Wallas heater and cooker

Keaney

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Only just found out about this bit of kit from Vandoc, does anyone have one?

How does it compare with a eberspacher?

Very tempted with the no gas idea but the exhaust looks terrible on the Wallas.

Also noticed some conversions at busfest having a ceramic diesel cooker. Definitely make me steer away from gas ones

Been discussed a few times on here, we are trying to decide as well.

Diesel Hob

Type 'Wallas' into the search bar above and a few threads will come up. Good luck

Only just found out about this bit of kit from Vandoc, does anyone have one?

How does it compare with a eberspacher?

Very tempted with the no gas idea but the exhaust looks terrible on the Wallas.

Also noticed some conversions at busfest having a ceramic diesel cooker. Definitely make me steer away from gas ones
visiting my converter tomorrow to finalize specifications and options. Likely to go the Wallas route.

Hmm I'm hearing the heater is not as good as a webasto or eberspacher so thinking go with one of them at a later date and maybe go for a diesel cooker over gas

Hmm I'm hearing the heater is not as good as a webasto or eberspacher so thinking go with one of them at a later date and maybe go for a diesel cooker over gas
couple of disadvantages to most diesel hobs is the lack of protection for the ceramic top and length of time to cool down before either errant little fingers are safe to touch it or it can be used as a worktop again. The Wallas lid mostly combats both these. My wife is just struggling with the idea of the aesthetics of having the lid sitting proud of the worktop, we have until Jan to decide.

Yeah I spoke to the guys at northshore conversions who were great, said every optionhas a compromise so it's going to boil down to requirement.

More time to research I think

couple of disadvantages to most diesel hobs is the lack of protection for the ceramic top and length of time to cool down before either errant little fingers are safe to touch it or it can be used as a worktop again. The Wallas lid mostly combats both these. My wife is just struggling with the idea of the aesthetics of having the lid sitting proud of the worktop, we have until Jan to decide.

We have one, can't compare with the others, however heats up quick, agree aesthetically sitting proud of worktop not as pretty as others but practically very good and they have a a safety catch to stop little fingers being burnt.

We have one, can't compare with the others, however heats up quick, agree aesthetically sitting proud of worktop not as pretty as others but practically very good and they have a a safety catch to stop little fingers being burnt.

Great to find someone with first hand experience and thank you for your feedback @Phil Harris . Do you have any other thoughts (positive or negative) and if ever changing the van, would you have another.
Cheers

I booked in for the wallas this weekend with my converter, will be fitted in February. Total cost including fitting will be 1900eur but i get 500eur cost reduction by not needing the gas hob and fitting/pipes etc, so it's about a 1500eur cost, which get you a hob and heating. IMO it's cheaper or about the same as gas plus eberspacher.

We have a Wallas Duo with the heater lid and have cooked on it for months (2 meals / day) and regularly used the heater in thermostat mode.
I think it is great, obviously there is a slight delay over a gas burner in reaching cooking temperature but hopefully most people are able to plan that in when cooking a meal.
Typically we’ve parked up and put the Wallas on, by the time the roof is popped up, front seats swiveled and screen blinds installed it’s ready to take a pan or kettle.
No condensation from gas combustion, no explosion risk and greatly reduced fire risk. No need for gas system installation / certification or concerns about gas filling stations. I’d still run the CO2 detector with the doors closed just in case there was an exhaust leak.
The fan heater quickly warms the van, there is a steady ‘pulse’ from the fuel pump but nothing that will keep a person awake. Outside the exhaust is ‘clean’ and there is a very slight fan noise. I’ve been in some tight camping spots but never had complaints from the neighbours.
I have found that thermostat does tend to run the heating on the warm side so it’s always set to minimum, preferably with the roof popped for added ventilation.
At around 5 deg outside with roof popped it’s a perfect temperature with two persons in the lower bed at minimum thermostat setting, fuel consumption is negligible.
The under counter area around the burner and insulated exhaust hose are not excessively hot so no concerns with adjacent equipment.
The only fault I’ve had is the fan hood screws rattling loose, just need to be tighter than they are when delivered from new.
Highly recommended.

Back