What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

@Sparkyis. That's exactly the same as I measured mine at. Mind you going under a 2.1M barrier is a very scary experience!
Absolutely…. They mostly say “2.1m” in our area but that never stops me craning my head out the window as we slowly pass under to check!!!! Interestingly the van was higher at the front bar (position 2 from the front on a LWB) than the back but at least that was with the van empty so with the family in we should have a few more mm of clearance!

Sure.

First photo shows where the fridge is. The Dometic fridge has a fan on the left hand side, which pushes air out to the left. Originally, I cut a 120mm hole in the side of the left hand panel surrounding the fridge exactly opposite and stuck a 120mm vent there, which should help a bit - this was 4 years ago.

Second photo shows the door flapped down above the fridge. The space is shallow due to the sink, and as you can see it has a fire extinguisher plus fire blanket in there, plus a new thermometer with remote sensor to measure the temp above the fridge - this is temporary.
You can also see the homemade voltage regulator (LM317 based) in a black box with a control knob. This is fed from the fuse box, and the variable voltage output goes to the fan.
The fan is an generic 80mm model which is now cable tied into 80mm square slot cut into the 120mm vent mentioned above. Getting a photo of that is difficult as it is behind the drivers seat.

I was going to go with thermostatic control, but that just added complexity that we didn’t need.

It’s not been the best weather to test it, but got the interior up to 32°c with the heater today, and loaded the fridge. The the space behind the fridge was another 5° or so above that. As soon as the fan is turned on, the temperature drops quickly, so works well enough for me.

We have never had the problem that food isn’t cold enough (always gives us ice cubes for G&T), but very aware that the fridge has to work really hard in Southern Europe.

Hope this helps,

Pete

View attachment 162348

View attachment 162349
Just about to put my fridge back in after spending days cutting excess worktop off ( and hand sawing the effing slot for the edging that I'd forgotten would be needed), I have gained a whopping 2cm more leg room. But here's a mod I hadn't thought about, I have been been staring at my diddy vent and wondering if can handle another saw dust fest.

Popped a gloss black badge on with mat wrapped backing. Not too sure on the quality of the Vanstyle badge, it feels flimsy and a few of the clips broke when trying to get it back on the van.

C766C9AA-656F-4556-AEA2-E13B3A503F32.jpeg

For the back one I’ve kindly received some grey wrap from @Petezum and wrapped the backing in grey with the gloss black badge. Looks awesome I think :cool:

F92936FD-1FB7-49DD-B785-FDE3E860F728.jpeg

Still need to find some time to cut the chrome one off!

Not me but my local garage. We are going on holiday on Saturday and the aircon wasn't great, especially considering we are heading to Europe for two weeks, and only have front opening windows. There was 153grams of Aircon gas in the system (from memory) so it was topped up. Nice to have a local garage who can fit us in at short notice, as my planning is awful. We have the outward ferry and a week booked but need to book somewhere for the second week and a return ferry, as the ferry back Ams - NCL is fully booked.

Nice Side entry carpets @Sackmycook how do you get them to stay in the footwell? I placed some I cut myself, in mine but they don't stay longer than a couple of days without coming unstuck, and falling on the ground.

Just had my V Dubb remapped this morning. Happy with the extra bhp and torque. Very smooth pulling away and limited to not kick the arss out it:) 145bhp mapped to 170bhp. Insurers didn't change my premium for it either, bonus

IMG_20220628_144934.jpg

Last edited:
Another expensive day as I bought it some road tax and insurance. I also had to take some new pictures for the new Agreed Value Insurance so I took the opportunity to wash off the grime from our recent french road trip and give it a little polish before doing so. That should do until we get back from our next long trip which isn't planned until September.
005 PopTop.jpg

Took advantage of the June Revo sale and had Revo Stage 1 installed this morning on my 150ps 6 speed Kombi.

First impressions is that the drive feels smoother and more effortless, my goal was to improve driveability so time will tell! I have the 170 miles of Wales' finest A470 to drive at the weekend so will report back after!

Back