What Have You Bought Today?

Not van related - bought one of these so I can conduct an 'audit' of the energy consumption of various electrical devices around the house e.g. CCTV & intruder alarm that runs 247, security lights that are on from dusk til dawn, server cabinet, PC that is on all day when working from home etc etc. I refuse to have smart meters installed so this is the next best thing. I also have a spreadsheet :whistle: :rolleyes: rock n roll eh ;)

61eGVGoIZLS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Not van related - bought one of these so I can conduct an 'audit' of the energy consumption of various electrical devices around the house e.g. CCTV & intruder alarm that runs 247, security lights that are on from dusk til dawn, server cabinet, PC that is on all day when working from home etc etc. I refuse to have smart meters installed so this is the next best thing. I also have a spreadsheet :whistle: :rolleyes: rock n roll eh ;)

View attachment 176463
Love it (especially the spreadsheet:fast rofl:)!

I bought the tapo smart plug so I could program all the cables that are unreachable behind my tv stand to switch off at night rather than 4 or 5 units on standby. Great bit of kit ! now bought some smart bubs that work off the same app so I can now program different lights to go on and off when i am out and about in the van. Plus I can annoy the daughter by putting all the lights in the house into DISCO mode and switch the telly on and off from the app when we are away !!:slow rofl:

I bought the tapo smart plug so I could program all the cables that are unreachable behind my tv stand to switch off at night rather than 4 or 5 units on standby. Great bit of kit ! now bought some smart bubs that work off the same app so I can now program different lights to go on and off when i am out and about in the van. Plus I can annoy the daughter by putting all the lights in the house into DISCO mode and switch the telly on and off from the app when we are away !!:slow rofl:
Just remember, she'll be the one choosing your nursing home when you're old & frail. :sneaky:

Love it (especially the spreadsheet:fast rofl:)!

There is part of me that has the mindset of our energy bills are on a monthly direct debit and it’ll just get taken each month and go up or down as necessary, and the other part is interested to see just how much, or how little, some of these things cost to run having never thought about it ever before.

Surprisingly, to have a 9x camera CCTV system running 24/7/365 I am only paying £0.46p per day or £3.24 per week or £13.88 per month.
To have the SkyHD box running all day everyday costs £3.76 per month.

So my man maths tells me it must be the wife’s hairdryer and straighteners and her 15mins in the shower every day that is pushing up the usage :whistle:

There is part of me that has the mindset of our energy bills are on a monthly direct debit and it’ll just get taken each month and go up or down as necessary, and the other part is interested to see just how much, or how little, some of these things cost to run having never thought about it ever before.

Surprisingly, to have a 9x camera CCTV system running 24/7/365 I am only paying £0.46p per day or £3.24 per week or £13.88 per month.
To have the SkyHD box running all day everyday costs £3.76 per month.

So my man maths tells me it must be the wife’s hairdryer and straighteners and her 15mins in the shower every day that is pushing up the usage :whistle:
Women - one of the few things in life that cost more to run than a Transporter!

I have a few Tapo devices now - found them to be very good, reliable etc. They consume approx 1W just by being on which, as you say is much less than having the TV on standby.

83816F06-3CD0-4DDD-8768-3960234E1AC1.jpeg

I tried Phillips Hue and didn’t get on with it at all, plus also tried Eve Energy smart plugs and they were unreliable - so Tapo it is.

This is what you need for all the kit behind the telly and in your home office. It monitors the power on the master socket (TV), and when you put it into standby, it switches off all the peripherals.
1666191451661.png
Different versions of this also have a couple of permanently live outlets.

Hopefully the new tarmac is permeable. We had a micro asphalt dressing over ours as a quite tidy up to sell the house. It had some sort of resin in it which meant the water sat on it and turned to glass when it froze. Yours has a good fall for water run off, but it will still stay wet on the surface and freeze.

Hopefully the new tarmac is permeable. We had a micro asphalt dressing over ours as a quite tidy up to sell the house. It had some sort of resin in it which meant the water sat on it and turned to glass when it froze. Yours has a good fall for water run off, but it will still stay wet on the surface and freeze.

Yes, permeable. :thumbsup:

Back