When will prices come back down?

I can’t see the used prices coming back down particularly soon, due to the massive delays in new vehicle orders. At around £15k you’re looking at a fairly early T5 Caravelle, or if you don’t mind higher mileage then perhaps a T5.1. Have a look at Eurobrand, a lot of their stock will be ex holiday shuttle vehicles with a very good maintenance record.

Maybe have a look at some shuttles too, there are some well equipped ones out there.

Personally I think (hope) that Caravelle prices will hold up due to it no longer being available to buy new. It's replacement is the Multivan, but that is more of a big car, as opposed to a van that's been poshed up.

As above, I can't see your £15k getting you anything other than a very well used one.

I wanted to buy a base van for conversion in 2019 and thought maybe prices of T6 would go down when the T6.1 came out or was announced. It didn’t and it’s been going up ever since. Luckily I went ahead and bought in autumn 2019. The 19 reg van of the same spec with more miles than mine has now (bought with less than 100 miles) is more than I paid in 2019!

Last edited:
Appreciate all replies so far.

There's a 2010 Caravelle, 110k, 2.0 BiTDI going private sale £13,900

For comparison Eurobrand have a 2015 Caravelle 2.0 Bluemotion for £15,995 but with 235k on clock.

Not a vast difference in it price wise. Lots of difference milage wse. But also five years age...

Advice appreciated from you knowledgeable lot!

Be very wary of the EU5 180 BiTDI, there’s a known fault with the EGR coolers on the CFCA engine which results in aluminium particles circulating through the engine. The end result is a knackered engine. I wouldn’t touch one without having a millers oil analysis done.

Research your engines! None are perfect but the BiTDI has its issues!

Have you looked at Shuttles? People were buying them to convert to campers due to the shortage of vans!

Get a panel van and convert to a Kombi
I'm guessing he'd been looking at Caravelles because he wants to 6, but not have the front bench.

A Shuttle is a good shout as they are pretty well equipped and have car speed limits.

Be very wary of the EU5 180 BiTDI, there’s a known fault with the EGR coolers on the CFCA engine which results in aluminium particles circulating through the engine. The end result is a knackered engine. I wouldn’t touch one without having a millers oil analysis done.
Mate, would you mind giving me a tiny bit more background, please? I've no idea about motors really. I will do the goggle research based on what you say but, for e.g., CFCA engine. Are they all CFCA engines? How do I find if it's a CFCA engine if not?

@Saints1982 AKAIK only the 180 BiTDI EU5 (no adblue) is the CFCA unit. If I was looking for one of that age I would go the for the 140. The engine code will be on the v5. Also some good info here.. 65 plate T6 BiTDI engine… good or bad?

Also

I can’t see the used prices coming back down particularly soon, due to the massive delays in new vehicle orders. At around £15k you’re looking at a fairly early T5 Caravelle, or if you don’t mind higher mileage then perhaps a T5.1. Have a look at Eurobrand, a lot of their stock will be ex holiday shuttle vehicles with a very good maintenance record.

Maybe have a look at some shuttles too, there are some well equipped ones out there.
Totally put off the BiTDI now... shame.
Those from Eurobrand. Should I not be worried about spending so much money on something with such high mileage? (I know with wanting to spend only £15k I'm not in a great position - might have to give up on Caravelle and look at something else!).

The 204ps biturbo (Euro 6) and older 180ps biturbo (Euro 5) reliability issues should not be confused with each other.

Prices coming down atm!
I’m not convinced they are for vans on main dealer forecourts. I’ve seen vans the same age/spec/mileage as my one and they are still the same price as I paid just over 12 months ago,

What IS coming down is the book value to trade in/sell a van. Again, basing my van as the measure it‘s book value is ridiculously low compared to the forecourt price.

Another rip off :rolleyes:

Back