What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Got up on Saturday, opened the curtains, and saw this:

DSC_4263.JPG

Yes, that's my passenger side rear brake light lens on top of my van.

Looking around, I see this next door, and a similar one on my driveway, but by the pavement:

DSC_4264.JPG

That is a (heavy) roll of biodegradeable food caddy bags, as provided by the council.

The only explanation is that they are driving down the road, chucking them at the houses, like an american paper boy. It has hit the brake light at exactly the right angle, broken the tabs, and knocked it up onto the roof.

So, what to do? I can't do a simple light replacement, as I have vanshades on the barn doors, which cover up the second screw like this:

DSC_4272.JPG

So, new LHS brake light from TransporterHQ. I removed the lens cover to try and use it as a replacement. Not easy, trying to lever the red hooks over the tabs without breaking them was very difficult, best not done in the cold. Here it is separated, and with the broken one:

DSC_4269.JPG

DSC_4270.JPG

It slots in no problem!

Oh, it slots out again.

In, out. Damn.

Trouble is, in order to separate the lens, the tabs have been slightly bent away from centre, and now they won't click over the hooky bits on the light housing. Bugger.

So anyway, I have superglued it in place; glue on the lens tabs which seems to have gripped onto the light housing. It seems as tight on the door as the other one, so we will see how it does. No picture, 'cos it is dark and it looks just like a brake light.

Anyway, if anyone needs a LHS barn door third-brake light with broken lens cover, I have one going spare!

2F29684A-D0C8-43FB-96C5-D9ABBF4F0C8E.jpeg
After noticing the state of our fill up hose (covered in mould) I got a cheap scope from Amazon to check the pipe work from the filler to the tank. Did not look good! Photos not great but you get the point. So for the last few days I’ve been filling with puriclean leaving 12 hours draining rinsing and repeating. Just now filled with fresh water (and puriclean mini tab) to see tomorrow morning whether it worth keeping the water in there when we set off for our weekend away.

We didn’t use the water tank at all last year as it’s easier to use bottles (and we kept forgetting to fill up before pitching up) but it would be good to keep it useable.

Just fitted these up after deciding covering them in leathette was never going to give the finish I wanted.
Not with my skill set anyway
I'll be getting the roof lining done at some point soon.
View attachment 153034View attachment 153035
They don’t look bad at all! Been tempted to do something similar In Mike with carpet but concerned it might be too thick and not go back in easily? How simple was the removal?

They don’t look bad at all! Been tempted to do something similar In Mike with carpet but concerned it might be too thick and not go back in easily? How simple was the removal?
Removal really is as simple as it gets. Trim removal tool behind the pace and pop it off. There are 3 clips holding it. Unplug the tweeter from the wiring plug.

This stuff isn't carpet so it's not thick at all. It's a process called flocking.
Company I used was called Flocking Great in Norfolk. I'm glad I got the a and b pillars done in this as it was significantly cheaper than buying the leather covers online.

Removal really is as simple as it gets. Trim removal tool behind the pace and pop it off. There are 3 clips holding it. Unplug the tweeter from the wiring plug.

This stuff isn't carpet so it's not thick at all. It's a process called flocking.
Company I used was called Flocking Great in Norfolk. I'm glad I got the a and b pillars done in this as it was significantly cheaper than buying the leather covers online.
Spot on might look into that then as I’m pretty sure carpet will be way too thick, much prefer the look of the dark pillars though

View attachment 153036
After noticing the state of our fill up hose (covered in mould) I got a cheap scope from Amazon to check the pipe work from the filler to the tank. Did not look good! Photos not great but you get the point. So for the last few days I’ve been filling with puriclean leaving 12 hours draining rinsing and repeating. Just now filled with fresh water (and puriclean mini tab) to see tomorrow morning whether it worth keeping the water in there when we set off for our weekend away.

We didn’t use the water tank at all last year as it’s easier to use bottles (and we kept forgetting to fill up before pitching up) but it would be good to keep it useable.
This subject i do know about... always remember to wipe any tap your hooking up to with a sani wipe as people even drinking out of bottles put the bottle over the tap for a refill or short cut filling a porta loo.... you don't know what's going on the tap life

i would replace the hoses to your tank shock dose the tank with a cupful bleach and fill to the top with water and drive around for a few days then flush

out and rinse. dont leave water in your tank your spending a fortune in fuel lugging it about

use your tank water for boiling and washing up only and bottled water for drinking

even now people still don't wash there hands coming out of a toilet ..........why would they not do it ..... :speechless:

Any water grows germs above 20 degrees - right up to 60 degrees legionella and pseudamonas is ok if drank but bad if breathed in if you shower with it

could be why some get a cough and sore through taking a shower returning from holiday as they don't rinse out their shower head thats been left with warm water sat there for 2 weeks.

even clean cooler water has bugs in it but they don't multi-ply as much

lol lesson over hahaha

@JOG every days a school day
i took dip slides from cooling towers every day when i was based in the New British Library looking after the air con i kept on top of them there keeping the bugs down

its a shame i didn't get pics of what you can grow over 24 hours let alone left 3 or 4 days at a constant warm temp even clean water... and from all sorts of stuff we would try...

even now we sample drinking fountains get some high reading where bottles get put over the nozzles ......

just be careful out there your putting it all in your mouth..

This subject i do know about... always remember to wipe any tap your hooking up to with a sani wipe as people even drinking out of bottles put the bottle over the tap for a refill or short cut filling a porta loo.... you don't know what's going on the tap life

i would replace the hoses to your tank shock dose the tank with a cupful bleach and fill to the top with water and drive around for a few days then flush

out and rinse. dont leave water in your tank your spending a fortune in fuel lugging it about

use your tank water for boiling and washing up only and bottled water for drinking

even now people still don't wash there hands coming out of a toilet ..........why would they not do it ..... :speechless:

Any water grows germs above 20 degrees - right up to 60 degrees legionella and pseudamonas is ok if drank but bad if breathed in if you shower with it

could be why some get a cough and sore through taking a shower returning from holiday as they don't rinse out their shower head thats been left with warm water sat there for 2 weeks.

even clean cooler water has bugs in it but they don't multi-ply as much

lol lesson over hahaha
Thanks for the advice. I’ll see what it’s like tomorrow. We don’t usually use it at all, definitely don’t ship water around (bad enough having to cart the kids around with us ;)) and I don’t think anyone has ever drank from the tap, teeth brushing maybe but when the beer runs out there’s always tea!

I did think we were quite careful when filling to keep thing clean but obviously not clean enough!

I would need to remove most of the interior to replace the hoses etc so that definitely ain’t happening, hopefully it will be good enough now for tea and washing up. If not I may just keep cleaning it over this season and see what it’s like for 2023

Are you saying that the removal of all covid rules hasn’t removed the need to wash your hands after a pee?! Nanny state gone mad! :rofl:

Back