Wheel bolts - different type if alloy or steel?

As @Markgf .. has indicated no real difference...but as with any spare its a get out of jail free card until you can get the wheel sorted....but look on the bright side the chances of having to use the spare are slim ..so you can now chill

Tyre rating ..Tick
wheel rating...Tick
Spare .....Tick

Happy days

After last week's blowout.... im glad I had the right size spare.... 250 miles from home and a 3 day wait for a replacement tyre at all the local garages... luckily the 17" spare was the right size to match the 19s and got me home... Best advice is be prepared and have a back up... :thumbsup:

20200809_160722.jpg20200820_153551.jpg

Thanks everyone, I am starting to feel a bit better particularly about the load rating of the wheels. I worked out that 225 65 17 is within 0.5% of the size of the fitted 275 40 20 and many choices are available in the right load rating at reasonable cost. Does anyone think there is a closer 17" option than that and is it likely to be close enough not to cause a 4motion issue? Wait now until it is on the drive and see what the previous owner did about a spare! Oh and I've stopped fretting quite as much.

Interesting. Presumably though the carrier would also have to be modified to carry a 17 with a tyre on it that effectively makes it exactly the same size as a 20 so either way I'd have to mod the carrier if I want the right size 17 or a matching 20 under there? Is the carrier a difficult mod?

The 20" radius will fit... its the depth that's the problem... dont think youll get a 275 in there without a depth mod to the carrier.

The carrier has two depth settings... on the bottom setting it'll take a 225 just... id wait till you get the van and see what you've got to work with... don't let it put you off as there's always a solution :thumbsup:

The carrier has two depth settings... on the bottom setting it'll take a 225 just...

Thank you so much, that means also I should just get a 225 65 17 in there. The van is lowered 40mm and I do not plan on lowering further so hopefully with the carrier on the lower setting it won't be too close to the ground? Here's hoping there is a 17" wheel of some description in the carrier!! All will be revealed next Friday.

My carrier is on the bottom setting with a 215/65/17 on the spare... and the van is lowered 40mm.... there's not bags of room to get the spare on and off... but enough and a bit more ..

i don't see a problem removing a 225/65... my only concern in your case is the circumference difference of the two tyre sizes mentioned... 12mm i think in the case you've mentioned... mine is only 2mm rolling radius difference.. 12mm seems a little high, especially with a 4M.. but i'm no expert..

Best to see what you've got first to work with when you pick up the van.... Good luck and keep us posted...:thumbsup:

hi mate have a set of 20 inch zito 935 load rating of 860 kg stamped on rear 265/40/20 seems to be recommend tyre size :thumbsup: look in sales section 20 calibre alloys [ j88arv seller ]picture of back of mine showing load rating stamp

Last edited:
Hi.
I have a T6 with steel wheels from factory. About to fit 17" VW Davenport alloys.

Are the original wheel bolts ok?
Can't seem to find a clear answer online.

Vans are delivered from VW with 4x alloys and 1x steel spare, they don’t supply different bolts for the spare so I would assume the same bolts are used.

Hi
When upgrading from standard steel wheels T5 & T6 to T6 alloys or custom alloy wheels can you use the original length bolts?

Original bolts for VW steels and VW alloys as they use a rounded wobble collar

Any aftermarket wheels will require aftermarket bolts

hi

can anyone point me in the direction of where i can source original wheel bolts? or a set of locking nuts that would fit original 16" steels

thanks

Back