Vanshades Vs Swellshades

dave1986

I'm looking for some 1st hand experience of "Vanshades" (blinds with frame surround) vs Swellshades (blinds without the frame surround).

I think I prefer the look of the vanshade with the carperted frame surround, but I really don't like how the frame takes up so much of the window - particularly for the tailgate rear door.

First 3 images show Swellshades. Last 2 show Vanshades.

Has anyone seen or used both to help me decide which to go for?

Swellshades
attach(4).png

attach(3).png

18920585_1913809052166328_5150433557196160364_n.jpg

Vanshades
SmartSelectImage_2018-03-22-22-47-21.png

SmartSelectImage_2018-03-22-22-44-09.png

That Swellshades tailgate blind looks fantastic, I much prefer how it leaves all the glass free. Can't help with the others as I have motorhome style plastic side windows in mine with built in cartridge blinds.

I'm looking for some 1st hand experience of "Vanshades" (blinds with frame surround) vs Swellshades (blinds without the frame surround).

I think I prefer the look of the vanshade with the carperted frame surround, but I really don't like how the frame takes up so much of the window - particularly for the tailgate rear door.

First 3 images show Swellshades. Last 2 show Vanshades.

Has anyone seen or used both to help me decide which to go for?

View attachment 19632 g

View attachment 19633

View attachment 19634

View attachment 19635

View attachment 19637
I have looked at both and I think the quality of the SwellShades is without doubt far superior, you can even have them with an optional fly screen and they can also be installed with a carpeted surround if that is what you prefer. The only downside of them is that the outer face is always white, regardless of the inside colour, because they are essentially solar reflecting blackout blinds; if this doesn’t bother you they are definitely the ones to go for, IMO.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'm going to order the swell shades for the new van. They are a little more expensive but I think I'd rather not lose window size with the frames in the vanshades.

These swell shades look really interesting. Their website is beyond useless though! Any ideas on pricing?

Does the side window opening catch, which can stick out a little, cause the shade to sit further away from the window?
This isn't an issue with non openers.

@Ginstercoastie : Could you please upload some more photos of your Swell Shades blinds? There very few photos available on the website so it would be great to see some more photos - both close-up and distance to help me and others with the decision.

Thanks in advance!

Definitely on my short list. I could do with a touchy feely experience to finalise a decision. Which Evo furniture have you fitted?

Dam I wish I'd seen this before fitting Vanshades, would they still work with VW sliders? Do they have a thermal foil lining like vanshades?

I was quite excited about this post as I'm getting my T6 converted next month and was going with vanshades.
The incorporated flyscreens were what sucked me in to look at swellshades in more detail as being from Scotland I have the midge problem to contend with most of the time.
I've been trying to get some basic information out of swellshades on FB and via their online quote form and have to say they're a bit of a nightmare to deal with.
I've tried to be understanding as I'm assuming they are a a small business and have limited time/people to handle enquiries, but it's getting to the point where they are delaying the conversion so I'm probably going to give them a miss!
Just sharing my experience.

As an aside, does anyone have any experience with "Vwvanblindsrus"
Cheers
Colin

Hi All,

As I have limo tint windows, it was really important I keep as much window area as possible when open, to let in the maximum amount of light. Especially as we're drawing into the darker winter months! So the swellshades > vanshades IMO and for my uses.

I have to say @Finn the T6, that has been the opposite experience for me. David has been prompt with messages and even fitted my shades himself for free (which took ~40mins).

It does seem it is just a one man band, and I think all self employed people can say we can go through tough or busy spells. I know I have. Not trying to detract from you're experience Colin, or excuse the actions of the business owner, but it has been a pleasure to deal with David IMO.

I've added some pictures for reference.

IMG_2145.JPG

IMG_2146.JPG

IMG_2147.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

Hi All,

As I have limo tint windows, it was really important I keep as much window area as possible when open, to let in the maximum amount of light. Especially as we're drawing into the darker winter months! So the swellshades > vanshades IMO and for my uses.

I have to say @Finn the T6, that has been the opposite experience for me. David has been prompt with messages and even fitted my shades himself for free (which took ~40mins).

It does seem it is just a one man band, and I think all self employed people can say we can go through tough or busy spells. I know I have. Not trying to detract from you're experience Colin, or excuse the actions of the business owner, but it has been a pleasure to deal with David IMO.

I've added some pictures for reference.

View attachment 30654

View attachment 30655

View attachment 30656

View attachment 30657

View attachment 30658

View attachment 30659

Hi,
David actually got back to me this morning, apologising for the lack of response (he'd had IT issues)
It's too late for me as it was all very last minute for me. My van is going in for conversion next week and the order had to be placed or I would have messed up the conversion company's timeline/lost my place in the queue as they are really busy.
Seems to be more a case of bad timing with the benefit of hindsight.

Hi,
David actually got back to me this morning, apologising for the lack of response (he'd had IT issues)
It's too late for me as it was all very last minute for me. My van is going in for conversion next week and the order had to be placed or I would have messed up the conversion company's timeline/lost my place in the queue as they are really busy.
Seems to be more a case of bad timing with the benefit of hindsight.
Hope it turns out the way you want, be keen to see some pictures when it's all done!

Had my Swell Shades fitted by David this weekend. Can't recommend enough, quick installation, good quality and nice guy. David sprayed the reverse for me as I was pretty adamant that I wanted both sides to be black.

He even offered me the use of his surfboard as I was going for a surf at his local spot after! I slept in the van that evening and was really pleased with the amount of heat retained.

Back