V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add what I posted about my Bilbos Celex Campervan I've just noticed that the Taxation Class is a Diesel Car. odd or what. !

hi folks I sent my log book in to be changed they refused it .saying it needs 2 windows on same side .decals down the sides ,two forward faceing seats.a 6 foot bed ,2 burner cooker. etc so I recently sent it back in try again but not heard back as yet .been about 6/7 weeks now .it helps me keep my insurance down not sure if it helps anything else other than the police seeing if were sneaking off down to the coast

My question relating to this subject is:

How is the VW T6 California ok to be classed as a motor caravan when it doesn't satisfy the requirements set out by the DVLA? It doesn't have a high-top roof which I believe to be our main stumbling block. When I compare pictures of a california and my van to the untrained eye they look identical

Why not ask the DVLA? I gave up trying to get any real common sense out of them a long time ago but you might have more luck.

Why not ask the DVLA? I gave up trying to get any real common sense out of them a long time ago but you might have more luck.
Ha ha I might just do that. Resubmit an application along with photos of a California stating they look identical to mine and they are classed as motor caravans. May be worth a shot

So can we get our vans classified as MPV's ?
Dunno, but I asked about this when I was about to take the plunge and order a California in Feb. Dropped the idea for now till I see what finances are like later this year so never went can’t further

So can we get our vans classified as MPV's ?

Californias and Carravelles are type tested as a car, so can be an MPV.

Transporters are commercial vehicles so cannot be reclassified, without going through a whole load of inspections and testing to re-classify.

Mine was proffssionally converted from a transporter, body type is motor caravan, tax class is LGV (still a van). The tax is cheaper as LGV but because body type is motorcaravan you can do those speeds (although I think you have to send a copy of the log book if a camera gets you to prove so).

Most insurers don't need the V5 changing to insure as a camper, just make sure you ask them when you get quotes.

Californias and Carravelles are type tested as a car, so can be an MPV.

Transporters are commercial vehicles so cannot be reclassified, without going through a whole load of inspections and testing to re-classify.

Mine was proffssionally converted from a transporter, body type is motor caravan, tax class is LGV (still a van). The tax is cheaper as LGV but because body type is motorcaravan you can do those speeds (although I think you have to send a copy of the log book if a camera gets you to prove so).

Most insurers don't need the V5 changing to insure as a camper, just make sure you ask them when you get quotes.
I'm all good on the insurance side of things, AF insured it as a campervan despite the tax class being van with side windows. I am asking more for the speed limit changes. Just looking at the DVLA checklist and for the external items it says 'you must have a combination of', doesn't say all, so if I put crap graphics on, I have a awning rail, side door etc etc, only thing I don't have is the high roof. But as they didnt say all surely I may get away with it. Worth a try I suppose ha ha

I'm all good on the insurance side of things, AF insured it as a campervan despite the tax class being van with side windows. I am asking more for the speed limit changes. Just looking at the DVLA checklist and for the external items it says 'you must have a combination of', doesn't say all, so if I put crap graphics on, I have a awning rail, side door etc etc, only thing I don't have is the high roof. But as they didnt say all surely I may get away with it. Worth a try I suppose ha ha
Good luck, I hope it works. There are lots of people unhappy about this.

Good morning all.

I came across this topic a few months ago after researching into problems with the whole 'motor caravan' registration debacle. I thought I'd bookmark it as I intended to run at car speed limits. My vehicle is fully converted to a campervan but I know the status would not be updated on the V5 due to the silly new DVSA rules.

I have passed several manned speed cameras at 60mph (single carriageway road). Recently I received a notice of intended prosecution letter for travelling at 60mph exactly. It stated the offence to be exceeding the speed limit for a goods vehicle.

Wanting to defend my position, I have done some digging into the legislation, to find out exactly what constitutes a motor caravan when viewed under the applicable legislation, and have followed the following legal trail as I understand it:

The 1984 Road Traffic Regulation Act sets out the speed limit of 30mph on restricted roads (urban areas). Section 86 of the act also refers to speed limits for certain classes of vehicles (where goods vehicles are referred to amongst others). All other limits are applied by orders, which for simplicity on this matter mean that the national speed limit is 60mph for 'normal' vehicles.

The police have interpreted my vehicle as a goods vehicle and therefore falls under the 'certain class of vehicle', and therefore is not governed by speed limits contained in any such order.

Section 86 of the RTR act refers you to Schedule 6 where speed limits of certain classes are detailed. The scenario of a simple motor caravan is not listed. I therefore conclude (as widely accepted) that a motor caravan is treated as a normal vehicle for regular speed limits, and this seems to be where the legal link is made (by absence of the fact it should be treated any differently). Furthermore, for clarity, if a motor caravan or car were to be towing a trailer, the reduced speed of 50mph is detailed here.

MOST IMPORTANTLY – Schedule 6 of the RTR act sets out the definition of a motor caravan (or at least refers you to another definition). It is this definition that I am certain should be considered, as it is written into the law under which they are prosecuting. It states - “motor caravan” has the same meaning as in Regulation 2(1) of the M4Motor Vehicles (Type Approval) (Great Britain) Regulations 1979;.

The regulation 2(1) that it refers to gives the following definition - “motor caravan” means a motor vehicle which is constructed or adapted for the carriage of passengers and their effects and which contains, as permanently installed equipment, the facilities which are reasonably necessary for enabling the vehicle to provide mobile living accommodation for its users;

Would anyone like to offer their opinion on these findings as I am prepared to defend my position based on the above?

I think you are correct. DVLA have said on their website the tax classification does not impact the speed restrictions. The police just do not have a better database. If you send details and maybe some pictures to the police they should cancel the ticket.

I think you are correct. DVLA have said on their website the tax classification does not impact the speed restrictions. The police just do not have a better database. If you send details and maybe some pictures to the police they should cancel the ticket.
I'd rather drive at goods vehicle speed limits to save all the ball ache of appealing and trying to prove it even though mines classed as motor caravan

I think that you are right.
This well renowned police training book says that
(My précis)
Although constructed as a goods vehicle..
Where it is adapted for a different purpose (in their example - to carry passengers) and these are substantial and dramatic changes effectively it’s initial classification can be changed.
And a test would be that if the vehicle were to be originally built in that form, it would have been classed differently.
Clearly the DVLA guidelines are merely that - guidelines.
1D98CDE5-3A78-41C8-BD6B-03106D7F52DD.jpegD8690FB7-AB00-4827-B885-9612C09EBFED.jpeg

Would anyone like to offer their opinion on these findings as I am prepared to defend my position based on the above?
Further back in the thread I believe that there were a couple of quotes from the DVLA saying if it meets all the requirements then that will do and pointing this out will surface.

"if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks, it's probably a duck"

Do you know if there are any cases that have been contested to date? I am not aware of any so it would be interesting to see if the police put up much of a fight.

Do you know if there are any cases that have been contested to date? I am not aware of any so it would be interesting to see if the police put up much of a fight.
There was something similar regarding use of the Rotherhithe tunnel on the Cali forum last week, where he used the definition of a gods vehicle to prove his wasn't and got a penalty charge reversed..

Iain - For what it's worth (and I'm not a lawyer), I'm with the others who responded to your post and particularly like Loz's 'duck' quote. The very best of luck if you decide to take it forward and please let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back