Wheel bolts - different type if alloy or steel?

I’m taking off my steel wheels from my t6 and putting on some Volkswagen alloys do I need a different set of bolts?

I have switched between 20" non OEM alloys, OEM 16" steels and 17" Devonports and all use the original bolts :thumbsup:

My Highline comes with alloys and a spare steel, there’s no mention in the owners handbook about using different bolts with the spare.
I would think the collared bolts are good for all wheels and non collared bolts are good for steels.

genuine sportine 18's use the standard VW wheels bolt. It's not a nut either by the way :)

Hi guys.
I sold my original alloy wheels off my high line and give the lad the original bolts and locking nuts as I put a new set of wolf race alloys on my van and they came with new bolts as they are different. However does anyone know if the new wolf race bolts be ok on my spare Which is the original steel one
Cheers for your help

It’s a good question. I had to get a new wheel brace but didn’t think of whether the nuts would fit standard spare.

I wish I'd bought a new wheel brace also. The vw one fits the bolts fine but not the locking bolts. I scuffed 2 of the new alloys trying to tighten the locking bolts.

It depends what bolts came with the wheels.
There are a few different head types: tapered, radiused and flat which you shouldn't mix and also different length bolts which again you need to ensure is correct.

What type should be used on standard wheels? My alloys were fitted at the converters so I never saw the originals

No idea, mine came with aftermarket alloys too, so I don't have or know the correct bolts for my spare either now you mention it

Right, it’s a good question logie!

tbh, I’m thinking that mine has even got locking wheel nuts as if it has then I haven’t seen the adaptor. I think I will investigate next time it’s dry out

The vw recommended bolts have a loose collar.
See attachment.

Attachments

• Wheel_Bolts.pdf
    134.9 KB · Views: 93
“The only restriction is that 20 wheel bolts of the same type must be used for one vehicle.
A mixed installation is not permissible.”
:mad:

Thx for the info. It appears to say that all wheels must have the same bolts and they certainly aren’t what’s used on the aftermarket alloys therefore to use the original spare even ignoring the advise on using the same bolts I should really carry a full set of bolts. Hopefully the alloy bolts would be good to get to the tyre shop!

So I purchased some steel wheels, waited, booked in the powder coating when they arrived, waited, booked in the tyres waited, tyres got fitted today and .... they said I’ve got the wrong nuts!!

So I have standard VW alloy nuts which have a shallow angle on them, presumably to spread the load. I spoke to euro car parts and TPS and they wanted my reg which brings up same bolts. Anyone got steel wheels, can I borrow your reg? Or anyone know what bolts are?

Back