Wash & Wax Time . . . . . . But Which One And How?

Great job . . . .

Now get some bumper/trim/plastic gel on those inner plastic arch liners and the mud flaps.

Then get the RimWax out.

=]
I bought some of that cheap 9h sealer from eBay just for trying in the arches and for mud flaps.
Lasted about 3-4 months.
This was on a fiesta though. I'm sure the durability will be the same on the van.
Not bad for a wee bottle of sealer that is cheaper than a bottle of wine.

Due to lockdown boredom i've decided to try my hand at detailing. After a lot of internet researching and advice from a friend who's into detailing I ended up buying the following.......

3 buckets ( 2 for wash, / 1 specific for the wheels)
1 snowfoam lance
Loads of microfibre towels !!
Microfibre sponges x 2
Auto finesse - avalanche snowfoam
Turtle wax - wash
Auto finesse - oblitarate
Iron X - carpro
Auto finesse- tripple 3 polish
Dodo juice - light fantastic wax
Meguiars foam applicators x 2

I was really happy with the results and found it quite therapeutic to he honest.

20200413_110545.jpg20200403_133249.jpg20200413_131111.jpg20200413_105936.jpg20200413_131521.jpg20200413_131558.jpg

I've added a new Detailing section to my "Kit List & Stuff" List . . . Anything else worth adding to help others?

Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
LOL. . . . ok i will do.

at least my dirty bucket is dirty . . . . but clean bucket is clean =]

(both with grit guards)

its Wash & Wax time . . . . but with a difference (Dellmassive Style)

were going to start with this . . . .

K7 Karcher and the 2 Bucket method,

20200530_140255.jpg

20200530_140249.jpg

20200530_140245.jpg

Nothing too outrageous there . . .

Then add a good coat of AG SRP . . .

20200530_140146.jpg

which gave me this . . .

20200530_140209.jpg20200530_140201.jpg

Few i was thinking . . .thats a lot of panel . . . . . its gona take ages to buff all that off . . . . . and its goning to kill my arms and back . . .

well not on this occasion sunny . . . .

Cue Dellmassive Lazy-Boy Van-Wax Arm and Back saver . . . . =]

20200530_140240.jpg20200530_140226.jpg20200530_140231.jpg

lets do this . . . . . . . .

switch on and gently glide over the panels . . .

20200530_140444.jpg

20200530_140608.jpg

look one-handed . . . .

20200530_140603.jpg20200530_140423.jpg

the results . . . . . . super easy wax job. no sore back or burning arms, and kinda therapeutic =]

20200530_160154.jpg

20200530_160214.jpg

20200530_160321.jpg20200530_160257.jpg20200530_160021.jpg

even had enough time then to do all the plastics, mudflaps and tyres with this awesome stuff:

job done . . . . . time for a beer . . . . .

20200530_150626.jpg

check them out:

well check this out 30% off right now (Body only) if you already have a Ryobi battery (i have a few Ryobi tools for home DIY so i already have a couple of batteries:

and i got the extra Buffer pads too:

1590906086129.png

Looks good, my only comment would be that you can’t do any paint correction with that mop.

Spend a little more on a DA like this - Electrical Multi-Function Polisher with polishing Sponge Set with Tool Bag: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I’ve let the local Kurdish sponge jockeys loose on my van over the winter and my paint was badly swirled.

I’ve got a fixed head polisher, so I have to be super cautious, but 2 hours with some Poorboys SSR3 and then a top coat of Poorboys Blackhole and finally a last step product of Gtechniq Liquid Crystal spray.

I like all these products because you can apply and remove them in the sun quite easily, nothing worse than ending up with a smeary baked on mess.

It’s a crap photo, but all the swirls are gone and it’ll last for a few months if I just carefully two bucket wash it myself.

1D89E106-DEE7-415B-AAB6-CDB962EB66E0.jpeg

very nice . . . . (Nice and shiny, Love the Rims BTW)

I have 240v DA mop and detailing heads (all be it a cheapo versions)

That i used to compound out paint scratches on the last van and mop the plastic headlights on the old BMW etc . . .

but its a bit cumbersome, needs all the faff of extension leads and its noisey etc etc ( remember im a lazy git and cant be bothered getting it all out)=]

so yes totally agree that a DA is the PRO way to do a proper job.

(FYI - I've even gone out and got a 25mtr jetwash hose extension so i dont have to move the Karcher from the back garden, i just leave it out back, leave the hose down the side. then just connect up the long hose when i want to use it out font - - - - - - so getting out an extension lead is way to much hasstle)

But for yesterdays job it was a nice and easy, battery powered, quick and simple.

with a gentle BRRRRRRRR sound and a bit of "MI-Soul" DAB radio kicking out in the background.

Its no detailing Mop by any means, but if your lazy like me when it comes to washing the van, any little trick helps, this made buffing off the wax a dream job.

Cue massive rant from the Pro`s . . . . . . . . . . . . . =]

very nice . . . . (Nice and shiny, Love the Rims BTW)

I have 240v DA mop and detailing heads (all be it a cheapo versions)

That i used to compound out paint scratches on the last van and mop the plastic headlights on the old BMW etc . . .

but its a bit cumbersome, needs all the faff of extension leads and its noisey etc etc ( remember im a lazy git and cant be bothered getting it all out)=]

so yes totally agree that a DA is the PRO way to do a proper job.

(FYI - I've even gone out and got a 25mtr jetwash hose extension so i dont have to move the Karcher from the back garden, i just leave it out back, leave the hose down the side. then just connect up the long hose when i want to use it out font - - - - - - so getting out an extension lead is way to much hasstle)

But for yesterdays job it was a nice and easy, battery powered, quick and simple.

with a gentle BRRRRRRRR sound and a bit of "MI-Soul" DAB radio kicking out in the background.

Its no detailing Mop by any means, but if your lazy like me when it comes to washing the van, any little trick helps, this made buffing off the wax a dream job.

Cue massive rant from the Pro`s . . . . . . . . . . . . . =]

Sorry dude, yes I should have known you had all the proper gear too. Just like me then, I have my main tools, back up tools and then my working from home tools, plus some more essential tools that I carry when we go camping etc.

My wife always mains that the double garage is so packed with tools and bikes that none of us have been able to park in there since we moved in 5 years ago :laugh:

I've got this one . . . . . :rofl:

top quality job . . . .

1590912382277.png

1590912405866.png

with some of these 4" pads . . .

1590912470431.png

and these 7" pads . .

1590912495927.png

and a big tub of this . . Farecla G3

1590912566655.png

but i cant be trusted with any of it and will most likely burn right through the paint work.

last time i moped the van i had more compound on the floor and all over myself than on the body work. . . . . . . . . after that occasion i decided id leave it to the professionals HAHAHAHAHA..

Having said that i think it might be time to Clay-Bar the van . . . . its 2years old now and never been done, there are lots of little specs about that i noticed.

but thats for another day.

Sorry dude, yes I should have known you had all the proper gear too. Just like me then, I have my main tools, back up tools and then my working from home tools, plus some more essential tools that I carry when we go camping etc.
yeh totally know what you mean =]

Great post! Thanks as I’ve had a disaster at the car wash (scratched van to s**t).

Unrelated question but what front spoiler is that? I like it.

Anybody got any recommendations for a decent tyre cleaner and also I want some wax but not the usual white stuff that you wipe on then buff off.
My tyres constantly look brown and muddy...
Thanks

This works for me, but I'm no detailer:

Pressure wash the worst of the dirt off.
Spray tyres with soapy water and leave a couple of minutes.
Pressure wash again, I do the top half then move van forward a bit then repeat. Don't get the lance too close to the tyre, it can damage it if you do.
When the tyre is dry I use Meguiars Endurance tyre dressing, lasts well and isn't too glossy.

My favourite wax is Autoglym Ultra High Definition Wax, very expensive but looks great. Wax is a waste of time if the preparation isn't done properly though.
I have to admit I've started using synthetic sealants more than wax, doesn't look quite as good but lasts much longer.

I've recently got some Chemical Guys Insta Carnuba wax. I really rate it. And good hydrophobic properties as well.

Back