Wash & Wax Time . . . . . . But Which One And How?

3B211385-51FD-437F-B8E3-91C19A683079.jpeg
Here we go then, I've joined the club and got the proper kit...... had to sell a kidney though....!!

(Mr Halfords was very happy . . . but 10% off with AA card so only had to sell one kidney instead of two)

View attachment 25302

went for the HD WAX as recomended . . . pricey!!!! and some bug and tar remover for the tree sap and a squeegee.

View attachment 25303

went for some PH neutral shampoo, oh the clay bar from the other daY......

View attachment 25304

Then to keep @Tourershine happy and @Pauly amused I've ditch the white flannel cloths for some microfiber jobbies,...waxing pads. micro cloths and micro wash mits.

View attachment 25305

and not forgetting the "two Bucket method" & Grit gurads . . . .

View attachment 25306

hopefully thats the lot . . . . . . . .
It’s a slippery slope I can guarantee that won’t be the last of it!
I think we need to start a beading appreciation thread lol :laugh:

Right ok . . . . . . whats best for the tyres?

weve got the body work sorted . . . . . whats the best tyre dressing for that long lasting glossy shine.

im sure I've tried over 10 different ones . they all claim the same but so far have all been rubbish.

I've tried spray foams, rubber treatment, pvc cleaner etc etc etc . . they all seem ok on the day . . . . but withing a couple of days the tyres look dull and rubbish again.

what we all using? . . . . or just whats the best ?

weve got the body work sorted . . . . . whats the best tyre dressing for that long lasting glossy shine.

im sure I've tried over 10 different ones . they all claim the same but so far have all been rubbish.

I've tried spray foams, rubber treatment, pvc cleaner etc etc etc . . they all seem ok on the day . . . . but withing a couple of days the tyres look dull and rubbish again.

Car pro pearl longest lasting and cost effective!
None will last long unless all the old stuff is thouroughly cleaned off with a stiff brush and a all purpose cleaner first

For long lasting shiny black tyres then I consider this to be best, ArmorAll Extreme Tyre Shine Gel + Applicator less than £9 delivered from fleabay.

For amazing cleaning of alloy wheels then it has to be Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel, watching it work is mesmerising.....

Best and cheapest drying aid is Triplewax Waterless Wash and Shine From Wilkinsons.

Instead of a wax I now use Maguiars Ultimate Fast Finish, you get a ceramic like finish, a deep shine, obviously much less durable but without any of the long term
grief ceramic coating people will be having in 2-3 years.

For me gyeon Q2 not ridiculously priced and gives a nice matt deep black colour to the tyres.
I don’t like the tyres looking wet like it’s just rolled out of the local Brillo pad cars washes, doesn’t last ages but I do wash my wheels a couple of times a week!

I've tried loads of tyre products with varying results, but stick to Meguiars Endurance now.
It's the only Meguiars product we use, but it applies lovely with a sponge, and lasts longer than lost tyre products.
I tend to favour a gel over anything else. Sprays just leave spatter on your wheels and bodywork, foams tend to drip down the bottom centre of the tyre and leave a line.
I will say that as @N58amx mentioned the tyres need to be really clean to start with, and we use a panel wipe solution to get them clean.

Here we go then, I've joined the club and got the proper kit...... had to sell a kidney though....!!

(Mr Halfords was very happy . . . but 10% off with AA card so only had to sell one kidney instead of two)

View attachment 25302

went for the HD WAX as recomended . . . pricey!!!! and some bug and tar remover for the tree sap and a squeegee.

View attachment 25303

went for some PH neutral shampoo, oh the clay bar from the other daY......

View attachment 25304

Then to keep @Tourershine happy and @Pauly amused I've ditch the white flannel cloths for some microfiber jobbies,...waxing pads. micro cloths and micro wash mits.

View attachment 25305

and not forgetting the "two Bucket method" & Grit gurads . . . .

View attachment 25306

hopefully thats the lot . . . . . . . .
Hi,

You've gone to town alright, got some great products there and most of them will leave you with a lovely looking van. But word of warning, take that squeegee back to Halford...that's one of the quickest ways to scratch your pride and joy. Instead buy yourself a couple of microfibre drying towels, much safer way to dry your vehicle and quicker too!

you can get them on eBay 2 for £12.

TWIN PACK Car Drying Towel Cloth Microfibre Extra Large 60 x 90cm Trade Quality | eBay

Also, though Bilt Hamber make one of the best clay bars available, it is very easy to Marr the paint when using. Don't buy expensive clay lube, get yourself a cheap spray bottle from B&Q or Wilko etc, one bottle of Johnsons Baby shampoo and put a few drops in the spray butter and then fill the top drop with water. This will give you at least 2-3 years worth of clay lube for about £3.

I feel I should explain little about the overused term"clay bar".
a full decontamination generally comes in 3 parts. Stage 1 and 2 are aimed at removing (or softening) surface contaminants such as tar, tree sap and iron fallout, then the final stage tackles surface imbedded contamination which is where the clay bar comes in.
So I would always decontaminate in this order:
1. tar remover
2. iron remover
3 clay bar.

If you don't do stage 1 and 2, then you are asking a lot of your clay bar, it will become clogged and dirty very quickly and you will Marr (scratch) the paint.

Even doing these 3 stages, there's a good chance you will damage the paint finish. So in short, if you're not planning on machine polishing the vehicle, then don't use a clay bar.

This is not aimed to sound like "you don't want to do it like that, you want to do it like this". I just want to pass on helpful tips I've picked up over the years, plus save you guys money and valuable time.

Make sure to clean the tyre profile with a good stiff brush with your shampoo. The main problem tyre dressing doesn't last long is it's been applied on to dirty rubber.

I use Gyeon Q2 Tire, which is like a gel and applied with a foam applicator, give a nice even long lasting coat.

Think im catching the Detailing bug . . . . . . . . its great doing in in this lovely weather, kind of therapeutic.

not sure whats going to happen come winter and general UK crappy weather. . . . . . lets hope the AG HD Wax claim of Months of protection sees us through the grey days . . . . . =]

some great suggestions above from you all . . . . . im looking into all of them.

in the mean time i seemed to have tripped over and fell back into Halfords for some additional goodies.

(ignore the buckets, i used them as a 99p "bag-for-life" - ill give them to the kids to play with)

23.jpg

I feel sorry for your wallets shopping at Halfords, that place is a complete rip off

agreed, but they got some sale prices on some of that kit and you get 10% off with an AA card.

I feel sorry for your wallets shopping at Halfords, that place is a complete rip off

Halfords isn't actually as bad as it used to be. I need a new Double Din stereo for my Motorhome because the current Pioneer unit only has a shelf life of 10,000 miles and 3 years, and no one in the universe fixes them anymore:mad:, and Halfords are actually cheaper than everyone else for a replacement unit.

Their tools are reasonable prices, and most have a lifetime guarantee, they often do great offers too.
I agree, they used to be daft money for everything, but I think they've realised they needed to be competitive in todays world where big stores are fast closing down.

Halfords isn't actually as bad as it used to be. I need a new Double Din stereo for my Motorhome because the current Pioneer unit only has a shelf life of 10,000 miles and 3 years, and no one in the universe fixes them anymore:mad:, and Halfords are actually cheaper than everyone else for a replacement unit.

Their tools are reasonable prices, and most have a lifetime guarantee, they often do great offers too.
I agree, they used to be daft money for everything, but I think they've realised they needed to be competitive in todays world where big stores are fast closing down.
You wouldn’t want one of their “fitters” doing that “we’ll fit it” thing though.

For long lasting shiny black tyres then I consider this to be best, ArmorAll Extreme Tyre Shine Gel + Applicator less than £9 delivered from fleabay.

For amazing cleaning of alloy wheels then it has to be Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel, watching it work is mesmerising.....

And the box it came in gave me and the postie a good laugh too :rofl: I had to open it in front of the postman because he was curious:rofl:

image.jpg

Seems the the AG "wheel protector" (spray on) is not recommended for Black wheels as it leaves a white residue . . . . So

Got myself a tub of "Rim Wax" from amazon, thanks for the tip. (will use it as a top coat on the gloss black rims)

On the Detailing front and due to whats been said about the "wash monkeys" wash stripping of the AG UHD Wax etc .....

Do any of you Detailing Gods know if this stuff (the pink shampoo) will be PH netural or more to the point can i use it ontop of the AG UHD Wax coat?

went into costco for some supplies and found this at a very reasonable price . . . . .

20180716_180508.jpg

20180716_180524.jpg

Seems the the AG "wheel protector" (spray on) is not recommended for Black wheels as it leaves a white residue . . . . So

Got myself a tub of "Rim Wax" from amazon, thanks for the tip. (will use it as a top coat on the gloss black rims)

On the Detailing front and due to whats been said about the "wash monkeys" wash stripping of the AG UHD Wax etc .....

Do any of you Detailing Gods know if this stuff (the pink shampoo) will be PH netural or more to the point can i use it ontop of the AG UHD Wax coat?

went into costco for some supplies and found this at a very reasonable price . . . . .

View attachment 25570

View attachment 25571
Bought the exact same stuff a few years back from costco....
It stripped my sons lsp ,which at the time was car pro reload...
If it stripped that /im 90 percent sure it would strip all your wax /polish etc in a heartbeat
Its quite corrosive.. hense why it includesabuilt in wax

Edit .. loving the kirkland yellows

Save it for the winter washing ..
Chuck it through your snow foam gun at a low ratio .
At least in cooler periods , you will have less chance of it drying on your panels .

View attachment 25570

View attachment 25571

Costco Microfibre cloths are the best on the market in my opinion, and we have literally 100's of them, and they wash up lovely.
A great tip on the really filthy cloths. If you fill a bucket/25l plastic drum with the top cut off with boiling water and some really cheap biological washing powder, then drop the filthy microfibre cloths in the water for 10 mins, then pressure wash them on a clean wooden board, they come up like new again. This will mess up your drive and street with a trail of wax, so be careful. Another great tip is keep the cloths that are way beyond cleaning, until you have a bag full, then donate them to your local mechanics for mopping up oil. It's a great way to keep in favour with your local garage:thumbsup:

Costco Microfibre cloths are the best on the market in my opinion, and we have literally 100's of them, and they wash up lovely.
A great tip on the really filthy cloths. If you fill a bucket/25l plastic drum with the top cut off with boiling water and some really cheap biological washing powder, then drop the filthy microfibre cloths in the water for 10 mins, then pressure wash them on a clean wooden board, they come up like new again. This will mess up your drive and street with a trail of wax, so be careful. Another great tip is keep the cloths that are way beyond cleaning, until you have a bag full, then donate them to your local mechanics for mopping up oil. It's a great way to keep in favour with your local garage:thumbsup:
My misses hates it when mine get washed!!!
Straight into the washing machine :rofl:

Back