What to fit OEM or aftermarket sliding windows.

superflyguy

VIP Member
T6 Legend
For those of you like me who've gone down the panel van route, what sliding window choice did you go for ? . I've heard horror stories about original vw ones regarding leaking, but a few people I know that own kombis have had no issues.
I'd prefer to go original but open to suggestions on similar after market.
Do you know of any recommended fitters in the Lincolnshire area , if not I'm prepared to venture further.
I did use exploria a few years ago when I had my t5, but didn't go for sliders then.
Thanks.

I went for after market windows in my camper conversion, slightly darker tint than ome one's.
The reason I went for these was because of all the stories of the ome one's leaking, plus they were cheaper.

Last edited:
Mine was a panel van to start with and the guy who built her doesn't like the openers.

Cheers guys, I didn't have sliders on my old van, the only reason I thought they may be useful is if I eventually go for a smevl hob so would help when cooking. I've got air con so shouldn't get to hot in the back anyway, well depends on the mood !!

Mine is a van to Kombi conversion, I went with solid windows on the sliders due to a majority of horror stories and the fact I've got the additional roof mounted ir ducting for vents.

Sounds like the majority have gone for solid Windows , would save a heap of cash too I guess.

Same here, twin sliding doors and windows Factory fit, no issues with leaks.

I know we hear of folk who have been unlucky enough to have all manner of issues leaky side windows being one of them and I don't deny any of them after all I had knocking steering - that has been sorted under warranty without fuss. However you have to remember where we are - the Internet! Here problems can get disproportionately blown up - after all why would anyone without leaky windows or knocking steering post about it?

So it seems to me that the the vast majority don't experience the problem. After all if the problem reached even a fraction of a percent then then it would become a major design / quality / cost issue for VW and it would have been designed out rather than perpetuated for 15 years?

All I can say is that we have a 3 year 50K old originally a Kombi. It is parked outside (18 months of which were a few hundred metres from the sea front), gets jet washed and has driven though biblical rain and so far shows no sign of leaks. I have recently sprayed them with silicone lube because they became a bit stiff to close but that is all.

I know we hear of folk who have been unlucky enough to have all manner of issues leaky side windows being one of them and I don't deny any of them after all I had knocking steering - that has been sorted under warranty without fuss. However you have to remember where we are - the Internet! Here problems can get disproportionately blown up - after all why would anyone without leaky windows or knocking steering post about it?

So it seems to me that the the vast majority don't experience the problem. After all if the problem reached even a fraction of a percent then then it would become a major design / quality / cost issue for VW and it would have been designed out rather than perpetuated for 15 years?

All I can say is that we have a 3 year 50K old originally a Kombi. It is parked outside (18 months of which were a few hundred metres from the sea front), gets jet washed and has driven though biblical rain and so far shows no sign of leaks. I have recently sprayed them with silicone lube because they became a bit stiff to close but that is all.
Thanks @VanBlanc

Don't blame me if yours leak ;)

Openers are a must for us. We do have rear vents but in hot weather the pup needs more fresh air than they give while we are on the move. They are also a must for cooking - especially in colder weather when everything else is shut. And they are good for night time ventilation - especially if we are parked up with the roof down.

Anyway we don't have a choice ours was a Kombi as will our T6 be when it gets here.

I wouldn't hold you responsible @VanBlanc haha.
I just want to get it right as there's no turning back I guess once fitted, also it's holding everything else up as Windows is the first job, oh and deciding on a nice set of wheels !!

Hi

Certainly, Ed and Celtic Motorhomes in Caerphilly 07771 650600.

We will both be at Camperjam in July if you are close enough to visit.

Regards
Paul

Back