V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main reason I can see for getting the DVLA to reclassify as a 'camper' or whatever words they want to use, is to make it obvious to the police that the vehicle their unmanned/manned camera has just taken a photo of, is not subject to the restricted speed limits that apply to a 'van with windows' because it actually conforms to all the requirements needed to reclassify it as a campervan, but which the DVLA currenty refuse to do. It would negate the need to have to go through the motions of refuting the ticket and having to send in pictures and covering letters explaining that had the DVLA relented and reclassified the vehicle from the get go, this situation would never have arisen, and it wouldn't have wasted everyone's time and money to put it right.
The fact that campsites and insurance companies and all the other interested parties that use the DVLA description to set restrictions on their services should surely make them see that a change of vehicle description on the logbook is required.
Their reason for not changing to 'campervan' or 'motorhome' makes no sense when everyone involved uses that description in the DVLA data to make certain assumptions.
For instance you could reasonably expect something described as a 'motorhome' on the DVLA records (whether it looks like a rusty old Winnebago or a rather smart, low riding, blacked out windowed T6) to be carrying some form of compressed flammable gas for cooking and heating whilst a 'van with windows' would not, thus when the fire brigade turn up to a burning vehicle on a road side somewhere they would be forewarned with what they could expect to have to deal with.
If campsites are using the DVLA data to refuse use of their facilities and services to vehicles which by any reasonable comparison fits the spec (or exceeds in some cases) of a 'factory' camper conversion, the DVLA themselves indicating that it's the facilities that are present that make the vehicle what it is, not the description on the logbook, then their use of that description is flawed and discriminatory.

I recently returned my V5C to DVLA to inform them of my campervan conversion. A new document was issued this week, along with an invitation to complete a survey about my thoughts on what attributes, inside and outside, constitute a vehicle being classified as a motorhome. I've attached a few screenshots of the survey. It looks like someone at DVLA may be listening.

View attachment 126307
View attachment 126313
View attachment 126310
View attachment 126311
View attachment 126312
How do you access the survey. We should all be completing this

Reactions: JOG
I used Autohaus who are VW accredited also. Price might have been higher than the budget converters but theoretically safer etc. Mine was registered as panel van from new by them to me then changed to motor caravan after conversion. This was a workaround to get past the punitive taxation on over £40K vehicles. I don't know if they would still do this - mine was 2018 and a lot has changed since then.
Good Afternoon, just joined the forum and reading through your post and I have an Autohaus conversion as well, and am looking at getting my V5 changed and just wondered what you submitted to accomplish your changeover?

I used Autohaus who are VW accredited also. Price might have been higher than the budget converters but theoretically safer etc. Mine was registered as panel van from new by them to me then changed to motor caravan after conversion. This was a workaround to get past the punitive taxation on over £40K vehicles. I don't know if they would still do this - mine was 2018 and a lot has changed since then.

I'm currently buying a new conversion via Autohaus, should be taking delivery spring next year. So far an excellent experience and seems like a high quality choice. I've asked about registration as a "motor caravan", interested to understand the current approach being taken. Until I saw this thread I had no idea the issue existed.

Interbear, it would be interesting to hear how you get on with it and whether they re-register it for you or not. Have you asked them yet?

It is an issue if you do not want to pay the punitive road tax for 5 years because your conversion costs pushed you over the £40K threshold.

It doesnt, its not an issue :)

Kindly explain why. This thread is 48 pages long and almost 1,000 posts so it's clearly an issue for many.

As a newbie (in fact a pre-newbie as it hasn't been built yet) I'm trying to get ahead of the issue / non-issue so that I know whether or not I need to be bothered.

So is it better to be registered as a "van with windows" or a "motor caravan" in this respect?
Doesn't matter that is a separate issue, it is the purchase price that applies here. I paid for the new van which was under the £40K and it was registered as a panel van. The conversion was then done and paid for, say another £25K. If I had bought the complete package, new van and conversion then registered it it would have been over the £40K and therefore liable for the 5 years of extremely high road tax.

Doesn't matter that is a separate issue, it is the purchase price that applies here. I paid for the new van which was under the £40K and it was registered as a panel van. The conversion was then done and paid for, say another £25K. If I had bought the complete package, new van and conversion then registered it it would have been over the £40K and therefore liable for the 5 years of extremely high road tax.
I bought a California - lots of tax!

I see. I hadn’t thought of the tax issue either. I assume I’m buying everything together as a package.

Kindly explain why. This thread is 48 pages long and almost 1,000 posts so it's clearly an issue for many.

As a newbie (in fact a pre-newbie as it hasn't been built yet) I'm trying to get ahead of the issue / non-issue so that I know whether or not I need to be bothered.
And if you care to read through the thread, you’ll find out why it isn’t an issue.

And if you care to read through the thread, you’ll find out why it isn’t an issue.

I have read it actually :) but so much debate and it’s difficult to extract a conclusion.

Here’s what I think I learned.

1) DVLA classification as a “motor caravan” would mean that usual speed limits apply (good) but as a counter to that, potentially punitive road tax would also apply when the van/conversion is over £40k (not good). Although I subsequently read that this road tax increase (applying the luxury car tax effectively) had been shelved for “motor caravans” and it was back to a flat rate like any other van (good). Not sure on the latter point, I read conflicting things on that.

2) Even if classified as a panel van by DVLA, and supposedly limited to lower speed limits, the letter of the law in any speeding fine would take precedence. That would in fact allow me to legitimately drive at the usual speed limits with a fully converted campervan, irrespective of the DVLA classification. But I may have to argue that with the police or in court.

3) Being classified as a “motor caravan” usually leads to lower insurance than a panel van.

4) Most appear now to be getting reclassified as “van with windows”. Lower road tax, normal speed limits. No real issues.

I‘m sure I have some of this right and some of it wrong. Happy to be educated.

I have read it actually :) but so much debate and it’s difficult to extract a conclusion.

Here’s what I think I learned.

1) DVLA classification as a “motor caravan” would mean that usual speed limits apply (good) but as a counter to that, potentially punitive road tax would also apply when the van/conversion is over £40k (not good). Although I subsequently read that this road tax increase (applying the luxury car tax effectively) had been shelved for “motor caravans” and it was back to a flat rate like any other van (good). Not sure on the latter point, I read conflicting things on that.

2) Even if classified as a panel van by DVLA, and supposedly limited to lower speed limits, the letter of the law in any speeding fine would take precedence. That would in fact allow me to legitimately drive at the usual speed limits with a fully converted campervan, irrespective of the DVLA classification. But I may have to argue that with the police or in court.

3) Being classified as a “motor caravan” usually leads to lower insurance than a panel van.

4) Most appear now to be getting reclassified as “van with windows”. Lower road tax, normal speed limits. No real issues.

I‘m sure I have some of this right and some of it wrong. Happy to be educated.
Pretty much in a nutshell. So, no issue. Get your lower tax and have your rebuttal to a PIN on speeding ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back