Diesel Hob

VanBlanc

Life is a Beach so we are back...
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Anyone got experience of these?

Seems like Wallas and Webasto are the only ones. I like the look of the Wallas XC Duo with the heater but I might be a bit tight on back to front dim.

Mrs VB might object to not having separate rings - how does this work?

I would want the exhaust under the van and not through the side.

As I see it they are pricy but the big benefits are a) a single install for hob and heater and b) not having to carry gas around and worry about it running out.

I was told that they stay hotter for longer once you've turned off

I have a Wallas XC Duo sitting in my front room,still deciding which furniture set up to have.
I looked into all the pros and cons and think its a great bit of kit.
I spoke to a few people who have them fitted and they all love them.
We can have a chat about them when we meet up at Busfest!

There is little I can find about them. The cons seem to be a) length of time they take to heat up b) one hot surface means its difficult to cook at different temps, i.e. one boiling another simmering and c) heater does not heat tootsies.

I have to fit the appliances into cabinets that may not be any more than 335mm back to front but they will probably be from 3mm aluminium composite. The top will have an overhang of say 20mm from and possibly back into the widow reveal. So as you see I am tight on space!

The pros seem good if we can make it work a) one fuel so no worrying about gas bottles b) safer, no gas safe and no gas cert required b) the cost is better than fitting an Erbesbacher under the floor and a gas hob and its paraphernalia.

They will be at Busfest so I will take a look.

Last edited:
After Busfest I had almost decided on the Wallas XC Duo unit but there is a problem. The depth of our worktop means that while it will fit the lid may not open properly as it slopes back slightly when open and will bang on the window & blinds. There is another problem - Mrs VB doesn't like the lid taking up worktop space :rolleyes:

So looking around I have realised that we could simply use the basic version of the same thing from their marine range without the blower lid. Webasto use that unit but then put it in a large tin box which is simply too big. Anyhow when boaties install the basic one they don't use a tin box - just drop it in the furniture.

So then I ask myself well how often do we actually use the heater - the one in our current van might have been use perhaps 6 times in 3 years and even then only once on a winter trip. In which case is there another solution?

I am thinking a 12V (clip on) fan to blow across the hob and so spread its heat around - not unlike the lid - and a small 230V 2Kw fan heater for when we are on hook up. In all several hundred pounds cheaper and less to do wrong.

Whadaya reckon?

After Busfest I had almost decided on the Wallas XC Duo unit but there is a problem. The depth of our worktop means that while it will fit the lid may not open properly as it slopes back slightly when open and will bang on the window & blinds. There is another problem - Mrs VB doesn't like the lid taking up worktop space :rolleyes:

So looking around I have realised that we could simply use the basic version of the same thing from their marine range without the blower lid. Webasto use that unit but then put it in a large tin box which is simply too big. Anyhow when boaties install the basic one they don't use a tin box - just drop it in the furniture.

So then I ask myself well how often do we actually use the heater - the one in our current van might have been use perhaps 6 times in 3 years and even then only once on a winter trip. In which case is there another solution?

I am thinking a 12V (clip on) fan to blow across the hob and so spread its heat around - not unlike the lid - and a small 230V 2Kw fan heater for when we are on hook up. In all several hundred pounds cheaper and less to do wrong.

Whadaya reckon?
sounds good to me! What did you do in the end...and are you happy with it? Am setting the final specs for my conversion and this looks really interesting to me...

thanks

I always liked the idea of those, tthought it was a neat solution. First saw it when I was considering a conversion from a Scottish company, whose name escapes me now, who were offering it as an option

Edit: It's just come to me, Jerba

Lack of gas is good but how much cooking do you intend doing in the van? For us it's good to boil water for rice, etc. but everything else is cooked outside.

Gas hob (plus external gas point) and Eberspacher (or similar) for heating all the way!

Lack of gas is good but how much cooking do you intend doing in the van? For us it's good to boil water for rice, etc. but everything else is cooked outside.

Gas hob (plus external gas point) and Eberspacher (or similar) for heating all the way!
Yeah I agree, I've got a gas hob and Eberspacher, though I do most the cooking I do inside

Yeah I agree, I've got a gas hob and Eberspacher, though I do most the cooking I do inside
the space saving and the single fuel concept really appeals to me. I guess I'm really looking to see if somebody has installed one and has ended up regretting it...? anybody?

thanks

the space saving and the single fuel concept really appeals to me. I guess I'm really looking to see if somebody has installed one and has ended up regretting it...? anybody?

thanks
Going through exactly the same dilema at the minute, people who have them love them and all negatives are based on opinion rather than experience. Only negative I have heard was from a convertor who went off grid for a few days and his leisure battery drained so the Wallas wouldn't start up but the solution is a solar panel. Our convertor is happy to fit whatever we want and have fitted a few Wallas XC duos which the customers have all loved, only downside is warm up time that I can think of. Even with solar panel included it is cheaper than either all gas or gas hob/diesel heating in the quotes we have. My wife and I are on opposite sides at the minute and going round in circles,
AAAAArrrghh

Going through exactly the same dilema at the minute, people who have them love them and all negatives are based on opinion rather than experience. Only negative I have heard was from a convertor who went off grid for a few days and his leisure battery drained so the Wallas wouldn't start up but the solution is a solar panel. Our convertor is happy to fit whatever we want and have fitted a few Wallas XC duos which the customers have all loved, only downside is warm up time that I can think of. Even with solar panel included it is cheaper than either all gas or gas hob/diesel heating in the quotes we have. My wife and I are on opposite sides at the minute and going round in circles,
AAAAArrrghh
I know the feeling! ;) Yes, I've read the power could be a concern but I'm also going to solar panel route anyway just to make sure I can keep the fridge running indefinitely (hopefully). I'm certainly still in favour of the XC Duo option so far...

AAAAArrrghh
so where are you up to on the thought process? what were the final factors for going in either direction?

so where are you up to on the thought process? what were the final factors for going in either direction?

Still going round in circles, we have until Christmas to decide. Latest thought was how much diesel the tank needs in it for the hob to operate as the feed pipe doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the tank and if at the end of a long journey would I want to be filling up? Still can't get away from the amount of extra storage space it would free up though.

You?

Still going round in circles, we have until Christmas to decide. Latest thought was how much diesel the tank needs in it for the hob to operate as the feed pipe doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the tank and if at the end of a long journey would I want to be filling up? Still can't get away from the amount of extra storage space it would free up though.

You?
That's no different from an Eberspacher heater - the take off pipe deliberately doesn't go to the bottom of the tank so you still have plenty in reserve to drive off - filling up towards the end of a journey is a small price to pay to keep warm and know you have sufficient to cook with :) If freeing up storage is your main consideration why not just go for an underslung gas tank?

You?
I went for an 80 liter tank anyway, van arrives in 6 weeks or so, the build is planned for weeks 4-7 in '18. Main positives for me, space, no flame and moisture, no gas checks needed, less overall weight. possible downsides, needs electric (fitting solar panel, size to be decided), slower initial cook time and heat arrives at mid-height rather than floor. Am still on the path to a Wallas... ;-)

That's no different from an Eberspacher heater - the take off pipe deliberately doesn't go to the bottom of the tank so you still have plenty in reserve to drive off - filling up towards the end of a journey is a small price to pay to keep warm and know you have sufficient to cook with :) If freeing up storage is your main consideration why not just go for an underslung gas tank?
Thanks, the 2 options we are considering are under slung tank with gas hob and heater or Wallas diesel hob heater. This may end up the result of a coin toss.

I went for an 80 liter tank anyway, van arrives in 6 weeks or so, the build is planned for weeks 4-7 in '18. Main positives for me, space, no flame and moisture, no gas checks needed, less overall weight. possible downsides, needs electric (fitting solar panel, size to be decided), slower initial cook time and heat arrives at mid-height rather than floor. Am still on the path to a Wallas... ;-)

Same here :) but SWMBO is on the other side :(. Our skyline roof will come with a solar panel (not sure about size but it is on their website). 80l tank was on our list but the van was the showroom model so no choice :(

Did any of you guys fit one of these in the end? If so what are your thoughts? I’m just having the same debate. Also, is it possible to use the Wallas as a heater while on the move in the same way as a normal deisel heater?

I watched this over the weekend, he's going to do a follow up on it too to report back how it works

Must admit, the exhaust looks fugly

Back