V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have seen ‘Facebook’ claims people have had tickets cancelled. So no real evidence! Will be interesting to see how you get on.

The dvla have had my v5 to update the number of seats only (didn’t even bother to try getting it reclassified as a camper) for months now. Blaming covid for the delays. Seems the dvla have not successfully adapted to home working!

Good luck with the ticket. Please keep us informed of the actions taken and responses. I did think before that we should cloud fund a generic lawyer letter to respond to such a case. If this is something you want to look into, I would definitely contribute. :thumbsup:

Also I think that when you write to give them a way out (save face etc.) saying I understand that this ticket may have been issued automatically due to its N1 classification and that this will not show that it has been converted etc. enclosing photographs. Bla Bla, and the DLVA are happy that it meets the criteria of a Campervan (MPV) even though they are no longer changing the classification for converted vehicles.

I'm going to post some info to see if this helps, I have an N1 call vehicle with a motorhome body. I did loads of looking at this before I bought the van as knew there were lots of issues recently on it, but I am only am amateur regarding vans, but slightly above average at google.

This is an extract from my V5 with no personal details on;
1593438679339.png

You can have a commercial vehicle, tax registered for motorhome speeds. (If DVLA are not playing games). In my example;

Item J on your V5 is - N1 Vs M1 this is for tax only (for the purposes of this discussion), not speed limites, this will be what the vehicle was type approved as, so the carravele for instance started life as a passenger vehicle so will always be a M1, my camper was a transporter so will always be an N1 and taxed as such / drives the taxation class (item x on the V5). The vehicle category is driven by the type approval number which if you google relates back to particular vans made in Germany. The only way to change this is to put your van back through testing (like you would with a custom car and possibly end up with a Q Plate (whole other discussion).

Item D.5. is the body type, this dictates what the 'body type is'. On mine it is motor caravan as when it was converted the converter was able to get it changed (prior to the renewed messing around by DVLA, with I believe happened before around 10 years ago and got reversed by pressure from campervan groups, camping club, etc). So if DVLA play ball this is what people need to get changed for converted transporters.

This list of vehicle categories are below and link to the vehicle certification agency;

1593438113216.png

If you are unsure you can put your reg into the london ULEZ or the dartford crossing that use the DVLA database and work out what you hvae.

As you can see mine is exempt ULEZ (as it's a motorhome)e.g.

1593439536051.png
Or Dartford crossing, vehicle class is B, so again motorhome;

1593439656384.png

Vehicle classes;
1593439738490.png

I'm going to post some info to see if this helps, I have an N1 call vehicle with a motorhome body. I did loads of looking at this before I bought the van as knew there were lots of issues recently on it, but I am only am amateur regarding vans, but slightly above average at google.

This is an extract from my V5 with no personal details on;
View attachment 75685

You can have a commercial vehicle, tax registered for motorhome speeds. (If DVLA are not playing games). In my example;

Item J on your V5 is - N1 Vs M1 this is for tax only (for the purposes of this discussion), not speed limites, this will be what the vehicle was type approved as, so the carravele for instance started life as a passenger vehicle so will always be a M1, my camper was a transporter so will always be an N1 and taxed as such / drives the taxation class (item x on the V5). The vehicle category is driven by the type approval number which if you google relates back to particular vans made in Germany. The only way to change this is to put your van back through testing (like you would with a custom car and possibly end up with a Q Plate (whole other discussion).

Item D.5. is the body type, this dictates what the 'body type is'. On mine it is motor caravan as when it was converted the converter was able to get it changed (prior to the renewed messing around by DVLA, with I believe happened before around 10 years ago and got reversed by pressure from campervan groups, camping club, etc). So if DVLA play ball this is what people need to get changed for converted transporters.

This list of vehicle categories are below and link to the vehicle certification agency;

View attachment 75684

If you are unsure you can put your reg into the london ULEZ or the dartford crossing that use the DVLA database and work out what you hvae.

As you can see mine is exempt ULEZ (as it's a motorhome)e.g.

View attachment 75686
Or Dartford crossing, vehicle class is B, so again motorhome;

View attachment 75687

Vehicle classes;
View attachment 75688

Some interesting information there, however I am not sure exactly the point you are trying to make regarding speed limits.

As you started the N1 or M1 classification is nothing to do with speed lints, although it is what is used by Police/ Cameras.

Also its now not possible (or extremely difficult) to get the body type reclassified as MOTOR CARAVAN. Now most are coming back as 'VAN WITH WINDOWS'.

Now the interesting bit for me is the Dartford Crossing where my T6 comes out showing as category 'C'. However on my V5 the body type is van with windows (is has windows behind the doors), which should put it into category B.

As regard to speed limits I should be at car levels. As my 'van' satifies the criteria for a DPV due to windows, seats and Unladen Mass below the limit.

The DVLA really need to make this a lot more simple.

Some interesting information there, however I am not sure exactly the point you are trying to make regarding speed limits.

As you started the N1 or M1 classification is nothing to do with speed lints, although it is what is used by Police/ Cameras.

Also its now not possible (or extremely difficult) to get the body type reclassified as MOTOR CARAVAN. Now most are coming back as 'VAN WITH WINDOWS'.

Now the interesting bit for me is the Dartford Crossing where my T6 comes out showing as category 'C'. However on my V5 the body type is van with windows (is has windows behind the doors), which should put it into category B.

As regard to speed limits I should be at car levels. As my 'van' satifies the criteria for a DPV due to windows, seats and Unladen Mass below the limit.

The DVLA really need to make this a lot more simple.

So the Dartford crossing sees your van as the same class as other commercial vehicles and pulls it's data from DVLA, so you may end up in a grey area over speed limits. I think it's good information for people to know if they cannot get their V5 changed as you can make a decision on how much risk you take with the speed.

If you do actually use the dartford crossing it's worth reading some of the issues they have created with people paying the wrong class or having hire vehicle on thier account and endig up with debt collectors on the doorstep.

Van with windows is widely reported as a grey area and you would have to appeal (either in the old fashioned way at the roadside) or via mail and possibly court and be able to justify your point.

My main point above was to explain the difference between vehicle class, body type and why you would try to get one changed (body type) but not the other (vehicle class). Also to provide a simple way of checking what the DVLA system is telling users (government toll operators and the fuzz).

@Iain G,
Surly any magistrate faced with this would recognise a conflict in the law/regulations exists thereby leading to uncertainty and would not only dismiss the ticket but also refer it on to judicial review to get clarification.

I had to attend a driver's awareness course only three weeks ago (driving Honda Jazz) and brought this subject up when told we all know the correct speed limits according to our vehicle and road we were on and the "teacher/expert/retired driving instructor" admitted he didn't have a clue although he knew both bits of legislation.

As far as the Dartford crossing, we have just been issued a fine for not paying and the notice said the charge for our vehicle was £3... But here's the thing. We had already paid the charge via interweb which stated the charge for our (fully converted) vehicle was £2.50! Needless to say we are challenging the fine.
20200629_203040.jpg

20200629_205145.jpg

Last edited:
No. Van with Windows. Re registered in Jan this year
they must cross reference it with the DVLA mine got reclassified as motor caravan before changes and on Dartford crossing account its in the B category £2.50 never had a penalty notice
which makes you wonder if a converted van classed as van with windows is still classed as a van when it comes to speed limits and tolls

they must cross reference it with the DVLA mine got reclassified as motor caravan before changes and on Dartford crossing account its in the B category £2.50 never had a penalty notice
which makes you wonder if a converted van classed as van with windows is still classed as a van when it comes to speed limits and tolls
Well it's proof that two departments and bits of legislation are at odds with each other. Which is a bonus I suppose!

Good morning all.

I came across this topic a few months ago after researching into problems with the whole 'motor caravan' registration debacle. I thought I'd bookmark it as I intended to run at car speed limits. My vehicle is fully converted to a campervan but I know the status would not be updated on the V5 due to the silly new DVSA rules.

I have passed several manned speed cameras at 60mph (single carriageway road). Recently I received a notice of intended prosecution letter for travelling at 60mph exactly. It stated the offence to be exceeding the speed limit for a goods vehicle.

Wanting to defend my position, I have done some digging into the legislation, to find out exactly what constitutes a motor caravan when viewed under the applicable legislation, and have followed the following legal trail as I understand it:

The 1984 Road Traffic Regulation Act sets out the speed limit of 30mph on restricted roads (urban areas). Section 86 of the act also refers to speed limits for certain classes of vehicles (where goods vehicles are referred to amongst others). All other limits are applied by orders, which for simplicity on this matter mean that the national speed limit is 60mph for 'normal' vehicles.

The police have interpreted my vehicle as a goods vehicle and therefore falls under the 'certain class of vehicle', and therefore is not governed by speed limits contained in any such order.

Section 86 of the RTR act refers you to Schedule 6 where speed limits of certain classes are detailed. The scenario of a simple motor caravan is not listed. I therefore conclude (as widely accepted) that a motor caravan is treated as a normal vehicle for regular speed limits, and this seems to be where the legal link is made (by absence of the fact it should be treated any differently). Furthermore, for clarity, if a motor caravan or car were to be towing a trailer, the reduced speed of 50mph is detailed here.

MOST IMPORTANTLY – Schedule 6 of the RTR act sets out the definition of a motor caravan (or at least refers you to another definition). It is this definition that I am certain should be considered, as it is written into the law under which they are prosecuting. It states - “motor caravan” has the same meaning as in Regulation 2(1) of the M4Motor Vehicles (Type Approval) (Great Britain) Regulations 1979;.

The regulation 2(1) that it refers to gives the following definition - “motor caravan” means a motor vehicle which is constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers and their effects and which contains, as permanently installed equipment, the facilities which are reasonably necessary for enabling the vehicle to provide mobile living accommodation for its users;

Would anyone like to offer their opinion on these findings as I am prepared to defend my position based on the above?

@Iain G - it would seem that Jerba Campervans agree with you...

Good luck with your defence, a lot of folk will be watching how it goes.

what info did you have to give them that made them come to the conclusion you were cat B for the crossing did you say van with windows or motorhome
No. Just went on website to pay, put in our reg No in the box and the computer told us the charge was £2.50

No. Just went on website to pay, put in our reg No in the box and the computer told us the charge was £2.50
just so you can prove that fact why not try it again put your reg in get the price and screen shot it you may have to do it on your phone to screen shot it plus did you get an emailed recipient with van reg on it if you have surely they cant argue with that

Well, that's the problem. The DVLA just alter to Van with windows regardless of what you tell or show them. PC plod when he accesses the system just sees it as a van and acts accordingly ie speed wise. I think it will take a few court cases to see if the courts will throw out any speeding fines for a converted van. I do wonder if the DVLA actually makes a note of any details regarding a conversion or just now simply alter it to a van with windows? We shall watch with bated breath.:confused:

Ok, I'm confused myself now. Just went on to pretend ide just been over and they quoted me £3. Maybe I've miss remembered and I had actually just tried to pay the lesser charge and got caught! Haha, classic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'm confused myself now. Just went on to pretend ide just been over and they quoted me £3. Maybe I've miss remembered and I had actually just tried to pay the lesser charge and got caught! Haha, classic!

When you speak to them at DART they haven't got a clue. They tried to send me a fine for non payment of a crossing as an old company car was on my log in, didn't even know I had a log in.

Anyway I explained this and they said I had to pay the fine anyway, even though the person driving could have paid, because it was linked to my email address I had to pay too.

After much heated discussion I asked where they would send the offical notice of intended prosecution... the vehicle owner so told them to do that. If the company paid they can prove it as it will be on thier expenses, if they didn't they should have....

Slightly off topic but if you use hire or company cars and use the DART drossing don't add registrations to your account, or if you do you have to remove them, or you get the fines not the vehicle owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back