VW closes T6.1 order book today (3/3/23) !!!! - T7 Next? or T8?

I’m thinking/hoping/praying that Ford build the body only, to a VW standard, and then it’s VWs own engine and drivetrain and interiors etc.
I’m sure whatever happens it will be a complete shock to the system as all models are, but hopefully(again) it is a step forward in every way.

VW have put lots of time and effort into the IDBuzz with more models and drivetrains coming soon , so maybe that’s their concentration moving forward ??

Let’s see what happens in the future with regards to the new Transporter, hybrid engines and their collaboration with Ford

This is all of course my own personal opinion - I have heard nothing more on these new models than you have.

We, BMVS, will of course embrace the new model when it happens and work our own angle on it.

Speaking of Platform Sharing. I see the Ford Tourneo Connect and Caddy Maxi Life share the engine bits (they are marked VW in any case), Not sure about the gearbox but imagine its VW DSG too. Get the impression VW have designed the smaller one and share with Ford.

So on balance Ford would do the grunt work with the Transporter/Transit Cusom clone and share with VW?

Some small clues here that VW designed the engine and drivetrain in this instance All-new Tourneo Connect and Ford-Volkswagen Alliance Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Last edited:
I haven’t seen anything official that they are definitely sharing the medium sized van platform, I know they are sharing some stuff but is it actually going to be every model or just a few ??

I had a new transit sport back in 2014 . It was a very good design and a great van but the engine and gear ratios let it down . I think the new engine is better but never driven one .
I would look at the electric version when available as this does away with the bad stuff.I have been and enquired about the buzz cargo and given a possible build date end of July THIS YEAR but think it is still over priced so still looking.

I don’t know what parts the new VW/Ford are sharing, but hopefully the only thing they share is the body because everything else on a Transit is crap.

When Ford and Volkswagen announced their Project Cyclone partnership agreement in June 2020, it was stated that Ford would be responsible for developing the platform for both the one-tonne (Transit Custom and Transporter) and two-tonne (Transit and Crafter) models. As Ford and VW will be sharing a common production line at Otosan, I think it’s fair to conclude that as the body, powertrains and systems for the new Transporter vans (and Crafters) will be substantially Ford-engineered, VW-badged vehicles will only differ in badging and trim. That said, VW-badged vans will probably incorporate dedicated firmware/code written by VW.

Personally, I think VW will find it tough to justify premium pricing as they now do. I guess they will differentiate their new vans from Ford vans by offering different packs, trim levels, body colours, etc. and maybe even engine/transmission specifications.

Last edited:
I haven’t seen anything official that they are definitely sharing the medium sized van platform, I know they are sharing some stuff but is it actually going to be every model or just a few ??
When Ford and Volkswagen announced their Project Cyclone partnership agreement in June 2020, it was stated that Ford would be responsible for developing the platform for both the one-tonne (Transit Custom and Transporter) and two-tonne (Transit and Crafter) models. As Ford and VW will be sharing a common production line at Otosan, I think it’s fair to conclude that as the body, powertrains and systems for the new Transporter vans (and Crafters) will be substantially Ford-engineered, VW-badged vehicles will only differ in badging and trim. That said, VW-badged vans will probably incorporate dedicated firmware/code written by VW.

Personally, I think VW will find it tough to justify premium pricing as they now do. I guess they will differentiate their new vans from Ford vans by offering different packs, trim levels, body colours, etc. and maybe even engine/transmission specifications.
I’m thinking/hoping/praying that Ford build the body only, to a VW standard, and then it’s VWs own engine and drivetrain and interiors etc.
I’m sure whatever happens it will be a complete shock to the system as all models are, but hopefully(again) it is a step forward in every way.

VW have put lots of time and effort into the IDBuzz with more models and drivetrains coming soon , so maybe that’s their concentration moving forward ??

Let’s see what happens in the future with regards to the new Transporter, hybrid engines and their collaboration with Ford

This is all of course my own personal opinion - I have heard nothing more on these new models than you have.

We, BMVS, will of course embrace the new model when it happens and work our own angle on it.
I agree with minimum ford input.
My two sisters in America refuse to buy home made cars, tells me something I suppose!
My dealer told me today about the now discontinued t6.1 and how they have stopped taken orders for the the moment on the Amarok (no more vw 4motion) with the ford gearbox/drive chain because they are falling apart.
Articles on the collaboration are about two years old and I’ve no real reason to doubt them but ….
I’ve been told by VW in a email (please don’t poke me in the eye) over the last two months that there will be no ford /vw transporter deal and last week the new t8 will be made in Spain .. maybe revamping the golf facilities
Time will tell I guess.

Any bets for a night at the pub?

I’ve been told by VW in a email (please don’t poke me in the eye) over the last two months that there will be no ford /vw transporter deal and last week the new t8 will be made in Spain .. maybe revamping the golf facilities

As part of the Project Cyclone agreement announced by Ford and Volkswagen in June 2020, the two companies announced that the new one-tonne medium size van (Transit Custom and Transporter) and two-tonne large size van (Transit and Crafter) will be made in Ford Otosan‘s Kocaeli plant in Turkey with Ford being responsible for the development and production.

They also confirmed they would jointly develop a small Caddy-based city delivery van which will be built by Volkswagen. According to the announcement, this Connect/Caddy will be built alongside the Caddy at VW's factory in Poznan, Poland.

Both companies have production facilities in Spain but only Ford is building small commercial vans there currently (the existing Transit Connect) at their plant in Valencia. There seems no evidence that any commercial vehicle (small van, medium van, large van or pick-up) will be built in Spain by either company once the existing Transit Connect ceases production and certainly not the new Transporter T8. It seem that the VW dealer you quote was poorly informed.

Last edited:
That doesn't surprise me - my Mondeo has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned - but I wouldn't buy a Ford to convert as a camper. To me, that's just plain wrong.
If the LWB T6.1 T32 4Motion 204PS DSG that I’ve had on order with a campervan converter since June 2021 doesn’t get built (it’s recently changed from order status 10 to 00 but I’m assured that all existing orders will be fulfilled), I’m seriously thinking of getting a campervan built on a Transit Trail AWD panel van platform instead.

Presumably once deliveries if the new vans start, converters who have previously built campervans on VW T6.1 Transporters/Crafters will face a dilemma of knowing which brand to use as the base vehicles for their campervans. My suspicion is that it’ll just be down to the discounts Ford or VW offer them.

I guess the questions I’m asking are: a) will the VW badge have any real kudos (read premium) on a campervan conversion in future?; and b) is a VW-based campervan likely to have the same residuals as a similarly specced Ford-based campervan?

Last edited:
There’s nothing new in the above and nothing to substantiate the rest of your post about not taking orders for Amarok’s (you mean the all new model that’s yet to be priced, no specs and no release date), or the Ford/VW platform sharing deal being scrapped etc

I’m relaying what I’ve been told pure and simple no agenda but to enjoy this forum . Take it or leave it .. they are not taking orders for the new South African built amaroks in the foreseeable future
Because of ford drive chain problems, I was told this yesterday by my dealer.
Maybe this is the reason it hasn't been priced or released for the first quarter this year as yet , could be a load of rubbish but again just forwarding on what I’ve been told

Back