Diesel hob/heater produces noticeable sweet smell when running however the CO monitor does not go off...

QPiepelr65

Ford Transit Connect
I finally got one and have installed it successfully.

I have tested the co2 monitor with the test button and it beeps as expected. I also inadvertently found out that it works in a real situation when I braked a couple of times when driving and some exhaust fumes must have come in through my floor vent. It seemed very sensitive in that case.

I did test it yesterday by going outside and placing it right up to the exhaust pipe exit and it didn't go off however it was really windy for the past few days so may have affected the test.

When running the hob/heater though I have waved the monitor all round the exhaust and it doesn't go off. It is also sat right by it and still not going off.

I have also used exhaust paste around the outlet at the device and the exit and intake pipes.

Why then is there is sweetish smell when it runs? It is very distinct and is flowing out from the heat source when the fan is blowing the air out. I thought it might be the ceramic hob but I am not sure. I will be using this every day so want to be absolutely sure this cancer box is not leaking into my living space. The smell is rather disconcerting and I already found several quality control issues when installing so how can we be sure these chinese combustion engines are not going to kill us in a couple of years? I mean I doubt they have strict regulations like would be the case if made in the UK and the stakes are rather high as to ensure it is not going to kill you.

Not being a regular driver for 20 years and not having had a diesel vehicle before I do not know if that smell it burning diesel or not. The CO monitor doesn't go off but I wonder if somehow it doesn't pick it up or it is indeed just a harmless new smell burning off. Don't know how to know with confidence currently.

As above, my guess would be because its new. Same with a new oven or toaster for example

Sweet smell is defo not CO - as above, CO is completely odourless.

Run it on max for a few hours and leave a door open.

Most ovens / hobs etc. say to run them hot when new to burn off any residue.

Reactions: Bav
Back