V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read it actually :) but so much debate and it’s difficult to extract a conclusion.

Here’s what I think I learned.

1) DVLA classification as a “motor caravan” would mean that usual speed limits apply (good) but as a counter to that, potentially punitive road tax would also apply when the van/conversion is over £40k (not good). Although I subsequently read that this road tax increase (applying the luxury car tax effectively) had been shelved for “motor caravans” and it was back to a flat rate like any other van (good). Not sure on the latter point, I read conflicting things on that.

2) Even if classified as a panel van by DVLA, and supposedly limited to lower speed limits, the letter of the law in any speeding fine would take precedence. That would in fact allow me to legitimately drive at the usual speed limits with a fully converted campervan, irrespective of the DVLA classification. But I may have to argue that with the police or in court.

3) Being classified as a “motor caravan” usually leads to lower insurance than a panel van.

4) Most appear now to be getting reclassified as “van with windows”. Lower road tax, normal speed limits. No real issues.

I‘m sure I have some of this right and some of it wrong. Happy to be educated.
1, partially correct , even if re-classified as a motor Caravan, the van retains its original taxation class N1, you pay the road tax of the base vehicle.
2, correct
3, correct
4, correct (hence the previous statements “there isn’t an issue)

3 out of 4, 75%, you’ve passed.

All the official documentation is listed & quoted in the thread.

But..that would take ages!!!
It wouldn’t if people read it instead of being lazy & stopped posting the same repetitive questions. The thread would be a dozen posts long & definitive :whistle:

1, partially correct , even if re-classified as a motor Caravan, the van retains its original taxation class N1, you pay the road tax of the base vehicle.
2, correct
3, correct

I'll take that pass, thanks although 75% is harsh, #1 was partially correct so I reckon I crept over 80% for an A :) The next thing I'm going to investigate is what impact DVLA classification has on ferry bookings to France, French toll charges (we have a tag) etc. I'm pretty sure this is also irrelevant as whatever the DVLA call it I will refer to it as a camper van not a commercial van when booking etc.

I've also posed the question on all of this to the converter to see how they usually handle it for customer buying new vans/conversions from them.

2, correct
3, correct

It wouldn’t if people read it instead of being lazy & stopped posting the same repetitive questions. The thread would be a dozen posts long & definitive :whistle:
I’d give 85% and didn’t you notice my tongue firmly wedged in my cheek when I said it would takes ages!

I have read it actually :) but so much debate and it’s difficult to extract a conclusion.

Here’s what I think I learned.

1) DVLA classification as a “motor caravan” would mean that usual speed limits apply (good) but as a counter to that, potentially punitive road tax would also apply when the van/conversion is over £40k (not good). Although I subsequently read that this road tax increase (applying the luxury car tax effectively) had been shelved for “motor caravans” and it was back to a flat rate like any other van (good). Not sure on the latter point, I read conflicting things on that.

2) Even if classified as a panel van by DVLA, and supposedly limited to lower speed limits, the letter of the law in any speeding fine would take precedence. That would in fact allow me to legitimately drive at the usual speed limits with a fully converted campervan, irrespective of the DVLA classification. But I may have to argue that with the police or in court.

3) Being classified as a “motor caravan” usually leads to lower insurance than a panel van.

4) Most appear now to be getting reclassified as “van with windows”. Lower road tax, normal speed limits. No real issues.

I‘m sure I have some of this right and some of it wrong. Happy to be educated.

This should literally be the only post anyone needs to read on this. Nicely summarised!

Interbear, it would be interesting to hear how you get on with it and whether they re-register it for you or not. Have you asked them yet?

Yes - I'm buying everything new from them, they confirmed that I will be the first registered, it will be registered as a "motor caravan" and the road tax will be £280 based on it being a less than 3,500KG private light goods vehicle. So - no issues re tax (the plan to apply luxury car and CO2 based road tax to camper vans and motor homes was shelved as from April 2021), no issues re speed limits and no issues re insurance.

Yes - I'm buying everything new from them, they confirmed that I will be the first registered, it will be registered as a "motor caravan" and the road tax will be £280 based on it being a less than 3,500KG private light goods vehicle. So - no issues re tax (the plan to apply luxury car and CO2 based road tax to camper vans and motor homes was shelved as from April 2021), no issues re speed limits and no issues re insurance.
I'll have to email them and see how it was accomplished and get the relevant info from them to get mine changed, hopefully.

I'll have to email them and see how it was accomplished and get the relevant info from them to get mine changed, hopefully.

Yeah, it’ll be interesting to hear how they can register a T6 with a pop-top as a Motor Caravan whilst us mere mortals can’t.

Yeah, it’ll be interesting to hear how they can register a T6 with a pop-top as a Motor Caravan whilst us mere mortals can’t.
I think the key thing there is “first registered”. When I was talking with Westfalia before changing my van, they said they’d had no problems registering their vans as motor caravans. It’s those converting existing vans and then trying to change their registered categorisation that the DVLA are determined to put an end to.

I think the key thing there is “first registered”. When I was talking with Westfalia before changing my van, they said they’d had no problems registering their vans as motor caravans. It’s those converting existing vans and then trying to change their registered categorisation that the DVLA are determined to put an end to.
I can understand that, but it doesn’t stack with their argument that it needs to look like a motor caravan for the Police Etc.

I can understand that, but it doesn’t stack with their argument that it needs to look like a motor caravan for the Police Etc.
Totally agree with you, the point I'm making is that there are two different issues here that have been conflated.

The authorised converters (effectively manufacturers) who sell a turnkey, type approved and complete product will continue to be able to register their vehicles as a "motor caravan" from new. A protected title if you like.

Everyone else converting, whether DIY or by an aftermarket converter, will come up against a brick wall. That's unlikely to change as, there's no one influential (i.e. with money) in the corner of those opposing it and, as has been pointed out, the disadvantages of not having these words on your V5 have largely faded away.

Their justification for it doesn't really matter, I know from my dealings with civil service departments that the reasons given to get something through are not necessarily the main reason behind it. We can bang our heads against a wall as long as we like, but nobody who could do anything about it cares.

Last edited:

This sounds entirely plausible to me.

Totally agree with you, the point I'm making is that there are two different issues here that have been conflated.

The authorised converters (effectively manufacturers) who sell a turnkey, type approved and complete product will continue to be able to register their vehicles as a "motor caravan". A protected title if you like.

Everyone else converting, whether DIY or by an aftermarket converter, will come up against a brick wall. That's unlikely to change as, there's no one influential (i.e. with money) in the corner of those opposing it and, as has been pointed out, the disadvantages of not having these words on your V5 have largely faded away.

Their justification for it doesn't really matter, I know from my dealings with civil service departments that the reasons given to get something through are not necessarily the main reason behind it. We can bang our heads against a wall as long as we like, but nobody who could do anything about it cares.

I think you are correct. Converters who get the vans directly from VW and have various certifications / approvals for doing a new conversion then registering it for the first time, are more likely to be able to get this done than others. I’m sure that’s applicable in the case of my order.

Are we rounding this one up to 50 pages?
I’ll give it a go.. as I currently see it, there is no advantage to having a van registered as a “motor Caravan “ at first registration. A VW box fresh California would be registered as such (motor Caravan) but would attract an eye watering road tax, circa £500/year. A converted “van with windows” would still be classed as a commercial vehicle & be subject to a £280/year road tax, but still be able to do motor caravan speeds assuming it met the requirements of the legal definition of a motor Caravan. So I really don’t see what the debate is about. The win win scenario is a conversion that starts out as a panel van, but meets the requirements for a motor caravan. I honestly don’t comprehend the problem that some folk seem to insist exists.

I’ll give it a go.. as I currently see it, there is no advantage to having a van registered as a “motor Caravan “ at first registration. A VW box fresh California would be registered as such (motor Caravan) but would attract an eye watering road tax, circa £500/year. A converted “van with windows” would still be classed as a commercial vehicle & be subject to a £280/year road tax, but still be able to do motor caravan speeds assuming it met the requirements of the legal definition of a motor Caravan. So I really don’t see what the debate is about. The win win scenario is a conversion that starts out as a panel van, but meets the requirements for a motor caravan. I honestly don’t comprehend the problem that some folk seem to insist exists.

I‘m not sure how you managed to quote me on the 50 page round up, that was a DXX comment. However, by pointing that out in this post it’s another step closer to 50 I suppose :)

On your final point in your post, agreed.

Agreed, it’s no big problem, in fact it’s even better than you think as that punitive road tax you mentioned was ditched last year (though beware if you buy a used Cali from the period leading up to that as the change wasn’t backdated) so a brand new California is also only £280 a year. HOWEVER things are different if you go for a Beach as, unlike the Ocean and Coast, it’s not classed as a motor caravan.

Are we at 50 pages yet?

No, not yet. I have emailed Autohaus and am now waiting to see what they come back with re registration by them as opposed to end user, and why it wasn't done by them or the showroom.

No, not yet. I have emailed Autohaus and am now waiting to see what they come back with re registration by them as opposed to end user, and why it wasn't done by them or the showroom.
OOH Did I make it 50...

The converters that can register vehicles aren't converters, they are motorhome manufacturers that buy a base, unregistered van. 'Build it' and register it as a motorhome. They need to have thier build type approved and generally approved by VW. There are very few of these Westphalia, Hillside and a few others.

The converters can still buy a new van but it is already registered as a van etc so they cannot get it changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back