VTA: The Future of Hilo Sport Roof

I had convinced myself that I could justify sending the cost (based on the Hilo) quote above - but I don’t see why there as been such a mark up to the horizon price - especially when at the moment it is the same product as far as I am aware!
Have a serious look at Vanmax. Not sure how lit the new cartridge style one is but it won’t be anywhere near that. Didn’t @seewhy pay about £5k including all the remedial work and removal of the old roof?
Where they get those prices from god knows.
When I got my Vanmax the price included scenic canvas in your choice of colour and the colour coded roof was £350 extra.
I provided my own (Omtec OE) roof bars and was charged £40 for them to be fitted, which is 6 bolts.
In that quote they want to charge you £450 to fit £140 worth of rails/crossbars. Absolute rip off pricing.

@kmoll I think we all find ourselves in "Go Compare" situations but I'm going to say its apples and pears. I'm not criticising or condoning the pricing - your choice of roof needs to suit your own situation and how long you're likely to keep the van. In another (say) 3 years will you look back at not spending the seemingly extortionate price it was and have lived with a van you regret? It's easy for me to speak from the far end of a purchase when folk are saving up for something seemingly moving out of reach (sounds like the housing market!) but it's a simple choice really, although it feel agonising at the time - if you can afford it, do it; if you can't compromise anywhere else, look for a cheaper roof.

Price wasn't the main factor for us. My main regret is choosing the HiLo Surf roof because it suited our needs in theory (lower profile, maximised internal headroom during travel, simple [we'd cut our old Reimo canvas on the scissor hinge], well respected manufacturer [at the time], affordable - pretty much in that order), but hadn't been fully developed before release. Obvious now. We weren't to know that the company would also turn out to be less than honourable in its dealings with customers.

I've been up-front about this thread - my issue is only with ethics of Horizon Poptops / VTA doing business with the company that chose to put me in debt and required me to spend money on solicitors - it's not at the top of everyone's criteria. Had they, for example, bought out a going concern, that would be very different (and I'd have had recourse for my faulty roof). So, if that's not important (or my information proves to be incorrect), then leave Horizon in your list and compare what it will give you against the other options on the market - all of them have risks when they are new products (which to be fair, Horizon claim theirs to be), but most companies will stand by you if its their design or manufacturing at fault.

I'm not honestly in a position to recommend the Vanmax unreservedly because I've only had the roof for a short time but so far it has been faultless and the company has been absolutely top notch in manufacture and fitting (including the removal of the broken HiLo Surf). Their customer service has been excellent and personally I really like the look and operation of the roof (my wife can lower it without having to hang off the straps). @Bigsidavies has had his on for a couple of years without problem, so that is helpful / reassuring.

I haven't had a HiLo Sport so I can't make a direct comparison but lots of people "value" the fact that it is almost unseen - so that might be a premium worth paying? Like I say, I'm not giving any view on the actual pricing! Personally, there's more to it than the look and we chose not to have one. But you can see that I'm not the best at choices :)

Your choices might need to be different if you've got a LWB van...

@kmoll I think we all find ourselves in "Go Compare" situations but I'm going to say its apples and pears. I'm not criticising or condoning the pricing - your choice of roof needs to suit your own situation and how long you're likely to keep the van. In another (say) 3 years will you look back at not spending the seemingly extortionate price it was and have lived with a van you regret? It's easy for me to speak from the far end of a purchase when folk are saving up for something seemingly moving out of reach (sounds like the housing market!) but it's a simple choice really, although it feel agonising at the time - if you can afford it, do it; if you can't compromise anywhere else, look for a cheaper roof.

Price wasn't the main factor for us. My main regret is choosing the HiLo Surf roof because it suited our needs in theory (lower profile, maximised internal headroom during travel, simple [we'd cut our old Reimo canvas on the scissor hinge], well respected manufacturer [at the time], affordable - pretty much in that order), but hadn't been fully developed before release. Obvious now. We weren't to know that the company would also turn out to be less than honourable in its dealings with customers.

I've been up-front about this thread - my issue is only with ethics of Horizon Poptops / VTA doing business with the company that chose to put me in debt and required me to spend money on solicitors - it's not at the top of everyone's criteria. Had they, for example, bought out a going concern, that would be very different (and I'd have had recourse for my faulty roof). So, if that's not important (or my information proves to be incorrect), then leave Horizon in your list and compare what it will give you against the other options on the market - all of them have risks when they are new products (which to be fair, Horizon claim theirs to be), but most companies will stand by you if its their design or manufacturing at fault.

I'm not honestly in a position to recommend the Vanmax unreservedly because I've only had the roof for a short time but so far it has been faultless and the company has been absolutely top notch in manufacture and fitting (including the removal of the broken HiLo Surf). Their customer service has been excellent and personally I really like the look and operation of the roof (my wife can lower it without having to hang off the straps). @Bigsidavies has had his on for a couple of years without problem, so that is helpful / reassuring.

I haven't had a HiLo Sport so I can't make a direct comparison but lots of people "value" the fact that it is almost unseen - so that might be a premium worth paying? Like I say, I'm not giving any view on the actual pricing! Personally, there's more to it than the look and we chose not to have one. But you can see that I'm not the best at choices :)

Your choices might need to be different if you've got a LWB van...
Hi seewhy,
It’s good that you got your roof sorted did Vanmax do this work under warranty? Did you get another Hilo fitted? Which one did you get?

Hi seewhy,
It’s good that you got your roof sorted did Vanmax do this work under warranty? Did you get another Hilo fitted? Which one did you get?
Sorry I miss understood the post I thought vanmax where the horizon people but that is visiontech - I will take a look at vanmax

Which roof did you get from them?

Sorry I miss understood the post I thought vanmax where the horizon people but that is visiontech - I will take a look at vanmax

Just found your post about the Vanmax

All the gory details are here - along with pictures of the new roof

Vanmax only do one roof for the T5/T6 and I think it was the roof frame that was redesigned so that the whole thing is assembled and goes on in a one-er - it's very neat. He had to do a lot more work on my van to get my old roof off first, which is why it didn't just 'drop on' in one go. I'd recommend getting in touch with Iain, he's really helpful and definitely knows his stuff. Apparently he came from a coach-building background (horse boxes and the like) and his experience with materials really shows when you talk to him.

@Martin Stockwell
I've not heard anything back from you or VTA about the relationship between Horizon and the Pendleburys (HiLo / All Things Custom / Precision Fabrication etc) and this thread has, understandably, gone cold.

I've seen other threads sprouting up about Horizon, so it would be good to get things clear and we can all move on.

@Bav has been told that VTA / Horizon had bought out HiLo but that's not the same as not buying things from companies run by the Pendleburys and therefore continuing to fill their pockets.

I'm still well over £5,000 down thanks to them, so you might understand why I keep raising this - surely it's in VTA's interests to be transparent. I wonder why the post has disappeared where you were going to ask VTA to review my comments and get back to me? - It's quoted in my post of 1 Nov, but doesn't exist in the thread any more...

Surely this lack of clarity allows rumour to hit social media, which is exactly what they claimed was a bad thing in their original Facebook post...

Hi had the HiLo Sport fitted in March 2021 as while lowering it can be tricky due to the hinges not dropping in sink it has been fine otherwise mostly. I have though started to notice that the front corners are not now down tight to the roof? As though it’s slightly warped maybe? Is this one of the known faults?

photo 18-07-2023, 11 22 42.jpg

photo 18-07-2023, 11 22 54.jpg

photo 18-07-2023, 11 23 06.jpg

Never noticed that myself although I have the two bolts either side which pull the frame down at the sides rather than the ones behind the sun visors that pull the roof skin down in the middle. Are you sure the canvas is all pulled in before the roof comes down all the way?

Never noticed that myself although I have the two bolts either side which pull the frame down at the sides rather than the ones behind the sun visors that pull the roof skin down in the middle. Are you sure the canvas is all pulled in before the roof comes down all the way?
Yep, I’m pretty meticulous in folding in the canvas for fear of damaging it. I’ve only got the two bolts under each sun visor and was wondering if I could fit another on each side further out? Sounds like you have somehow?

Deaky, it sounds like you have the same roof with some modifications. When we went out a couple weeks ago in Yorkshire it pissed it down and on the inside of the canvas there is a red tag on each side. The side that had all the rain got soaking wet and dripped. Now we haven’t been out in much wet weather since we bought it so I don’t know if this will stop with time but seemed odd. Have you had that on yours?

img_1644.jpg

Deaky, it sounds like you have the same roof with some modifications. When we went out a couple weeks ago in Yorkshire it pissed it down and on the inside of the canvas there is a red tag on each side. The side that had all the rain got soaking wet and dripped. Now we haven’t been out in much wet weather since we bought it so I don’t know if this will stop with time but seemed odd. Have you had that on yours?

View attachment 207112
Mine is an early HiLo. I haven't modified the locking bolts, that's how they were originally before the locking bolts were moved behind the visors. You can see the captive nut in the roof frame in the pic attached.

IMG_5983.jpg

I don't have those red tags either but I do know that canvass needs to get wet and swell around any stitching to become waterproof so hopefully you shouldn't have any further issues with your tags.

Reactions: Bav
Mine is an early HiLo. I haven't modified the locking bolts, that's how they were originally before the locking bolts were moved behind the visors. You can see the captive nut in the roof frame in the pic attached.

View attachment 207114

I don't have those red tags either but I do know that canvass needs to get wet and swell around any stitching to become waterproof so hopefully you shouldn't have any further issues with your tags.
Hi deaky, just went outside with management and lifted the roof a bit and went to town on pulling the canvas in tight and re laying the roof and it went down smooth so you were right, it was incompetence on my behalf. I’m so anal about it that I really thought there was no way I could have not pulled it tight but hay ho, it’s down now thank god. Panic over. Yep, I’d read that about the stitching swelling so just have to hope given time it’ll stop doing it.

Tbh even though the company has folded and a lot of people might have issues with warranty due to hinges? Ours (touch wood) has been fine so far and everyone comments on how good it looks. Being so damn low when folded you wouldn’t even know we have one and yet when raised it is higher than everyone’s. Fingers crossed it continues to be fine. We had ours installed by SK Conversions in Kent.

Hi deaky, just went outside with management and lifted the roof a bit and went to town on pulling the canvas in tight and re laying the roof and it went down smooth so you were right, it was incompetence on my behalf. I’m so anal about it that I really thought there was no way I could have not pulled it tight but hay ho, it’s down now thank god. Panic over. Yep, I’d read that about the stitching swelling so just have to hope given time it’ll stop doing it.

Tbh even though the company has folded and a lot of people might have issues with warranty due to hinges? Ours (touch wood) has been fine so far and everyone comments on how good it looks. Being so damn low when folded you wouldn’t even know we have one and yet when raised it is higher than everyone’s. Fingers crossed it continues to be fine. We had ours installed by SK Conversions in Kent.
Glad you're sorted. Before I fitted electric rams, I carried a small block. I put that on the bed board and lowered the roof on to it so it hovered a few cm above closed. I could then make sure the corners of the canvas was pulled in before removing the block and lowering it fully. Before the block I balanced it on my head :cry:

Glad you're sorted. Before I fitted electric rams, I carried a small block. I put that on the bed board and lowered the roof on to it so it hovered a few cm above closed. I could then make sure the corners of the canvas was pulled in before removing the block and lowering it fully. Before the block I balanced it on my head :cry:
Good idea, I’m still balancing it on my head :)

Last edited:
Good idea, I’m still balancing it on my head :)
I find that there's a balancing point quite close to closed, whereby the roof won't rise back up, but won't close either. Problem is it's very finely balanced, so the action of pulling the canvass into position usually causes the roof to move one way or the other. @Deaky's wooden block approach is likely the most effective.

I’ve had mine not quite close properly a couple of times (out of 100’s of up/downs) and it’s always a case of putting it up, rechecking and folding everything again and then it’s fine.

I always make sure the scenic zips are at the front in the middle and then wrapped in a fluffy cloth otherwise the zips rattle on the edge of the aluminium hatch.

Also put some tessa tape around the knobs for the front two screw down bolts as they used to rattle too.

Back