VW closes T6.1 order book today (3/3/23) !!!! - T7 Next? or T8?

I believe VW will be making their own campervan (the California), based on the Multivan T7 - perhaps this a more suitable base vehicle?

Looking at the new Transporter from a campervan conversion viewpoint, as it is based on the Ford T-Custom body, it will presumably have the same advantages and challenges.
First, although I detest electronic handbrakes, and won't personally ever buy a car (or van) with one, there's no doubt that swivelling the front seats should be considerably easier in conversions with this feature.
I have a new Caddy (Transit Connect) on loan at the moment.
At 700 miles on the clock the holding brake stopped working and keeps flashing up to visit workshop.
It also locks me out and I have to use the key to the passenger door to gain access and open the rear doors from inside.
The electric parking brake button got stuck in the down position by a bit of grit, and it took quite a while to prize it back up in the dark. The vehicle was going nowhere until it was freed.
The DAB radio is totally useless on anything other than BBC radio and keeps losing signal.
The automatic gearbox is a dog, and it screams down hills as well as up in low gears.

I had 3 new Caddys (07, 11 and 2015) and they were great, reliable vans.
This 73 plate Ford is basically horrible, and if the Transporter is using the same components, I'm just glad I have a 6.1 incoming.
Safe to say it will be the last VW I will be buying.

Got an email yesterday to inform me my 6.1 is being built at the end of this month for a March 24 plate collection.
It was ordered 2 months after the order book was closed when each dealer was allocated a handful of pre specced builds. The like for like to replace my T6 was literally a choice of 3 colours.
I did enquire about the new model, and was told there will be no announcement until every outstanding 6,1 order has been built.
With this in mind, and mine to be one of the very last to be made, I predict the order books to be opened in April?

Reactions: CAB
Caddy is a Caddy, not a Transit Connect, it’s the other way round on this latest model.

Caddy is a Caddy, not a Transit Connect, it’s the other way round on this latest model.
You believe the smoke and mirror blurb if you like.
They can call the engine an Eco Blue, but it can't mask the fact it is an Eco Boost with I suspect a wet belt.
No DSG in the loan Caddy I have, but the same setup as a mates Transit Auto.
Everything touchscreen right down to the heater controls which just means you lose everything if the display goes.
I say that because the Infotainment unit went on my T6.

This new Caddy shares no DNA whatsoever with the 3 I owned ... right down to the key which is Ford.

Ok bud, the facts are that the current Transit Connect is a Ford and due for replacement under the VW partnership. The current Tourneo Connect is a VW Caddy, nothing Ford as far as engineering and manufacturing goes.

If you think the new Caddy you’ve driven is a Ford then you’re wrong, but don’t let the facts get in the way of your rant.

The new/Current Caddy is on the VW MQB platform.
The brand new Transit connect is built on the VW MQB platform and is a VW at heart in a Ford frock.

Last edited:
That side window doesn't look very automotive :( and that vehicle doesn't look very VW. :cry:

We’ve ordered our first batch of Transit custom DCIVs, which will be with us in the summer

We have a 170 Auto panel van arriving with us shortly.

I’ll get my coat……. ;-)

Perhaps we should merge this forum with the equivalent Transit one? :uh run:
Have you ever read or seen the equivalent Transit Custom one.... @Bav if so better man than me! What I have seen is pretty damn poor!

Reactions: CAB
I'll be moving to the Transit. Hopefully put my order in for the full electric sport ASAP as order books open shortly.
The Transit will be cheaper. 19" optional wheels cost £720 from Ford on the sport model. The same upgrade wheels are €2700 on the german configuration. Crazy price difference.
Plus I think the Transit looks better but not much in it. The 282bhp model would sway me but I doubt will see the electeic Transporter until 2025/26. I need a new van ASAP. My T6 has to go.

Back