Have price increases delayed a purchase decision for you?

dilbu

Hi all - I recently posted about the used van market price increases and just wanted to put another post out there to gauge some public opinion. In short I was ready to purchase a base vehicle for my first conversion last year when covid hit and decided to let the dust settle; of course that was ironically the best time to buy. Back then I had a budget of £20k which could have got me a 3 year old vehicle with decent mileage. Now the equivalent is around £30k, with much less to choose from. I'm still really keen to pull the trigger but as the summer ends prices get worse and worse, and predicting the end trend seems impossible. I was wondering if any of you are in a similar position; have you taken a gamble and purchased, knowing you will probably lose a fair bit of capital quickly, or gambled by not purchasing and hoping things settle soon? Be great to hear some experiences and views - thanks!

I had the same thoughts and in the end and spent a bit more than I might have without covid messing things up. Could be waiting years for this whole mess to settle or the market might be flooded with vans this winter. Will I kick myself if prices plummet next year? Perhaps. But I've not spent more than I can afford and I generally try to not waste too much time on regret. We're just going to get on with enjoying our van.

I was ready to upgrade from a 6 to a 6.1 this year and was looking at shuttles in the low 30k region which now are all 40k so I’m gonna sit it out and see how it goes
Obviously already having a van I’m in no rush to upgrade so thinking about upgrading the family car instead (to electric) and will see what next year brings in the van world, if it doesn’t calm down I think I may just order a new multi van in 2022 if they are available ??

These prices can't go on for ever, it's the same everywhere, cars, bikes, vans

Once everyone has spent their govt COVID grants (every small business owner round here seems to be trundling around in a brand new T6.1 HL) prices should come back to more sensible levels.

lt might take longer on campers/conversions because the demand for U.K. holidays has soared.

Static vans on holiday parks have in some areas almost doubled in value. My friends bought a van in Anglesey last year for £40,000 and now it's worth £70,000

I'm getting a bit naffed of withe the prices, found a van at a VW Dealership just the spec I was looking for, I went on the VW configurator put all the vans details and options in only to find the dealer was asking more than 2k over retail, I know its a sellers market but that's taking the pi$$..rant over..

Yes, but in a different way. We have a T6 camper which we love, but we want to convert a Crafter alongside running the T6, then see which we prefer (we might even keep both). But prices of every van are silly currently, so we aren’t even looking for a suitable bigger van.
If things settle down, then we might get a Crafter later in the year, and convert it over the winter.

Pete

I've been looking for ages, I've seen a van now and i know its too expensive with too many miles,
i dont want a van that i loose tons of money on in the blink of an eye,
when i buy one its for the long haul, then i try to convince my self that said van has all the right bits i need and want, its done 80000 mile and i just think is it going to be reliable and hold its money ? as with 100000 will it be worth less,

Its crazy how things are going up... and lead times on somethings have not only gone from a few weeks to now in excess of 8 to 12 months... but as far as vans go... I have to admit I was so lucky to drop on my van... although its not a t6... its a t5.1 on a 65 plate and was actually registered just days before 16 plates came out... but with only one owner and a genuine 18k on the clock and full VW history... I know I will never find another for the price I paid... talking to the guy who sold it me... he reckons the money I spent would now only get me into something like a 11/12 plate with over 100k on the clock...talk about right place right time... the thing is.... where will it all end... and to just put things in perspective... (for a laugh as well...) I am of an age where I remember chips going through the roof due to a potato shortage and chips went to 80p a portion... folk were saying once it all gets back to normal... they will drop to their "old" price of 50p...they didn't and the rest is history as they say.... ...BR, Boysan...

Dealer price increase due first week of August 1.7% on all new commercial vehicle orders but anything up to 12 months lead time on delivery.

@Pete C

Last edited:
Back