Wheel bolts - different type if alloy or steel?

Paulanddal

hi I brought a set of secondhand davenport alloys my van just has normal steel wheels.Will I need different wheels nut and will they just fit straight on thanks for any advice

I swapped mine over from steels to Devonports using same wheel bolts no problem :thumbsup:

as per the thread do i need to get diferent wheel nuts if i change from alloys to steel rims

cheers

as per the thread do i need to get diferent wheel nuts if i change from alloys to steel rims

cheers

I have my original VW bolts on my steels and they fit perfectly.

What you moving too? Banded 19's 18's 17's 16's?????

Hi Tourer
got 18 inch sportlines on but want to have a tyre that is a bit more cross like a latitude sport or grabber3. Going for standard steel 17s going to get them coated semi matt black . First I need to buy a set of steels if you know of any going anytwhere

Hi Tourer
got 18 inch sportlines on but want to have a tyre that is a bit more cross like a latitude sport or grabber3. Going for standard steel 17s going to get them coated semi matt black . First I need to buy a set of steels if you know of any going anytwhere

There's always lots of sets on eBay. I've seen the bare wheels for around £150 a set.

Excellent information, just what I was looking for. Considering some steels for my winter wheels options :thumbsup:

You need to look at the shape of the seating surface for the bolts on the wheels you have and the wheels you are getting.
I changed from alloys to steels last month and the alloys needed conical seat bolts while the steels had radius (rounded) seat bolts.
You also need to consider the thickness of the centre part of the wheel, alloy's generally have thicker castings so the bolts need to be longer to allow the bolt threads to get enough distance to go through the brake disc thickness and into the threaded part of the hub on the van.
Changing from alloys to steels, even if the shape of the seat is the same, if you use the bolts off the alloys, you may find that they are so long they come out of the back of the hub and catch something behind them (or fail to get all the way through the hub because the threads stop short of the back face and never tighten the wheel to the disc face)
extended_lug_seat.jpg

Cheers Grim. I’ve had this with previous cars when changing to steels for the winter. Might just be easier to find a set of alloys

Hi All - first post here. Just bought some bargain Devonport alloys on eBay to replace my 16inch steels. Question is - can the existing wheel bolts be used with the new wheels? There seems to be conflicting advice on this. I took one of the bolts out and it has a tapered collar (as pictured) and seems to fit the alloy perfectly. Just want to make sure it’s safe to do so.

Next job to get rid of those startline bumpers!!

Thanks
James

Hello everyone
I’ve recently bought some sportline alloys and wondered if my wheel bolts which are original and hold clayton’s on at the minute will fit the new wheels ?
Also what size hex caps are needed to cover the hex head ?
Thanks
Bob

Hi,

I've got a 67 T6 with 17" vw steel wheels.

I've acquired some 17" vw alloy wheels which I'm quite taken with over the steel.

My question is about the bolts needed. Can I use existing to just swap or do I need a different bolt?

Thanks in advance for the newbie advice!

Back