Vanshades Vs Swellshades

We have pictures from a campsite. We have swellshades (fire-retardant in case that makes a difference) and black-out screens at the front.
The light you can see is from our pop-top. We had all our lights on for this picture.

P1070657.JPG

@Stewby wow that's GREAT! Any photos of how they look inside? What colour did you go for?

We went for Anthracite as that was the colour of our carpeting. Like I said, we got fire-retardant ones and our sliding windows both have the flyscreen option.

Will look for pictures of the interior but I see Martin has put some up as well.
:)

If you ignore the blurriness, I have this one (it's at night time).

20191130_213505.jpg

According to my converter, my swellshades were supplied with one having the screen going down the way and the other having the screen going up the way which is why the two clips are opposite each other rather than the same.
It is a wee bit of an annoyance as I do like things to match.

If you ignore the blurriness, I have this one (it's at night time).

View attachment 60051

According to my converter, my swellshades were supplied with one having the screen going down the way and the other having the screen going up the way which is why the two clips are opposite each other rather than the same.
It is a wee bit of an annoyance as I do like things to match.

It's due to the shape of the window aperture. The widest end has to be where the blinds gather or it would damage the blinds when folded (they would be forced into to small a space).

Only way around this whilst keeping full light blocking is to artificially reduce / straighten the aperture using a surround a la vanshades approach.

Swings and roundabouts.

For me, I prefer the maximum window aperture over the symmetry but for other, it'll be the other way around.

It's due to the shape of the window aperture. The widest end has to be where the blinds gather or it would damage the blinds when folded (they would be forced into to small a space).

Only way around this whilst keeping full light blocking is to artificially reduce / straighten the aperture using a surround a la vanshades approach.

Swings and roundabouts.

For me, I prefer the maximum window aperture over the symmetry but for other, it'll be the other way around.

Hahahaha, I am so thick. I didn't even think of that Ann3x. Of course there would be a normal explanation. I honestly thought that it was a mistake but you're right it gives us more light which I would much rather have.
:)

Hmm mine are both the same way up,can't see how you gain more light from one being upside down myself

Yes i understand all that @Ann3x but @Stewby has the surround blinds the same as mine fitted so there is no reason for one to open downwards and one to open upwards

Yes i understand all that @Ann3x but @Stewby has the surround blinds the same as mine fitted so there is no reason for one to open downwards and one to open upwards
With surrounds it makes no difference. Post wasnt just for you but for others too as this has been asked multiple times across a few threads.

I was quite excited about this post as I'm getting my T6 converted next month and was going with vanshades.
The incorporated flyscreens were what sucked me in to look at swellshades in more detail as being from Scotland I have the midge problem to contend with most of the time.
I've been trying to get some basic information out of swellshades on FB and via their online quote form and have to say they're a bit of a nightmare to deal with.
I've tried to be understanding as I'm assuming they are a a small business and have limited time/people to handle enquiries, but it's getting to the point where they are delaying the conversion so I'm probably going to give them a miss!
Just sharing my experience.

As an aside, does anyone have any experience with "Vwvanblindsrus"
Cheers
Colin
Well here we are , July 2020 and I'm having exactly the same problems , looks like I may have to use van shades instead. Not what I wanted though.

Hi Colin
Please go to our brand new website. www.vanshades.co.uk where can see details about our new Duo Window Pod which has a built in flyscreen to combat the beasties.
alternatively, please call our offices on 01226 872330 where you can speak to a dedicated member of our team.
Regards Vanshades

AEADC509-34AB-4BD6-B41D-B39728C12BD6.jpeg

The mesh on standard UK fly screens will not keep out midges which are significantly smaller than mosquitoes etc. If your primary concern is midges you’ll need midge proof netting. Various online sources for DIY approach. I have purpose made midge screens from Jerba (East Lothian) which do the trick nicely and can be easily slotted into the open side windows with swell shades in place.

View attachment 60041 View attachment 60043

View attachment 60047

Where did you get the surrounds from in this picture please? Any reason why they are a different style for the slider and rear window? Thanks

@Skyliner33 ,he sells the surround blinds for the sliders and the tailgate but im not sure they would fit the rear quarters or even if he makes them for those windows. They have an incorporated fly screen which obviously wouldnt be required on a non opening window. I wanted the surround blinds for the sliders because,as said,the have the fly screens and also,the surrounds cover some of the bare metal that is left showing after lining the sliders,hope this helps

Back