VTA: The Future of Hilo Sport Roof

very exciting.#

for those who dont use FB.

1664211862299.png

++++++++++++++++

VisionTech Automotive have always been at the forefront of using premium products within all of our builds and this was one of the reasons for partnering with HiLo for over 10 years. Their product met all of our high standards we required to produce a quality-built conversion.
It was no secret that HiLo struggled with a large number of installers who were unable to meet the required skills to fit these particular roofs, and as such it was unfortunate that HiLo was left picking up the pieces regarding warranty due to ill-fitting roofs as these installers were unable to solve these issues themselves.
As a manufacturer of the product, HiLo were not setup for such an influx of warranty repairs and unfortunately lead to bad news travelling around social media stating poor customer service without any real detail of why.

VisionTech Automotive have always stood by HiLo and their product and if correctly fitted this premium product is flawless and unmatched even in today’s market offerings of pop-top roofs. VisionTech have never had a problem with a roof that hasn’t been easily resolved or had been down to misuse or lack of maintenance.
HiLo have since made the decision to remove themselves from the UK market as distributors and installers.
With this news in mind, VisionTech are pleased to announce that we have been able to secure the parts from the manufacturer to develop an elevating roof for the UK market. We will be offering training and installation opportunities to selected converters which in turn will offer installation, parts, and warranty for VW Transporters.
VisionTech will use this opportunity and our R&D expertise to improve and upgrade what was an already excellent pop-top. We already have plans to offer the roof with new and improved options as standard.

As part of this new venture, we will be setting up a dedicated Distribution and Training Centre located in Essex.
To have the opportunity to complete your build with the best premium roof available or register interest in becoming an installer, please get in contact via our website or social media to arrange a consultation, knowing you’ll be in safe hands from now and the future.

++++++++++++++++++++

1664211837592.png

1664211901182.png

@Visiontech Automotive

so are you re-launching the HiLo ?

keeping the name?

doing something different?

have HiLo themselves now shut up there operation?

FWIW i was looking to get a LWB HiLo roof myself. ( and hit the get-a-quote button on HiLos website this morning )

Hi, Thanks for your interest.

Ill do my best to answer your questions below :

1.No, we are not Re-Launching the Hilo Roof

2.No, we are not keeping the name

3.Yes, we are doing something different, however retaining the main design elements.

4.Yes Hilo have removed themselves from the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome.

So same roof under new company, new name and new management ?

Any idea yet what the package will be and what if any options there will be?

Ie :
bi-folding bed board.
Comfort bed board.
Panoramic canvas.
Canvas colour options.
Roof colour options.
Internal finish detail.
Internal light options.
Roof rail options.
Internal slide cover options.

I'll ping you an email for a quote.

Eg. T6 LWB.

In light of your new venture, have you considered joining this forum as trade members?

@Pauly is the person to speak too if you wanted more info.

Awesome.

So same roof under new company, new name and new management ?

Any idea yet what the package will be and what if any options there will be?

Ie :
bi-folding bed board.
Comfort bed board.
Panoramic canvas.
Canvas colour options.
Roof colour options.
Internal finish detail.
Internal light options.
Roof rail options.
Internal slide cover options.

I'll ping you an email for a quote.

Eg. T6 LWB.
VTA previously offered an electric version of the Hilo roof that was subsequently withdrawn whilst they worked to improve its design. Hopefully such an improved electric version will be available for the new roof.

Visiontech's electric offering had no synchronisation of the rams and as a consequence the roof would not go up or down evenly. Because of the way the rams lie in the roof gutter you have to assist the roof to start it off. I was very keen to fit their system to mine but fortunately for me they wouldn't sell me the kit.

After my own research and a bit of an expensive punt I fitted rams which are syncronised and keep completely in step with each other on raising and lowering. It works perfectly and is so much easier to lower and fold away the canvas.

There is a link to it operating in my build thread.

That's one helluva build thread @Deaky - kudos to you. :thumbsup:

I appreciate yours is a retro-fit, so you'll still have the original securing bolts at the front of the HiLo, but do you actually need these or are the rams you've fitted strong enough to keep the roof secured when travelling?

That's one helluva build thread @Deaky - kudos to you. :thumbsup:

I appreciate yours is a retro-fit, so you'll still have the original securing bolts at the front of the HiLo, but do you actually need these or are the rams you've fitted strong enough to keep the roof secured when travelling?
Cheers @Bav

I've removed the catch from the front because that is a bit redundant with the rams but you still need the bolts at the front. These pull the front edge of the roof down behind the rubber lip across the top of the screen. I removed my rear bolts but I don't think they are fitted on HiLo's now.

They've kept a single rear bolt (on mine at least...which I collected a couple of weeks ago)

This is great news, I do think the hilo was a good product but I suffered from various problems with it.

Good to hear it will still exist but agree are there ways for existing owners to have theirs sorted should issues arise by using the trained network?

Visiontech's electric offering had no synchronisation of the rams and as a consequence the roof would not go up or down evenly. Because of the way the rams lie in the roof gutter you have to assist the roof to start it off. I was very keen to fit their system to mine but fortunately for me they wouldn't sell me the kit.

After my own research and a bit of an expensive punt I fitted rams which are syncronised and keep completely in step with each other on raising and lowering. It works perfectly and is so much easier to lower and fold away the canvas.

Would it be possible to use a single ram? I know from experience with fish belly gates in rivers that a single ram omits and twisting (torque) issues that can lead to jamming but of course the one ram and the guides need to be beefy enough to operate the mechanism. I don’t have experience of fitting a pop top.

They've kept a single rear bolt (on mine at least...which I collected a couple of weeks ago)
Can I ask @amo1968red, do you use the rear bolt? When I hired a HiLo camper form Jaibow, they said not to bother with the rear bolts (they had 2 on theirs) and throughout the week, I completely ignored their existence.

Also, where is your single rear bolt sited? Is it in the middle (to satisfy my OCD tendencies :rolleyes:) or is it an asymmetric, off-to-one-side arrangement (likely cause me psychological angst:grin bounce:)?

Can I ask @amo1968red, do you use the rear bolt? When I hired a HiLo camper form Jaibow, they said not to bother with the rear bolts (they had 2 on theirs) and throughout the week, I completely ignored their existence.

Also, where is your single rear bolt sited? Is it in the middle (to satisfy my OCD tendencies :rolleyes:) or is it an asymmetric, off-to-one-side arrangement (likely cause me psychological angst:grin bounce:)?
Just remember, if you are going to remove the rear bolts, make sure you fit the rubber bungs in the holes :thumbsup:

I do use it...although I'll be honest and say that I don't think it's actually doing much. It's certainly not pulling the roof tight to the bodywork (unlike the front bolt x2 and central catch, which absolutely do). That said, the roof looks watertight at the rear, it's just that even with the bolt at it's tightest, there's a couple mm of play.

And the bolt is situated in the passenger rear corner, so I'm with you on the OCD...I'd gotten past it until you brought it up <pfft> ;)

Reactions: Bav
I do use it...although I'll be honest and say that I don't think it's actually doing much. It's certainly not pulling the roof tight to the bodywork (unlike the front bolt x2 and central catch, which absolutely do). That said, the roof looks watertight at the rear, it's just that even with the bolt at it's tightest, there's a couple mm of play.

And the bolt is situated in the passenger rear corner, so I'm with you on the OCD...I'd gotten past it until you brought it up <pfft> ;)
Have you got cupboards on the other side or have HiLo removed the bolt entirely?

Back