Factory sliding windows - trim options?

seth

I have stripped out a T5.1 Caravelle to convert. It has factory fitted sliding windows which I will keep (having solved the leaking :) ). They are of course designed to be used with all the plastic trim from the factory, so tops/bottom rails for the sliding mechanism stick out a bit, and aren't exactly tidy without. There isn't a way to make use of the old trim to create something. They aren't like aftermarket windows, which seem to be designed to be neat without additional chunks of plastic, or low profile enough inside to just ignore.

I can't find any threads or pictures or products where anyone has done something to improve on this.

I will be fitting the usual sort of blackout curtains (there is just about space at the top for the rail). I'm aware of the 'pods' with blinds from Vanshades, but that's not at all what I want. First thoughts are to make some kind of insert for above and below the window to tidy it up, from wood or foam or maybe bent aluminium sheet. I expect to carpet line the exposed metal, with rails for the curtains fitted on top.

Has anyone with factory sliding windows got a way to trim them or tidy up which they can share ... links or pics?

Does a Kombi with factory sliders have trim which could be used? I've not seen inside one but assume that Kombi's don't have the big plastic surrounds like a Caravelle or California. Do they have an additional bit of plastic which tidies up the top and bottom parts of the frame? I'd assume that it's the same window and unlikely to left totally untrimmed. Maybe there's a VW part I can get?

Even a picture of the inside of the side of a Kombi with factory sliding windows might help if it shows how they are finished, especially above and below. Again, my googling so far hasn't come up with pics where I can see how it's done, and I don't know anyone with a Kombi I can sneak a look inside!

Thanks!

I now have aftermarket sliders in my Kombi, but there was no finish around the windows with the factory ones and I haven't added any.

Some add trim edging to the lip around the inside of the window, but with it being a factory Kombi the edges were smooth finished and I didn't bother.

I now have aftermarket sliders in my Kombi, but there was no finish around the windows with the factory ones and I haven't added any.

Some add trim edging to the lip around the inside of the window, but with it being a factory Kombi the edges were smooth finished and I didn't bother.
Thanks! I'm not sure I was as clear as I could have been, but I've got a picture now. I'm referring to the plastic 'window ledge' at the bottom which has the grooves for the glass to slide in and leaks to run out of, and the corresponding bit at the top. The actual lip of metal on the inside of the window ... tricky to get at due to the window itself, but it should be possible to tuck carpet into the hairsbreadth gap between metal and glass, where on a aftermarket window you'd have put edging strip. But the chunky bits I'm refering to are normall encase in the big plastic trim in the Caravelle etc. The end of the side are nicely finished, and it looks as though you could have a strip about 4cm deep which clipped to the bottom (top) to give a neat, if not exactly refined finish.

In this side view you can see the tabs where the narrow trim around the window blind would clip: I'm wondering what this looks like in a Kombi sliding window, which I'm *assuming* to be the same part, and imagining that it might have a lower cap that I could get from TPS if I knew a part name or number? Or maybe someone has come up with a sensible alternative way to tidy it up.

window ledge.jpg

So youve fixed the leaky side windows? Tell us more.!!!!!!
Don't know if that design can be 'fixed', but they now show no signs of water going where it shouldn't despite months of being parked in an exposed position in mostly heavy rain! It was a matter of using some wire to get a bit of 12 years gunk out of the drain holes, having 1st removed the sliding window units (and patching the corrosion on one of them). This gave enough space to dribble some white spirits in (and then some petrol when I ran out) and loosen some more. Then I used a can of compressed air, like they use for cleaning inside laptops, with the thin straw on the nozzle allowing me to poke it deep inside and blast petrolly gunk around (back splash protection advised) and eventually out of the 2 holes down on the bodywork. It now drains really nicely through both sets of channels on both sides. I occasionally open the windows to check, and sometimes there's enough sitting in the channel to be worth wiping, after torrential rain and gale force winds, but no sign of it coming in. When I got the van it was pretty bad, ciming inside, and had destroyed one of the springs for the window blind by making it rust then snap.

So I'll just give it a flush once a year maybe, and assume it's designed to work like this.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm not sure I was as clear as I could have been, but I've got a picture now. I'm referring to the plastic 'window ledge' at the bottom which has the grooves for the glass to slide in and leaks to run out of, and the corresponding bit at the top. The actual lip of metal on the inside of the window ... tricky to get at due to the window itself, but it should be possible to tuck carpet into the hairsbreadth gap between metal and glass, where on a aftermarket window you'd have put edging strip. But the chunky bits I'm refering to are normall encase in the big plastic trim in the Caravelle etc. The end of the side are nicely finished, and it looks as though you could have a strip about 4cm deep which clipped to the bottom (top) to give a neat, if not exactly refined finish.

In this side view you can see the tabs where the narrow trim around the window blind would clip: I'm wondering what this looks like in a Kombi sliding window, which I'm *assuming* to be the same part, and imagining that it might have a lower cap that I could get from TPS if I knew a part name or number? Or maybe someone has come up with a sensible alternative way to tidy it up.

View attachment 186760
From your image it looks like you're missing the lower part of that black plastic rail that the window slides along. My Kombi had a lower part that covered that.

Back