in the high 20K region and some even in the low 30's - mental!

The cowboy converters are kicking the arse out of used builder van conversions and selling high to the "muggles" Everybody is losing their minds ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back