Wash & Wax Time . . . . . . But Which One And How?

Recently joined the forum and benefiting hugely from all the great advice shared here - thank you :)

Having read through this thread, wanted to ask what are the potential problems of ceramic coatings? (Carbon13 mentioned potential problem(s) above)

Recently joined the forum and benefiting hugely from all the great advice shared here - thank you :)

Having read through this thread, wanted to ask what are the potential problems of ceramic coatings? (Carbon13 mentioned potential problem(s) above)
Only issue that i am awate of , is that your paintwork needs to be swirl and scratch free before applying a ceramic coating .

As it will still show through the ceramic

Reactions: jdo
Following recommendation by @Mick last year I have just (yesterday) had my new car ceramic coated by PP Protect - they thoroughly clean and machine polish before applying - results look stunning:- PPProtect

T6 is going to them in December for similar.

If you are leasing a van and it's going back to a dealer in 3-4 yrs then a ceramic may make sense but if you are owning for longer I don't think it does. Reason being it has to be removed to be applied again and this will involve hours in person or at a detailer £££, have a look at the video from the guys at SwissVax who I think explain it well albeit he references classics.

There are more than enough modern chemical temporary hydrophobic finishes/protectants which add 10 minutes to a weekly wash and give the same or a similar look.

I've taken to adding some of the below into a foam gun reservoir and spraying it on after rinsing the van down, water just beads off the paint to the point it is almost dry by the time I take a microfibre cloth to it.

Bobby Dazzler

For sheer value for money and what the marketing men call 'theatre' I still don't think Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish can be beaten.

Reactions: jdo
As a self confessed lazy git who hates cleaning cars ceramic coating makes perfect sense - if it stays looking anywhere near as good as it does now with minimal effort on my part for 2 or 3 years then I’ll happily pay to get it stripped and reapplied if required and I decide to keep the car beyond this.

Why the need to strip it ?

It can be kept topped up with various polishes and fillers if it does get scratched .
Eventually it will just wear away anyway

Here we go then, I've joined the club and got the proper kit...... had to sell a kidney though....!!

(Mr Halfords was very happy . . . but 10% off with AA card so only had to sell one kidney instead of two)

View attachment 25302

went for the HD WAX as recomended . . . pricey!!!! and some bug and tar remover for the tree sap and a squeegee.

View attachment 25303

went for some PH neutral shampoo, oh the clay bar from the other daY......

View attachment 25304

Then to keep @Tourershine happy and @Pauly amused I've ditch the white flannel cloths for some microfiber jobbies,...waxing pads. micro cloths and micro wash mits.

View attachment 25305

and not forgetting the "two Bucket method" & Grit gurads . . . .

View attachment 25306

hopefully thats the lot . . . . . . . .

Yep everything I use apart from water squeeze. Only use micro fibre towel. Wash wheel aches too try off as well lol

Weather has been nice today . . . . .

so after having repaired the TWO punctures i had in the rear tyres . . . . . i thought i would give the van a wash..

But this time . . . . . it was a bit different.

Some new kids on the block today . . . . . . . . . . .

Firstly let me introduce our new 12v jet-washer and big tank of clean water...

20181013_162515.jpg

This was powered by our trusty NOCO jump pack

Incidentally . . . after an hour or so playing about jetwashing it still showed 100% !! Nuts..

20181013_162526.jpg

The jetwasher was decent enough to get rid of some Bird poop . . . and other cacky-ness.

20181013_162519.jpg

After the wash down it was time to try a new product . . . . .

This time a recommendation from @Loz and the SUPER SONIC SP-RIN-TS.

its some detailing magic that you just spray-on when the vans wet after a hand-wash and rinse.

Once its rinsed off its time to dry the van and see what its like. . . . . . . The only problem is i seem to have used half a bottle on the one wash? tho having a PV i do have more paint work to cover...

20181013_164313.jpg

The results so far are looking very impressive . . . .

nice and water-droppy . . . . . .

20181013_164248.jpg

and very shiney . . . . .

20181013_170140.jpg

so the final result . . . . . well have a look below..

This is one of the intermediate washes . . . . . the AGHD wax was two washes ago (5weeks ago). . . .

This time no wax . . . . . just this spray and wash off stuff. . . . .

20181013_170122.jpg

So thank you @Loz for the heads up on the spray wax stuff . . . . . .

Oh the watermelon air-freshener spray is well nice too.. . . . . ..

and the Jet-wash time and big tank are both available on Ebay and Amazon etc etc etc.

Happy Saturday Guys =]

Another little shopup.

This time with the Halfords Trade card.

Berry screen wash looks interesting =)

20190308_133533.jpg

Reactions: MrT
Looking good there @Dellmassive if your using 25ltr drums to clean your van you might interested in www.spotlesswater.co.uk as you can but ultra pure water for around 3.6p a litre helps especially in summer with water spotting as the water is pure. The water is what I use to not only clean windows with but also me van :thumbsup:

De-Ionising rinse!!!!

Many paint care enthusiasts enjoy washing their vans but find the drying process frustrating. Why? Because towel drying has a tendency to cause marring (unless a time consuming patting method is employed), and leaving the car to dry off naturally often results in water spots appearing. Water spots form when tap water evaporates, and are made of a mineral called calcium carbonate. When this mineral dries out and hardens in hot sunny weather it often becomes difficult to remove, and in extreme cases it can etch the underlying paint. Using an Aqua Gleam De-ionising Water Filter combats this problem by filtering out the calcium carbonate in your tap water. You can then rinse your car and leave it to dry naturally with no fear of water spots forming. The benefits are huge; it not only guarantees a spot-free finish, but also saves you time and cuts out all of the marring-risk associated with towel drying.

Mine is plugged on only to rinse when going quick washes.

I hated the first 5 mins as he clearly knew nothing about what he was talking, then it did become better when he got onto the testing.

I've watched him for a while too, he is good at what he does but does tend to get taken in by marketing speak

@Dellmassive @Skyliner33 I recently found this guy on YouTube and I've watched at least a dozen of his posts....weirdly interesting and addictive
Agreed,

I've watched 20 or 30 of his YT vids, detailing is not my thing, but as you say it's kind of addictive to watch and learn.

Back