What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

So, today was better - second front coilover and both rears done and dusted in 4 hrs.

Still think I should have paid to have them fitted but it’s done now…

View attachment 163254

STXs - front and rear all the way down - there is no weight in my van it’s just a Kombi.

Wheels next - might need to raise the front slightly but will decide when I get the wheels - not decided on 19” Canteras or 20” Navis Twins or Supermetal Cells or whether to go bronze or silver or gun metal :whistle:

View attachment 163255View attachment 163256
those claytons dont half look small when lowered! :think smile bounce:

finally had the last straw with my factory kombi windows. Spent ages last year unblocking the drains and rebuilding the flimsy tab under the inside runner drain and sealing between the runner and the glass. They worked perfect for a year but now leaking again big time despite drain holes all clear, seams they leak between the runner and the actual glass. I've now decided they need to go especially after reading the other thread about the window that fell out.

So I have cleaned them all up (again) , removed the centre of the inside opening mechanism so they cant be opened, and siliconed from the outside as a temporary measure before I get them replaced.

ah well this will give me an excuse to get some with a higher tint so there is always a positive! rant over.... :rolleyes: :think smile bounce:

finally had the last straw with my factory kombi windows. Spent ages last year unblocking the drains and rebuilding the flimsy tab under the inside runner drain and sealing between the runner and the glass. They worked perfect for a year but now leaking again big time despite drain holes all clear, seams they leak between the runner and the actual glass. I've now decided they need to go especially after reading the other thread about the window that fell out.

So I have cleaned them all up (again) , removed the centre of the inside opening mechanism so they cant be opened, and siliconed from the outside as a temporary measure before I get them replaced.

ah well this will give me an excuse to get some with a higher tint so there is always a positive! rant over.... :rolleyes: :think smile bounce:
I’m thinking of just replacing mine as well. We had new opening rear quarters fitted last year, I thought I’d get a matching set for the front quarters. SWMBO is fed up with water leaking into the door store we fitted to the passenger side sliding door - the near final straw was when her books got damp in one of the pockets.

I’m thinking of just replacing mine as well. We had new opening rear quarters fitted last year, I thought I’d get a matching set for the front quarters. SWMBO is fed up with water leaking into the door store we fitted to the passenger side sliding door - the near final straw was when her books got damp in one of the pockets.
Have the THQ ones arrived in their store yet? They look well designed in their video.

Have the THQ ones arrived in their store yet? They look well designed in their video.
I’ll have a chat with our converter first. They had a guy who does all their windows fits for them. He fitted the new windows and tinted the original windows to match.
The kiravans door store is really useful, I want to carpet it to finish off the look inside but it’s no use carpeting it if it’ll get wet all the time and the bottom pocket fills up with water.

5FD18122-BAA4-4F39-9594-1B7451C4BA2D.jpeg

7EAA7A98-5E6F-426A-8453-2300E76C13EE.jpeg

A76203F4-0A66-4FB3-B1E1-B1F4050B1209.jpeg

Is there a specific scenario where the factory windows leak e.g. van pointing up hill, downhill or only on a tuesday?

Probably tempting fate but I’ve had my 3 year old Kombi for about 4 weeks and it has rained several times and been washed several times -
I have checked regularly knowing it is an issue but can’t see any leakage at all :whistle:

Is there a specific scenario where the factory windows leak e.g. van pointing up hill, downhill or only on a tuesday?

Probably tempting fate but I’ve had my 3 year old Kombi for about 4 weeks and it has rained several times and been washed several times - i
I have checked regularly knowing it is an issue but can’t see any leakage at all :whistle:
Well, now you’ve just gone and jinxed it!!!

Probably tempting fate but I’ve had my 3 year old Kombi for about 4 weeks and it has rained several times and been washed several times -
Not that I’m aware of. I thought I’d fixed the leaking issue when I’d treated all the rubber seals. There are days when it rains and they don’t leak and other days when they do. We’ve been away in the van for the first time these last few days and become aware of the leaking issue having come back.

Not that I’m aware of. I thought I’d fixed the leaking issue when I’d treated all the rubber seals. There are days when it rains and they don’t leak and other days when they do. We’ve been away in the van for the first time these last few days and become aware of the leaking issue having come back.
Have you checked the front and rear drain holes? Perhaps one of them is blocked so only drains if the van is parked uphill or downhill. Also did you clean the glass on the main part of the window where the sliding seal sits against?

I honestly didn't notice any water until after I read about it on this forum and decided to have a look. There was no indication around the windows that water was coming in, but when I pulled up the rubber flooring under on the drivers side the underside was very wet over a very large surface area.

Sliding door window seemed fine as no water pooled inside the door or at/under step.

I put a towel down under the driver side window where the mat meets the wall and a rolled up large microfibre cloth under the gap between the inside runner for the sliding part of the window and the widow "frame" if that makes sense.

That night it rained and the following morning both the towel and the cloth were soaked through.

I put a post up asking about preference of sliders and with no definite winner I pulled the trigger on a set of THQ/Camper Glass recessed sliders.

These have now been fitted for a few months with no issues.

I did see THQ announcing forthcoming flush sliders that have been years in development and they do look nice, but I didn't want to wait for them to be released as knowing my windows were leaking badly gave me super anxiety.

The fact that I had read so many people had the same issues even with warranty replacements was my main reason to not even bother with VW and just go straight to aftermarket replacements.

Have you checked the front and rear drain holes? Perhaps one of them is blocked so only drains if the van is parked uphill or downhill. Also did you clean the glass on the main part of the window where the sliding seal sits against?
I’ve not done any investigating. I’ll try to take a look when I get home. I fear that regardless of any remedial action they will leak again before try too long. Replacing them seems to be the best solution. When I’ve found out how much replacing them will cost I might change my mind.

every time it rains ;)
no I've been parked on the flat and they are still just as bad. fingers crossed yours stay ok!

Back