Is 9c (48f) to 19c (66f) in an hour bad/good/medium for van heating efficiency?

QPiepelr65

Ford Transit Connect
How long does it take yours from what to what, preferably celcius, in comparison.

I only used heating when in apartments for a couple of days a year if at all so do not really have a reference.

I asked because yesterday I snapped up a used webasto diesel stove for £500. I am well aware this isnt designed specifically for heating but I found this video which tested its heating capability and gave the results given in the title.

I have paid but now I am wondering was it a good idea since I really want one of these for heating capability as well as cooking.

The benefit is the price and it is a big name brand unlike the chinese knockoffs but I wonder if it is worth it if I have compromised on heating efficiency.

It seems that normal diesel heaters are too efficient from what people say and since it is a tiny van it probably will heat in less time than stated above. I just wonder if I will be wasting money due to lack of efficiency over time. I suppose even if less efficient I have paid 1/3 of the price of new ones which somewhat offsets but that offset would be nullified over time.

Price wise it would be trivial to buy a cheap chinese diesel heater if this didnt work, though I expect it will, but space wise I am pretty chocker block once this is added in not to mention having to make yet another hole in the floor.

So many big decisions to make when van building often loads at once too!

In the comments here it is mentioned they are both in fact the same device just with wallas charging an arm and a leg for the "hood" which just seems like a cover and a fan. If so that means it would be simple to make a diy equivalent!

Last edited:
Looking at them both here and here they do indeed look the same devices. Seems the diesel hob scene is very incestuous! Not just the chinese knockoffs up to that trick.

Theres no air circulation with the hob. PMSL when he leans on the hob after boiling the kettle. Almost as funny as Del Boy when he falls through the hatch. :think smile bounce:

Last edited:
I had buyers remorse and going to cancel it now. I was enamored by the price and that it is a "big name brand", also with FOMO that it would probably be snapped up quick, but then I got thinking it is bigger than I really want as I have managed fine without a second stove and the extra space it will take up (56cm vs 35cm for a single) seems not worth it with the very limited space in my van. I was also thinking it will have no warranty and I had not checked how many years it had been used for. Just made an impulse buy really based on price and brand name.

What do you think would be better... to get one of the "knockoff" espar/jp/thermotechnicas single hob for £1100 or a wallas 800dsl single burner for £1138 with no lid for and adhoc one myself? The wallas single burner with hood costs £1872 which means it costs £734 just for a bit of metal and a fan which seems like daylight robbery.

Espar and co. knockoffs = everything already made but perhaps lower build quality of parts.
Wallas real mccoy but no hood and make one myself for probably less than £100, more like £50.

Thoughts?

Back