When will prices come back down?

The cowboy converters are kicking the arse out of used builder van conversions and selling high to the "muggles" Everybody is losing their minds ¯\_(ツ)_/¯️
I visited a few converters a few years back, one of which was without appointment. I saw one of the roughest ex-work vans I’ve ever seen getting the full conversion, amazing what a bit of ply, carpet and vinyl can cover up!

I have to bite my tongue when I see some of the Vans for sale on the T6 Facebook Buy and Sell Page. There are a couple of guys on there peddling high mileage Startlines week in - week out.

Last edited:
I'm a recent purchaser and I must admit I paid 'decent money' for mine but I'm not complaining.
I don't feel I paid over the odds. It's what I wanted with most of the things I wanted already done to it.

Granted its not a T6, it's a T5.1, but on a 15 plate, 38k miles, highline, 140bhp 6 speed and completely converted.

I keep seeing lower spec, older, higher mileage vans advertised for a good amount more than I paid as well.
I don't like it, I think many are profiteering, but if you comment you get called all the names under the sun and told you're just jealous!

I found this thread interesting, I agree some of the conversion company’s are rushing the builds to make as much money as quick as possible while they can, it’s a shame as the build quality seems to be dropping massively . People are going all stupid over vans. I expect it will crash at some point. As soon as holiday locations abroad open up & they realise they have a 50K Camper they don’t want anymore. Prices will go back to normal & potentially the market will be flooded with camper vans.

I expect it will crash at some point. As soon as holiday locations abroad open up & they realise they have a 50K Camper they don’t want anymore. Prices will go back to normal & potentially the market will be flooded with camper vans.

Exactly what I’m thinking hence seriously thinking about selling while prices are high.

I really don't understand the prices of camper vans and motorhomes when £20,000 buys you a far more comfortable caravan that you can tow with your current car, or if necessary, add a little more money to change it for a more suitable towing vehicle. Either way, you can leave your pitch on a whim and drive around in comfort.

Many will say that a smaller van gives you more flexibility, but I used to see no end pitched up for a week at a time, tethered to a village worth of tents and awnings. What's flexible about using it that way?

I really don't understand the prices of camper vans and motorhomes when £20,000 buys you a far more comfortable caravan that you can tow with your current car, or if necessary, add a little more money to change it for a more suitable towing vehicle. Either way, you can leave your pitch on a whim and drive around in comfort.

Many will say that a smaller van gives you more flexibility, but I used to see no end pitched up for a week at a time, tethered to a village worth of tents and awnings. What's flexible about using it that way?
I agree 100%, I don’t see much attraction in the average campsite unless it adjoins something special. As for the attachments, I say just go camping and be done with it.
It’s pretty obvious that the vast majority do like campsites as they are fully booked.
My preference is to have a rough plan and move on when I feel like it, often parking up late at night and leaving early morning. I’d rather spend 30 quid on something other than sleeping in somebodies field.
We really need the equivalent of aires in the UK.

As well as supply and demand as long as the new vans are increasingly expensive to buy (and they went up 7% recently) this will also increase the 2nd hand values. Rolex have made an entire business model using a similar principal.

Demand is massively outstripping supply presently. Our used stock is flying out the door at very strong money (about £5k up on prices 6 -8months ago!)

I've never seen it like this in my 30+ years in the trade.

If the wait time for new stays as it it there will be no down turn, plus the recent price increase will hold prices up as well as all the extra money floating about

bonkers times!

Well I am new to the van thing. I looked long and hard spending months trying to find the right van. The list of thing I wanted most were twin slider single seats up front and solid rear tailgate oh and a 150 Six speed.

what I got after the long search was nothing that I wanted.
3 up front single slider and glass rear tailgate.
what I did learn is several things. I don’t need a twin slider and I kinda like 3 up front.

I also learnt that I cannot have what I want unless I buy new.
and I bought a lovely 16plate 102 mapped with 17k on the clock
i paid good money for it but I got it cheap. I feel I could sell it tomorrow and make 3k profit.
the seller on here that I got it from had people calling offering him more cash than we had agreed.
he was a top man and stuck to the deal. (thanks Mark)

I think there’s a bit of dare I say post Covid madness about, I just advertised a house for rent and got 60 applicants, just over a year ago I had 3 in the same period on the same house.

Supply and demand, more money around (if you have kept your job during Covid you've saved,, in the uk the agriget savings ratio is 150b more than pre covid) and less supply with shutdowns and businesses doing bust. This will be the same many aspects of life going forward for a while, such as meals out, washing machines, puppies, hot tubs, cars etc etc i.e. inflation!

Puppies now there is another thing.
10yrs ago I bought a black lab for £400
sadly she passed away last November (still gutted and miss her)
now 2k plus for the same bread. Madness.

@Devoncream. Tell me about it. After a long hiatus when circumstances didn't allow it, we decided to get another pooch (or 2) in the house but I simply refuse to pay the sort of money being asked nowadays (I suspect that £2K is conservative!). Not because I'm tight or can't afford it but because I firmly believe that anybody who does pay that sort of money for a puppy is just encouraging irresponsible breeders. Yes, there are still the good ones out there but there are increasing numbers of bad ones as well (aka chancers). It's also encouraging the rise in dog thefts. Maybe in a year or so time we will see a load of unwanted dogs along with all those unwanted campers that people seem to be panic buying! We're contacting the local rescue centre.

I've mentioned my journey to ownership in another thread, but it's been quite a stressful one. I started looking for a T6 in January last year, after a good friend picked up a T6 Ocean with 42k on the clock for £16.5k (private sale). His was immaculate, I mean, absolute quality - and so at the time, that was my benchmark. What a fool i was (but, bearing in mind i am very new to the watercooled VW scene, I learned a lot from you all on this very here forum, and started to manage my expectatoins better. For that, I think i will be eternally grateful).
I bought our current bus at the end of January this year (T6 Highline 150, 6-speed. 45k mileage) at a price just north of £20k (including VAT) after seeing/viewed/test driven some ABSOLUTE HOWLERS for more money and much higher mileage and lower spec. It was not an enjoyable experience, and trying the reserve and purchase our current bus was pretty tough because a few people were interested.... luckily, the dealer honoured their 'first come, first served' approach, despite other buyers offering more (substantially more) in cash. If you believe in luck, you could say that it was finally 'our time' to get what we so badly held out for.
Our bus needs a little TLC, but it's ours and the girls absolutely adore it (we have lunch in the back occasionally with the tailgate up whilst we can't really go far) and it is the perfect vehicle for loading the bikes up and escaping to Wales.

Now, don't get me started on the price of tailgates!!!!!

£16.5k for a T6 Ocean last year ? That was a steal! I would expect double that and add a few grand this year.

Last January I was almost on the cusp of purchasing a 16plate 150 t6 £18.5 k plus vat. It has 20k on the clock had most of what I wanted but thought I’d wait as the right van would come along as there are plenty out there.
boy i wish I bought that now lol no chance of getting anywhere that now. Great van but well unjustified prices.
I paid mid £20k for the one I have now, But tbf I love my van that I have and would not change it at all.

£16.5k for a T6 Ocean last year ? That was a steal! I would expect double that and add a few grand this year.
Yep - super lucky purchase by my mate, who had to transfer a large deposit and get a train to Plymouth to collect it QUICKLY! The previous owner was keen to go places with it, but there were some family issues i think......

Without taking the thread back off topic too far, my next door neighbour recently paid £2500 for a Cockapoo! Lovely as it is, it’s not even a true dog breed!!

Back