V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine was ordered with 2 x single seats - on the V5 it was first registered as having 3 seats
Mine was ordered as a panel van - on the V5 it was first registered as a "van with windows"
Mine was ordered as a T30 - on the V5 it was first registered as a T32
The only thing on the V5 that was correct was the colour!!
I hope you checked the colour too....,can’t be too careful, eh?!!!

If you actually contact them, you'll find that the park mentioned *will* take converted vans if you send them a picture. They're trying to stop people turning up with a blow up mattress in the back of a works van, which is fair enough. I emailed them and asked, I've no intention of going but intrigued to see if good old common sense could apply and I'm glad to say it does.

Unfortunately, I did contact the park, who were very adamant that any converted van, even those to a high standard, would not be accepted on to the site unless the V5C states that it is a motor caravan. The words used were 'I am sorry to tell you our non registered rule for campervans/motorhomes is absolute and we cannot accept your booking.'

Strange - If the person who replied has a name beginning with "P" then maybe try again ? I have an email saying :

I have spoken to my manager and he said if you send us a couple of pictures of your van if all is well there shouldn’t be a problem with you coming.

Good luck.

Strange - If the person who replied has a name beginning with "P" then maybe try again ? I have an email saying :

I have spoken to my manager and he said if you send us a couple of pictures of your van if all is well there shouldn’t be a problem with you coming.

Good luck.
Thanks @KR. - unfortunately not... in any case we managed to get a site with the C & CC for the weekend we needed. Goes to show that this whole logbook thing is a huge source of confusion. Hopefully, common sense will apply in most scenarios!

Reactions: KR.
Having sent all relevant documents with all required information to re register my van as a camper van the DVLA sent back saying that as no obvious body modifications externally they would register as van with windows, having appealed the decision and pointed out in pictures some of the requirements that they might have missed I received a letter this morning confirming their decision and that it was final.
The van has windows on both sides and in rear doors fitted and side decals, has a pop top, awning rail, fully fitted interior with sink, cooker, storage cupboards and rock n roll bed.
Seems like I’m doing something wrong or I’m just banging my head against a brick wall, is there any advantage of it being registered as a camper van? Should I just give up or keep trying.

Reactions: CAB
Having sent all relevant documents with all required information to re register my van as a camper van the DVLA sent back saying that as no obvious body modifications externally they would register as van with windows, having appealed the decision and pointed out in pictures some of the requirements that they might have missed I received a letter this morning confirming their decision and that it was final.
The van has windows on both sides and in rear doors fitted and side decals, has a pop top, awning rail, fully fitted interior with sink, cooker, storage cupboards and rock n roll bed.
Seems like I’m doing something wrong or I’m just banging my head against a brick wall, is there any advantage of it being registered as a camper van? Should I just give up or keep trying.
You found the right thread, have a read of the 47 pages.

DVLA won't change it, even some with a hightop have been refused.

Insurers seem to have caught up, so no practical effect apart from possibly being wrongly picked up by an automated speed camera, and having to dispute any penalty.

Everything you need to know is in this thread, make a brew, put your glasses on & make yourself comfy.

Hello

I've just had a quick skim through this thread and have a question that I haven't seen the answer to but apologies if I have missed it!

I have just bought a VW T6.1 converted professionally to a camper van. I have had the V5 through today and it shows as a panel van. I am not too bothered about this to be honest other than my insurance company (Comfort) stated that I need to have it changed to either Motor Home or Van with Windows they arent bothered which. Given the 47 pages of difficulty with the Motor Home classification I will have to do Van with Windows. I cant find any info on the DVLA website about what info to send if changing from Panel Van to Van with Side Windows.

Has anyone got experience of it?

Thanks

Sam

Thanks for your reply, I have read that however my question is slightly different in that I am wondering how to register it as a van with windows given that I know there is no chance of it being classified as a motor caravan as it doesn't have a fixed high top.

I basically need it to be anything other than a panel van for the insurer but the process of how to do that isnt very well documented as far as I can find.

Thanks

There was a few threads on the Self Build Campervan Facebook group where people have had success with conversions. Needs a highroof and motorhome style windows

Reactions: CAB
Quick question on this.........

Can the application be made digitally as in via email or must it be done by post?

Asking as DVLA website states that any application sent by post will be delayed due to backlog, yet there is nothing about electronic applications

If anyone knows and if its possible, please share the email details

I recently returned my V5C to DVLA to inform them of my campervan conversion. A new document was issued this week, along with an invitation to complete a survey about my thoughts on what attributes, inside and outside, constitute a vehicle being classified as a motorhome. I've attached a few screenshots of the survey. It looks like someone at DVLA may be listening.

1628189049299.png
1628189609514.png
1628189275796.png
1628189309515.png
1628189344935.png

Might be getting a similar survey soon then as I finally got round to sending off my forms and V5 last week.

Fully expecting the new V5 to say van with windows, but if they are prepared to listen to feedback, we may get some form of concession around speed limits.

Didn’t have any issues with insurance on existing V5 classification, and don’t fancy paying higher vehicle tax, so happy to live with “van with windows” if they give a bit on speed limits, which to be honest is a complete nonsense at the moment.

Might be getting a similar survey soon then as I finally got round to sending off my forms and V5 last week.

Fully expecting the new V5 to say van with windows, but if they are prepared to listen to feedback, we may get some form of concession around speed limits.

Didn’t have any issues with insurance on existing V5 classification, and don’t fancy paying higher vehicle tax, so happy to live with “van with windows” if they give a bit on speed limits, which to be honest is a complete nonsense at the moment.
Tax class doesn’t change from the time it was first registered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back