What to fit OEM or aftermarket sliding windows.

I have a panel van, so never had the VW windows, but have had flush-fitting sliding windows installed.

The only time these have let in water was when the van was left on ramps - elevated at the front - which appears to have stopped rainwater draining out.

The actual size of the window opening isn’t as big as OEM.

Compared to other windows they are expensive, but in my opinion, aesthetically better.

I have a panel van, so never had the VW windows, but have had flush-fitting sliding windows installed.

The only time these have let in water was when the van was left on ramps - elevated at the front - which appears to have stopped rainwater draining out.

The actual size of the window opening isn’t as big as OEM.

Compared to other windows they are expensive, but in my opinion, aesthetically better.

Thanks for the reply.

Just scoping my options as done know what else to do.

Anymore experiences out there? Are the replacements a direct fit? I have seen the non-flush sliding windows. Are they better, any issues when replacing the OEM ones?

TIA

No experience on aftermarkets but had my OEM sliders (twin sliding doors) replaced last year under warranty and both are leaking again.
Back to VW I go.

No experience on aftermarkets but had my OEM sliders (twin sliding doors) replaced last year under warranty and both are leaking again.
Back to VW I go.

same for me. been back to VW and they cleared the blocked drainage holes...
i'm expecting them to block again at some point.

Update, had enough of trying to solve the leaky windows. Getting them replaced with aftermarket sliders. Has anyone used an autoglazing company to remove and fit new ones or is it best to go to a conversion company?

TIA

Update, had enough of trying to solve the leaky windows. Getting them replaced with aftermarket sliders. Has anyone used an autoglazing company to remove and fit new ones or is it best to go to a conversion company?

TIA
From what I have seen, it’s bread and butter work for autoglazing firms, whilst I’d imagine that converters seldom replace panels.

I have just replaced the slider, comes complete with new seal and catch easy to fit from TPS. Has stopped the water leak, the old slider outer metal band was rusty and distorted allowing the seal to sit incorrectly. Window had been leaking from about 6 months old.

I have just replaced the slider, comes complete with new seal and catch easy to fit from TPS. Has stopped the water leak, the old slider outer metal band was rusty and distorted allowing the seal to sit incorrectly. Window had been leaking from about 6 months old.

Hi is there a part number for the repair kit?

Development - due to the fact that it didn't sit right with me having to pay for replacement windows, I contacted VW commercial customer services and did an online chat.

That chat resulted in a case manager ringing me today and acknowledging that my issue was not the first and they were are aware of the problems. The case manager will now be contacting my local VW van centre to hopefully arrange replacement windows.

I explained that it has been well documented that they leak and if the windows were replaced I did not want to be in the same position again. I was informed that the replacements have a 2 year warranty and they were not aware of any issues with those that were replaced.

My query now is, do I just go with the replacement window which is like for like or try and negotiate having aftermarket windows which are better and will not leak or just go with it and if they leak claim on the 2 year guarantee.

Has anyone had aftermarkets fitted after the claim was given the go ahead?

Thanks all..

If vw suggest that they have not seen any issues with replacement windows failing, I think you would be hard pressed to require them to pay for an aftermarket solution.

Just a question about being told the replacements have a 2 year warranty. To my understanding parts replaced under warranty have the same timeframe as the rest of the vehicle. ie if the vehicle has 3 months warranty left so will any parts replaced on that warranty. That is unless you make a contribution to the cost of the work. Then the new parts are covered by the standard 3 year warranty.

Just a question about being told the replacements have a 2 year warranty. To my understanding parts replaced under warranty have the same timeframe as the rest of the vehicle. ie if the vehicle has 3 months warranty left so will any parts replaced on that warranty. That is unless you make a contribution to the cost of the work. Then the new parts are covered by the standard 3 year warranty.
Thanks all for your replies. I was told by the case manager that the replacements were warranted for 2 years. VW are calling me back tomorrow, so I will confirm this and update you all.

Update; following a call from the VWVC customer services case manager, it has been agreed that the windows will be replaced despite being out of warranty. It's booked into have the replacements for next week. Hopefully there will be no further problems. As for guarantee, I've been told there will be a 2 year parts warranty covering them.

Fair play to the case manager, could not have been more helpful and understanding and didn't have to jump through hoops. They were really good and I'm not just saying this. It has put my faith back into VW.

OK so I've fitted seats in the back of my t6 and now looking to fit windows. Read a lot of stories about the slider windows leaking (seems to be the oem vw ones). Are the aftermarket ones safe?
Also been looking at the new style ones that are flush and happy to pay the extra cost but now been told they are rubbish and leak too.
If it's a case of more often than not they leak I'd rather play it safe and fit non opening ones. Nothing worse than a windscreen full of condensation because there's damp inside.
Feel free to share your experiences and advice.
Thanks

Back