Hilo Surf Poptop Roof

T6downsouth

T6 Pro
Hi All

Has anyone fitted a Hilo Surf roof? I would love to go for the more expensive Hilo Sports roof but budget will not allow. The pop top bed will be just for the kids so I’m hoping the Surf will do the job and save me a wedge.

Would welcome thoughts and some pictures.

Thanks.

Sorry have not really looked over it close up. Only seen it at a distance.

I spoke to a HiLo fitter at camper mart.

They said that they will soon be fitting more of the Surf roof than the other. For kids I imagine there will be loads of room. It's slightly taller than the more expensive roof when closed.

I spoke to a HiLo fitter at camper mart.

They said that they will soon be fitting more of the Surf roof than the other. For kids I imagine there will be loads of room. It's slightly taller than the more expensive roof when closed.
This my thinking. I would
Love to see the difference between the two close up when the roof is closed.

I'm taking my T6 to Big V Campers in Swindon on 4/3 for it to undergo the chop for a Surf. I'm very new to the forum so don't know if i can add photos but will be picking it up on the 9/3 due to my work commitments. Apparently, Hilo are shipping the roofs ready made so it will only take a day to fit once the companies get to grips with it.

Having just spent 3 months designing and converting the van ourselves it will be amazing to be able to stand up in it! The only issue is having to sort out new fixings for the 60" projector screen that was based on the original fixed roof!

There are photos of the two types on their site - Surf vs Sport - HiLo Roofs. There doesn't seem to be much difference in height as explained above. Copied from their site:
  • Surf sits 35mm above standard VW van roofline vs 15mm of the Sport (still much lower than the typical 60-100mm of other budget/ mid-range roofs)
  • Surf does not incur any seated headroom loss over a standard VW van vs the 48mm in a Sport due to its ‘inboard & down’ frame/ hinge design

Having my surf fitted in 3 weeks, took the gamble as I have not seen one, but must look better than a sky line when closed , and the fitter said there better quality, fingers crossed!

Having my surf fitted in 3 weeks, took the gamble as I have not seen one, but must look better than a sky line when closed , and the fitter said there better quality, fingers crossed!
Good luck. Hope it works out well. I wouldn’t take an individual installers word since they are bound to say that the product they fit is better than all of the others.

Is the surf roof fitted now? What do you think?

Im due to have a HiLo Surf fitted, it was scheduled for mid April, but I believe HiLo have a back log, due to the popularity of it, so it’s May now.

Really good value, I added the Scenic Canvas and Coloured Gel Coat.

Make sure you choose a good fitter though.

Stuart from ViperTech is fitting mine, nice chap, very friendly, with an eye for detail.
I’ve popped in for a coffee on numerous occasions and his work is spot on.

I'm taking my T6 to Big V Campers in Swindon on 4/3 for it to undergo the chop for a Surf. I'm very new to the forum so don't know if i can add photos but will be picking it up on the 9/3 due to my work commitments. Apparently, Hilo are shipping the roofs ready made so it will only take a day to fit once the companies get to grips with it.

Having just spent 3 months designing and converting the van ourselves it will be amazing to be able to stand up in it! The only issue is having to sort out new fixings for the 60" projector screen that was based on the original fixed roof!

There are photos of the two types on their site - Surf vs Sport - HiLo Roofs. There doesn't seem to be much difference in height as explained above. Copied from their site:
  • Surf sits 35mm above standard VW van roofline vs 15mm of the Sport (still much lower than the typical 60-100mm of other budget/ mid-range roofs)
  • Surf does not incur any seated headroom loss over a standard VW van vs the 48mm in a Sport due to its ‘inboard & down’ frame/ hinge design
Did you get in fitted, are you happy with it?

Did you get in fitted, are you happy with it?

I had the roof fitted and all is perfect. We're out this weekend with it so will take a few pics and write more about it when i can really have a look. But first impressions, it's really easy to put up and bring down. When i went to collect the van, from a distance, i thought they hadn't fitted it as it is so slim!

Still happy with the roof @bazzart6forum ??
Anyone else had one?
Any pics at all?

Do we know if this was has passed any sort of certification/safety tests?

Last edited:
I had the roof fitted and all is perfect. We're out this weekend with it so will take a few pics and write more about it when i can really have a look. But first impressions, it's really easy to put up and bring down. When i went to collect the van, from a distance, i thought they hadn't fitted it as it is so slim!
Pics expected obviously

Im due to have a HiLo Surf fitted, it was scheduled for mid April, but I believe HiLo have a back log, due to the popularity of it, so it’s May now.

Really good value, I added the Scenic Canvas and Coloured Gel Coat.

Make sure you choose a good fitter though.

Stuart from ViperTech is fitting mine, nice chap, very friendly, with an eye for detail.
I’ve popped in for a coffee on numerous occasions and his work is spot on.

Hi ya, Has the roof been fitted yet? Where is Stuart based please? we are looking to get the HiLo roof fitted to.

cheers.

I have a T5 Multivan that I’m looking to put a poptop onto. It has the aircon system in the roof and I’ve been quoted £1000 to move it as part of the roof conversion. Problem is they can only move it right to the back of the roof space, and I want it on the sides (like a Cali beach). Has anyone any experience with this?!

Back