Big Wave Campers... window leaking, leisure-battery loose..

Theduke

T6 Pro
Hi

Only had our camper since July. Needed to get to leisure battery to add a meter to check charge %. And noticed that although the battery is behind a fixed lower cupboard (accessed via screws) it’s not fixed down and can slide on the floor. Is this normal for a conversion company to do this? I’ve seen online that you can get battery trays, but a bit nervous about drilling into the floor. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

You really don't want an unsecured battery. It would be a literal cannonball in the event of an accident. I created this to tie mine down today.

20201011_153751.jpg

That looks good.
I’ll upload some photos this week. Ads. At the moment the battery can literally slide around. So I’ll have to do something.

Mine was on a 20mm wide webbing strap with a plastic clip! o_O This was under the driver’s seat. It was a flooded lead acid, weighed 27kg so would be about a tonne in an accident, filled with acid! Bad idea.

Replaced it with a proper metal tray and clamp and an AGM battery.

Hi I’ve added some better pics. The battery is behind a cupboard but can slide around within it. In photo 2 I’ve pushed it right up to the cupboard panel. Thanks for your help. 2B2A2CE7-5EE4-483C-829D-A25D3D369561.jpeg61C635F7-906E-45BE-BC2A-8DD71F52A6EA.jpeg8B5DF3A8-4241-4CC1-9903-EB096DCE8253.jpeg09A1D261-5D7D-42F6-B15C-91716BD692E3.jpeg

that definitely needs strapping down. If it was me i would fix a wooden strip along the floor so the battery has something to but up against and then another strip around the front then, using the natural step on the front and back of the battery fix plates/brackets to the wooden strip to hold the battery in place. You could also use velco straps etc, lots of ways of doing this - someone else will come up with something clever soon :whistle:

I think it’s typical of some of the conversion companies tbh I think they thrive on what the eye can’t see don’t matter, it’s a joke how some are left

Seriously I’ve just read the other comments and re looked at photos your negative battery clamp hasn’t even been used how it was intended they’ve put the wire to the screw head these are meant to clamp the cable in the hole below

too busy looking at the bottom of the battery to spot the obviously poor wiring :oops:. If you have electric hook up I would check they have not use domestic wiring on that as well. What are the crocodile clips for?

Do you know who the conversion company was? This really isn't upto spec. I hope you get it sorted.

that definitely needs strapping down. If it was me i would fix a wooden strip along the floor so the battery has something to but up against and then another strip around the front then, using the natural step on the front and back of the battery fix plates/brackets to the wooden strip to hold the battery in place. You could also use velco straps etc, lots of ways of doing this - someone else will come up with something clever soon :whistle:
Thanks

too busy looking at the bottom of the battery to spot the obviously poor wiring :oops:. If you have electric hook up I would check they have not use domestic wiring on that as well. What are the crocodile clips for?
Clips are for portable solar panel, to trickle charge. I unscrewed the cupboard to do this. That’s when I saw the batter at an angle like it had moved.

Back