Spare wheel options

Cuiken

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hey, I just dropped my spare wheel to make sure the tyres remained inflated and was met with a serviceable tyre attached to a dry roasted peanut where the steel wheel used to be. Not just a cosmetic issue, there’s no way it would mount due to the distortion of the centre hole and even bolt holes.

Quite a few used single wheels on eBay right now but I don’t know what will fit in the cradle. Questions:

1. Does the spare need to be a steel or can I stick an alloy under there to avoid rust? I’m guessing an alloy should be fine but thought I’d check.

2. The van originally had 17” Davenport wheels and now runs 18” aftermarket alloys. The spare is a 17” steel. Can I stick any size of wheel under there (provided the tyre size gives correct overall radius)? There’s a ton of 16” wheels for sale but can I use them?

3. Any other spare tire/wheel pitfalls?

Thanks,

Cuiken.

Hey, I just dropped my spare wheel to make sure the tyres remained inflated and was met with a serviceable tyre attached to a dry roasted peanut where the steel wheel used to be. Not just a cosmetic issue, there’s no way it would mount due to the distortion of the centre hole and even bolt holes.

Quite a few used single wheels on eBay right now but I don’t know what will fit in the cradle. Questions:

1. Does the spare need to be a steel or can I stick an alloy under there to avoid rust? I’m guessing an alloy should be fine but thought I’d check.

2. The van originally had 17” Davenport wheels and now runs 18” aftermarket alloys. The spare is a 17” steel. Can I stick any size of wheel under there (provided the tyre size gives correct overall radius)? There’s a ton of 16” wheels for sale but can I use them?

3. Any other spare tire/wheel pitfalls?

Thanks,

Cuiken.
1. No reason why you can’t replace the steel with an alloy.
2. Correct radius is ideal for a spare and critical if it’s a 4 Motion. I’m not sure if an 18” fits in the carrier, the Sportline is 18“ as standard, maybe a Sportline owner can advise.
3. Needs to load rated wheel and tyre, correct offset, PCD and spigot size. Needs to be compatible with bolt type in use. As mentioned 4 Motion outer diameter is critical to match others. Must be 17” minimum if you have 340mm front discs.

I have a single 17” Devonport with a legal Goodyear Cargo Vector for sale, but you are the opposite end of the country.
I’ll be doing a couple of trips from Plymouth to Heathrow Airport this month but nowhere near Mid Lothian.

I have a spare 17 inch VW Cascaval Alloy wheel, with legal tyres. Ideal as a spare. Not needed as I run 16 inch steels. I'm up near Berwick if that's any good ?
@Cuiken

Last edited:
Great advice, thanks. Mine is the 204ps, T32 so I’m guessing it’ll have the larger brake disks? Probably a good reason why it has the 17” spare already.

Okay, I’m that case I could use a Davenport wheel.

Truth be told, I’m running 255/50/18 tyres so just under 3% oversized.

Not a 4motion though so I’m guess/hopping I could get away with using a stock 215/60/17 wheel for a short period (much like the space saver on my old car)?

Cheers,

Cuiken.

I have a spare 17 inch VW Cascaval Alloy wheel, with legal tyres. Ideal as a spare. Not needed as I run 16 inch steels. I'm up near Berwick if that's any good to you?
@paddy26
Just spotted this. I may be wrong but I’m not sure the cascavel wheel is rated for the T32?

Sure, I’m slightly dodgy with my 3% too large tyres already but I believe using the wrong load rating is an insurance fail.

Thanks though.

I might be wrong but I read that the cascavels are rated to 850kg but the T32 is 855/860kg front/back.

5kg is clearly not an issue in reality but technically I guess it’s a fail.

Very happy to be wrong on the cascavel’s rated load though.

Found the info here.

There’s a thought, if I wanted to totally match the rolling radios of my spare to my main wheels, I could use a 235/60/17 tyre on my spare wheel.

Does anyone know if that will fit the cradle? I’ve read a few posts and found the guidance to be a bit contradictory/inconsistent.

Cheers.

I know we’ve DM’d, but for the sake of answering your question publicly, I have a 235/60/17 spare steely and it does fit in the cradle on the larger setting

Thanks again. I’ve found a clean used Davenport and a decent 235/60/17 all season tyre on eBay (that happens to match the model/brand on the larger main wheels). I’ll report back!

Thanks again. I’ve found a clean used Davenport and a decent 235/60/17 all season tyre on eBay (that happens to match the model/brand on the larger main wheels). I’ll report back!
If you find that the Devonport fits in the carrier neatly, I will have two delivery miles wheels and two one year old spare wheels which I'd be willing to split and sell individually. If this is of interest to anyone please let me know?

Just to say that I got this tyre and wheel mounted in the cradle with no great drama. I did need to drop the cradle hinge to the lower setting (thanks @Village) but otherwise it was just the 'normal' challenge of moving/lifting the wheel into position and then using every ounce of my strength to close the cradle onto the bolt.

I apprecite that some of the hassle relates to my own choice to have a lowered van but, the spare wheel cradle is probably not my favourite feature of the transporter :)

just seen this thread , good to know a 235/60/17 fits in the cradle ...had the sa,e job lowering the hinge when an all terrain was fitted in my T4 there ...
I take it as I've 18 inch 235 /55/18 trail terrain fitted to a 4 motion ... Am I ok to put a 235/60/17 tyre on the 17" steel wheel for use as a spare ?

just seen this thread , good to know a 235/60/17 fits in the cradle ...had the sa,e job lowering the hinge when an all terrain was fitted in my T4 there ...
I take it as I've 18 inch 235 /55/18 trail terrain fitted to a 4 motion ... Am I ok to put a 235/60/17 tyre on the 17" steel wheel for use as a spare ?
According to willtheyfit the diameter difference on those two tyres is only 2mm, which is considerably less than changing from a worn to a new tyre. So yes, i'd say you'd be fine

looking for a suitable tyre is a bit of a chew
wonder if an 18" 5 x 120 pcd wheel from a range rover etc.. be just as easy to fit with an AT tyre ?

Back